facilities master plan question

CYVADER

Nov 16, 2006
Cornfields
Taking the Next Big Step: Erb and Marge Hunziker - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports
Just got done reading this article. i know they aren't the only ones to donate large sums of money since the introduction of the master plan, but does anyone know how much has actually been donated since the idea came into effect? also does anyone know how much will have to be raised to get the green light on phase 2 of the project? i would think with a few more donations of this size, it would have to be as close to a sure deal as there is. thanks in advance for any help

cy1225

Oct 6, 2007
Taking the Next Big Step: Erb and Marge Hunziker - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - Iowa State Cyclones Sports
Just got done reading this article. i know they aren't the only ones to donate large sums of money since the introduction of the master plan, but does anyone know how much has actually been donated since the idea came into effect? also does anyone know how much will have to be raised to get the green light on phase 2 of the project? i would think with a few more donations of this size, it would have to be as close to a sure deal as there is. thanks in advance for any help

Not enough that is why they have backed off on enclosing the south endzone and delaying the basketball practice faciltiy. They are borrowing most of the money to refurbish JTS and paying the debt off with suite money.

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Not enough that is why they have backed off on enclosing the south endzone and delaying the basketball practice faciltiy. They are borrowing most of the money to refurbish JTS and paying the debt off with suite money.

This originally, is not suppose to get done till 2010. 2009 they are suppose to start on the practice facility but that is pending.

They haven't back off the bowling of the endzone. The order is suites, practice facility, bowling, and finishing Hilton.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
At this point:
They are deciding which will be first, the practice facility, or bowling in the endxone.
Neither will happen without a lead donor of at least $8-12 million to get it started.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
It seemed like people were most excited about bowling in the south endzone. It now appears that might not happen.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

This originally, is not suppose to get done till 2010. 2009 they are suppose to start on the practice facility but that is pending.

They haven't back off the bowling of the endzone. The order is suites, practice facility, bowling, and finishing Hilton.

Bellz is correct. Nothing has been slowed down to the best of my knowledge.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
It seemed like people were most excited about bowling in the south endzone. It now appears that might not happen.

Actually JP has said they may do it next year for 09 instead of 2010 if they get a big a donor.... Don't believe anything has been said about them aborting the plan or it going downhill.

CyAg

May 22, 2006
If they get a donor, nothing is slowed down. If not, all is on hold.

Actually acccording to the regents docuemnts, right now bowling is in the future, wth no date on it. So it technically is on a sort of holding status.

However, this changes if the bowling of the endzone is moved ahead of the practice facility.

Again, without a lead donor, neither will happen.

Last edited:

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
I really see the need for both, but Football makes the money and the stadium looks like it is a Conference USA stadium right now. So We need to get the endzone done IMO>

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I've gotta be honest I think BBall needs the practice facility more than football needs the bowled in endzone. From an aesthetic standpoint the stadium looks better but let's face it, the basketball team is practicing wherever they can get space at the moment. Plus the BBall facility supports what has traditionally been our stronger sport. Toss in the fact that the BBall facility will serve three sports and it becomes an even stronger case. We need both, but I think it's harder to justify the endzone when we don't sell out JTS all that often and all we are doing is adding some pretty crappy seats.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Nothing has changed yet, the order might change, and they are all working hard on getting the gifts necessary to get it done. I think to get it all done the target total fundraising was around $35 million, the rest with debt. How well the NCC does will help allow more debt. So we can all help.

They are not going to be crappy seats, these seats will be replacing the hillside, and hopefully add a few more, with the ability to expand. The difference is that these seats should sell at closer to full price than the hillside tickets do.

Even if we do have to wait a year or two more, it will be done a lot faster than if JP was not here at all!!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I've gotta be honest I think BBall needs the practice facility more than football needs the bowled in endzone. From an aesthetic standpoint the stadium looks better but let's face it, the basketball team is practicing wherever they can get space at the moment. Plus the BBall facility supports what has traditionally been our stronger sport. Toss in the fact that the BBall facility will serve three sports and it becomes an even stronger case. We need both, but I think it's harder to justify the endzone when we don't sell out JTS all that often and all we are doing is adding some pretty crappy seats.

I agree. Football does pay the bills, but our Basketball team has been better over the last 20 years. The football team has got a lot of new things that they did need. Yes JTC needs to be improved, but bowling in the staduim is not going to add capacity just real seats instead of grass seats. It will add some cash to the Dept.

We have to keep coaches happy. The U of I has been saying they will build a BB facality and upgrade CH, that is yet to happen and it doesnt set well with some. When GMac came he was told he would get a BB facality. The VB team is doing well and I would think Christie Johnson is a hot name for coaching openings. We already lost a great gymnastics coach due to poor facalities. We all know we can compete in BB, but inorder to stay on top year in year out, they need a state of the art Facality before the bowling in of the endzone.

If nothing else the basketball team is due for something nice, new, and just for them.

ColoradoClone

Apr 6, 2006
Agree. Too bad that we lost Gene Smith in 2000 or the south end would already be bowled in. That BVD was some visionary.

We rag on BVDV a lot, and I'll admit that I'm glad he's gone too, but really he should get some credit. He did have the vision for the indoor practice facility, the athletes academic success center, created a large surplus fund that funded the hilton scoreboards and new seats (even though that was JP's plan) and also left our program in good enough shape to lure in a top notch AD like Pollard.

Cyano

Nov 16, 2006
Des Moines
Basketball facilities need to come first. I agree with Cyko, we lost our gymnastic coach and we don't want to lose Christie Johnson as the Vball coach, we need the improvements at hilton first and it would have the biggest effect on keeping the largest number of people happy (coaches, players, recruits, etc). Bowling in the south endzone looks cool and makes the stadium look better but it is not needed until we are consistently packing the Jack to its fullest and we are running out of room. In that case we need more room. Until that happens Hilton comes first.

Cyclone711

Oct 27, 2007
Minnesota
People seem to be forgetting that phase II of JTS renovation doesn't just include bowling in the end zone. They will also be widening the east and south concourses while adding new concessions to the east and south. Also they will be improving the fencing system so it doesn't look so crappy. So it is not just "seats" that they'll be adding.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron