Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
But that was a 100 year flood so we are good for another 90+ years. :jimlad:

(and yes I know that is a natural recurring probability but with more runoff, etc. the likelihood of a recurrence is more like 20-30 years.)
100 year flood doesn't mean a flood every 100 years. It means during a given year, there is a one percent chance of it flooding at a certain elevation.
Great news then, they are mitigating that risk. We are an engineering school, we'll figure it out. Saylorville lake was a river for thousands of years. Now it's a lake. It's not magic, people know how to fix these things.
And what engineers messed up when they built the football stadium?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
The major reason Hilton got inundated up to the lower bowl was the berm under the loading ramp down into the building got washed away, kinda like a dam failure under a road. Hopefully they have corrected that with proper engineering. They also have flood gates at Scheman and Hilton Westend street entrance. Hilton had survived one flood prior to that with minimal damage, water came in through sewer pipes running through the berm (service for the locker rooms and floor drains on the main floor, the west end entrance was sandbagged for that flood. (Had 1" of water on main floor) but pumps were able to keep up with those sewer pipe backflow. Locker rooms had to be refurbished. But the millions of damage occurred when the back ramp gave way in the second big flood
I am really curious how the flood plain map looks like in that district as determined by the Federal Government.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
It’s called an entertainment district not suburban strip mall district.
It’ll be bars/restaurants, a liquor store or convenience store, hopefully a place with a stage, and something fun like a barcade. The only traditional retail will be a fan shop which should be moved off duff anyway.
I'd bet they DON'T have a liquor store. That would take money away from bars/restaurants/hotels within the district. I'm sure a hotel would offer a pantry like most hotels do anymore, but only for hotel guests. It seems like anything along the lines of a gas station/convenience store would be making less money (and less sales tax) than bars/restaurants/hotels, on very valuable real estate. People that want cheap booze will still go to one of the other handful of liquor stores on the way into their tailgates.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Anyone worried about us losing our signature tailgating in open lots needs to educate themselves on this project. It also includes paving several current grass lots near the new bridge. Plus the vet med grass area on the North side of S 16th St

Reactions: Mr.G.Spot

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Moving RVs to the new area (old G7) effectively reclaims most/all of D1-D4. And there will be 350 new paved spots around Scheman/Stephens/Fisher this fall as well.

Reactions: cyfan92

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Without a doubt parking is going to be a problem in the future for football games, so now is the time to start thinking ahead and planning for it. We have limited space around the stadium without much opportunity to grow.

So how about allowing stadium Saturday parking at the West towers with a shuttle to bring people down to the stadium. We already do not allow students to park around the stadium during FB games, so moving them out of the West towers parking lot should not be that big of a deal.

TCU and Baylor run a very efficient shuttle system to get fans down to their stadiums, have been on both, ISU can do the same for the West towers and the Northern part of the campus.

cyclo120

Apr 11, 2006
Obviously this is a much smaller version but it you have been to the Star in Frisco the cowboys literally built an entertainment district around their practice facility and offices and I always was amazed by that. Curious and excited to see how our smaller version plays out.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Without a doubt parking is going to be a problem in the future for football games, so now is the time to start thinking ahead and planning for it. We have limited space around the stadium without much opportunity to grow.

So how about allowing stadium Saturday parking at the West towers with a shuttle to bring people down to the stadium. We already do not allow students to park around the stadium during FB games, so moving them out of the West towers parking lot should not be that big of a deal.

TCU and Baylor run a very efficient shuttle system to get fans down to their stadiums, have been on both, ISU can do the same for the West towers and the Northern part of the campus.
Would make sense to also use Ames Middle School for people West of Ames.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
From someone that had to deal with the flooding issues back in '93 down by the old Save-U-More, the flood waters started to recede once the water started going over the bring on I-35. I don't know if the bigger bridges or the flood mitigation along the Ioway Creek will completely resolve the issue though. Talk about Ames almost being landlocked back then.

We just went to Tip-Top as there was nothing else we could do as had moved all our equipment out of our storage shed at 6 am the morning of the flood. Our storage shed was supposed to be built up out of the floodplain. We just set stakes in the ground every hour as the waters kept rising. It got to about 5' from our office building basement entry. I wanna say they closed I-35 around noon and by 2 pm it started going over the bridge. Our storage shed stayed dry.

180class

Dec 30, 2015
Great news then, they are mitigating that risk. We are an engineering school, we'll figure it out. Saylorville lake was a river for thousands of years. Now it's a lake. It's not magic, people know how to fix these things.
Except now everything upstream from Saylorville looks like a nuclear test site. Saylorville Lake was the worst thing the Army Corps of Engineers could have done. But hey, at least all the people who live outside their means have a place to enjoy their ski boats and jet skis until the bank repos them.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The major reason Hilton got inundated up to the lower bowl was the berm under the loading ramp down into the building got washed away, kinda like a dam failure under a road. Hopefully they have corrected that with proper engineering. They also have flood gates at Scheman and Hilton Westend street entrance. Hilton had survived one flood prior to that with minimal damage, water came in through sewer pipes running through the berm (service for the locker rooms and floor drains on the main floor, the west end entrance was sandbagged for that flood. (Had 1" of water on main floor) but pumps were able to keep up with those sewer pipe backflow. Locker rooms had to be refurbished. But the millions of damage occurred when the back ramp gave way in the second big flood

I think the impact of Center Drive on the Hilton flood is often overlooked. The fact that Center Drive is built on a large berm turns the Hilton/Scheman area into a bowl. Water came in from the north and east, but couldn't flow out to the south at a rate fast enough to avoid flooding. If the Center Drive berm wasn't there (or if massive pumping had been used to "empty the bowl"), I doubt Hilton would have flooded.

P.S. In 2010, I went to the area and noted the "rush" of water coming through the walking tunnels under Center Drive. I thought they must have pumps in place. Nope. It was just the "rush" of water coming from water pressure inside the "bowl" around Hilton.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
No @#$&! This is Pollard‘s solution for a tapped out, small donor base. He’s conceded that the base isn’t growing and the small number of donors have their breaking point. Again, we lag behind all of our peers in donations; so…welcome the Pollard & Light district. When I get bumped to grass lots, that are newly paved, I won’t be blaming Pollard.

As I've heard Pollard talk about it, he describes it more as "controlling our own destiny." We have an opportunity to build a big revenue-generating district that most schools don't have.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Except now everything upstream from Saylorville looks like a nuclear test site. Saylorville Lake was the worst thing the Army Corps of Engineers could have done. But hey, at least all the people who live outside their means have a place to enjoy their ski boats and jet skis until the bank repos them.

The people of Lake Dehli in eastern Iowa say, "we went from a penthouse to an outhouse in a matter of a few hours".

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron