Facilities and financial update from Jamie Pollard

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
You boys wanna come play big boy football? You know the big12. Play against central Floridas. BYU? Ya they won a title when your parents were babies. Houston? Yer damn right we got our own strip mall in a flood zone to compete with Houston. We are recruiting that city. Come to our Buffalo Wild Wings next to the stadium most of the tvs work. Get your mom a le crusent oven pad from William somina. Get your girl friend a Biuld a bear in a isu sweater.
Isu 2035 is gonna rock
Stick to the cave.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
You boys wanna come play big boy football? You know the big12. Play against central Floridas. BYU? Ya they won a title when your parents were babies. Houston? Yer damn right we got our own strip mall in a flood zone to compete with Houston. We are recruiting that city. Come to our Buffalo Wild Wings next to the stadium most of the tvs work. Get your mom a le crusent oven pad from William somina. Get your girl friend a Biuld a bear in a isu sweater.
Isu 2035 is gonna rock
You're right. What we need is a massive expanse of flat concrete. Nothing but flat grey stretching to the horizon. That's the hallmark of a winning football program.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
The latter is especially needed. Johnnys is downright claustrophobia-inducing before\during games.

Completely agree. I don’t even enjoy Johnny’s. Way too packed. They need to restrict it, add another similar place, or expand

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Looking for the return of stadium concerts with the entertainment district.
One would hope but JP has never hinted to that. In fact I thought he was quoted as saying athletics facilities should be used for athletics.

I like the Hilton renovation and wonder if they have discussed something similar at JTS. The open air concourse just seems cheap to me and glass would be a good way to tie the two together.

Reactions: allin4clones

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
How busy was the Memorial Union hotel? Truly asking because I don't know. I would think anyone that used to stay there - visting academics, etc - would now likely stay at the new hotel.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
JFC. Feel free to show yourself out.
No @#$&! This is Pollard‘s solution for a tapped out, small donor base. He’s conceded that the base isn’t growing and the small number of donors have their breaking point. Again, we lag behind all of our peers in donations; so…welcome the Pollard & Light district. When I get bumped to grass lots, that are newly paved, I won’t be blaming Pollard.

Last edited:

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
It’s called an entertainment district not suburban strip mall district.
It’ll be bars/restaurants, a liquor store or convenience store, hopefully a place with a stage, and something fun like a barcade. The only traditional retail will be a fan shop which should be moved off duff anyway.

Reactions: DFWClone

cyballrulz93

SuperFanatic
Jan 11, 2010
Isu 2035 is gonna rock
Give it a rest dude....your schtick is getting old.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
I think that people need to have a holistic view of the whole thing. First off, tailgating is the golden goose for ISU. It's what keeps people coming to games win or lose. So what do you do to make tailgating more of an event than it already is? You add amenities. RVs getting power hookups and the ped bridge are a start. Then you give people without prime spots a reason to come. A restaurant and bar district would do that. A hotel with parking garage makes it easier for people to show up and stay.

Second, when you look at Ames, it's a mess as far as commercial. No one goes to Campustown because you can't park there and it's so student focused. Main St is kind of a jumbled area. Duff is a bunch of chain restaurants with horrible traffic. Somerset is out of the way. I think if you have a couple of decent restaurants and bars with easy access and parking, it will do OK all year round, not just during ISU events. Something like Toppling Goliath would be a huge win.

Third, with the AD taking over Scheman, CY and Fisher, you have more events that will draw people in. Having a hotel and some bars and restaurants increases the likelihood of getting concerts and conferences. And conferences are huge money makers. At a time when TV revenue for the AD is up in the air at the very least, another revenue stream is huge.

Finally, I'm just not too concerned about the floodplain. The biggest flood we've ever seen never even got into JTS. It flooded Hilton because Hilton is at a lower elevation. If you build anything in those lots up a few feet, there's just not much of a chance that water will ever get to it with the mitigation work that's been done downstream.

Excellent post....basically said all the reasons why I am super excited for this.

Especially the ease of access to this district on non game days....lots of students live in the vacinity, easy parking for people visiting campus and not wanting to walk/mess with parking, etc.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
It’s called an entertainment district not suburban strip mall district.
It’ll be bars/restaurants, a liquor store or convenience store, hopefully a place with a stage, and something fun like a barcade. The only traditional retail will be a fan shop which should be moved off duff anyway.
The fan shop had maybe the worst parking lot in strip mall history.

• Agree
Reactions: IASTATE07