F1 2024 Discussion

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Thank Goodness for rain. That made it interesting. If it was just a normal race, it looked like Max was pulling away again after the race got back to normal. I felt bad for Kevin. He could have made some good points if they didn't screw that pit stop up. Croft said it best. George keeps making huge mistakes when he has a shot.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Thank Goodness for rain. That made it interesting. If it was just a normal race, it looked like Max was pulling away again after the race got back to normal. I felt bad for Kevin. He could have made some good points if they didn't screw that pit stop up. Croft said it best. George keeps making huge mistakes when he has a shot.

Honestly I think he probably maxed out the car/strategy they had. Great first stint but that last one got sketchy a couple times where it felt like he was overdriving the car.

Did anyone watch the cool down room? George walked in just as his clash with Piastri was on the screen and he said something like "I guess rubbing is racing" complaining about Piastri and Lando just shoots Max a look.

Reactions: Drew0311

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Honestly I think he probably maxed out the car/strategy they had. Great first stint but that last one got sketchy a couple times where it felt like he was overdriving the car.

Did anyone watch the cool down room? George walked in just as his clash with Piastri was on the screen and he said something like "I guess rubbing is racing" complaining about Piastri and Lando just shoots Max a look.
That was Lando that said that.

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Disagree wholeheartedly. If you just look at that practice classification listing, sure. From the sessions as a whole you can get a pretty solid idea after FP2 of which cars are going to be in the mix and a good guess on what quali could look like.
F2 gives you a good idea what qualifying is going to look like and F3 gives you a good idea of race pace. F1 is all about getting aero data for the teams.

Reactions: AgronAlum

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Disagree wholeheartedly. If you just look at that practice classification listing, sure. From the sessions as a whole you can get a pretty solid idea after FP2 of which cars are going to be in the mix and a good guess on what quali could look like.

Explain then why Max is always around 5th in practice and then get's pole and then wins. Hamilton always is around 1st or second and rarely finishes top 5. I am not saying it don't matter for the teams. I am saying it don't matter what place they come in for practice.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
Practice is really useful is you have someone breaking down the different practice programs the teams were doing, and comparing based on that, but a comparison of the fastest laps doesn't tell you much.

Reactions: tim_redd

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Explain then why Max is always around 5th in practice and then get's pole and then wins. Hamilton always is around 1st or second and rarely finishes top 5. I am not saying it don't matter for the teams. I am saying it don't matter what place they come in for practice.
Max isn’t always around 5th, but there are things to be learned about overall pace as you get to fp3 mostly, obviously the goal isn’t to be first in practice though.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Correct. Why I said that classication list doesn't matter per se, but if you actually follow the laps times in practice you can get some good info on how things are going to look. Max being "5th" doesn't mean he was the fifth fastest car on the track in practice. Tire, fuel, run plan, etc. all impact that. So if all you do is look at 1 thru 20 on that list for practice, with zero context, then yes it does matter you. "Practice doesn't matter" is a dumb statement though. It does, but only if you're super into tracking lap times, run plans, etc. Not very many people are that invested of course.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Man Lando is really coming into his own right now. So much confidence, what a final Q3 lap for pole.

Also can’t wait for the Russell dramatics when he melts his tires failing to get by Lewis tomorrow since he got out qualified finally.

3TrueFans

Sep 10, 2009
Ames
RB major upgrades turned their cars into dogs. Unreal they really started doing well the last 3 races and now back to the bottom
They had DRS issues throughout practice and I heard they had to switch back to an old spec wing, probably just completely ****** the aero.

Help Support Us

Become a patron