Ezra Miller Enters Transfer Portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Might have something to do with Iowa trying to sweep his mental health issues under the rug.... Ezra claiming that Iowa tailored his reason for "quitting football" is definitely not a great look for Iowa.

I'm just curious why the felt the need to say he was done with football forever. It would have been pretty easy to just not say anything, or say he was dealing with lingering issues, or whatever. It's odd to say he's "retired".

However, from reading the statement I think it's clearly not "sweeping it under the rug." It sounded like a collaborative effort. If the kid didn't want it made public he was dealing with mental health issues Iowa should oblige that request.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Might have something to do with Iowa trying to sweep his mental health issues under the rug.... Ezra claiming that Iowa tailored his reason for "quitting football" is definitely not a great look for Iowa.
It sounds like he wanted to keep his mental health issues private and Iowa helped him do that. I don't see any problem there.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Worth looking into but I wonder if he is looking for a lower level where he doesn't have the pressure of high level football on him because it sounds like the combo of stress of football and academic life but a strain on him?
My thought as well. If he can’t handle the pressures of playing in the worst G5 division in the worst conference, he better look at a smaller league. ;)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I'm just curious why the felt the need to say he was done with football forever. It would have been pretty easy to just not say anything, or say he was dealing with lingering issues, or whatever. It's odd to say he's "retired".

However, for reading the statement I think it's clearly not "sweeping it under the rug." It sounded like a collaborative effort. If the kid didn't want it made public he was dealing with mental health issues Iowa should oblige that request.

It sounds like he wanted to keep his mental health issues private and Iowa helped him do that. I don't see any problem there.

Yeah I get that but at the same time a simple "stepping away from football due to personal reasons" would have been much more appropriate. Putting out a false statement isn't cool either.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Yeah I get that but at the same time a simple "stepping away from football due to personal reasons" would have been much more appropriate. Putting out a false statement isn't cool either.

I don't like public lying either. Although as soon as you do that vague "truth" peeps on fan forums of the school will immediately starting digging and speculating and the next thing you know the student was a mad-dog drug fiend or some sort of secret bad apple undermining team chemistry. The last thing the more fanatical fans respect is players privacy. Kinda of a lose lose but lying is the bigger loser IMHO.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Agree. Trying to turn this into some bash on Iowa when that's clearly not how the kid himself feels is just small.

Psyclone

Mar 18, 2006
Oakland>Ames>Cedar Rapids
I will say my reading comprehension is not very good at the moment-- on my first read-through it interpreted it as him saying Iowa "made" him say it was about back issues rather than they helped him "make" the statement.

He does seem complimentary to Iowa.
Your post forced me to reread the Tweet and it changed my interpretation also. Thanks.

Reactions: Aclone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Are we really going to comb through a 19 year old kids tweet to try and psychoanalyze his mindset last year to see if it's changed?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you

Seems like a pretty personal situation and decision. But I'm sure Ezra is feeling all torn up that a bunch of middle-aged message board posters aren't cool with how he went about it.

Reactions: TrianglePlace