Expectations for next year

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Ask again in a few months. We don't know if RW is coming back, we don't know if Pelle is coming, and we don't know how much progress the returning guys will make in the offseason. No matter what, I think CFH has built the program up enough that either the NIT or NCAA tournament should be a reasonable minimum expectation going into next season.

cyrobb

Jan 1, 2012
Pleasant Hill
I think 3rd to 4th in Big XII is predicted. Texas is going to be loaded with lots of returners, KU is always good, and Baylor has another crazy good class coming in (2nd rated big man in the country I believe, the guy is projected to be the 10th overall pick in next years draft with never playing a game.) I except K-State to be tough again, and WV is similar in the physical aspect. I don't see OSU to be much better but Nash will be a force. Okalahoma I have no clue about but Kruger is a hell of a coach. Same goes for Tech. I except TCU to be the doormat next year, but they had some decent wins this year and had won 7 straight at one point. If ROYCE is back we may win the whole thing.

MIClone

Aug 31, 2011
Central Michigan
If Royce is back, I agree that anything is possible, including a National Championship. Without Royce, I still think we have enough returning and coming in to make the NCAA tournament, but it's hard to know for sure until we see how Lucious, Clyburn, Niang, etc. fit in. Still, with Ejim, Babb, McGee, Gibson, Booker and Palu back to build off of, there is still a lot to work with.

But obviously I'd prefer to have a legitimate shot at a N.C.!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Even if White returns our team will have a vastly different look and we will need to adjust our style.

1st- we'll have a true PG and a solid backup, Bubu has looked good enough down the stretch for me to think he'll start as a SR. If he doesn't Long or whoever we sign in 2013 will have to be a special player.

2nd- post whoever plays this spot is better because of RW. ME has looked better from the line and from three lately, I think that confidence comes from the easy baskets RW gets him. Booker isn't a 30 min type player but in spurts he is very productive. Gibson is growing into the true post we need. Niang, sounds like the total package and a year with RW can only improve on that.

Here's the big change, shooters. Spacing for shooters is what our offense is built around and 40% seems to be the number they need to make to force the defense to honor them. Clyburn shot the three well at Utah, McGee shot over 40% on the year, Babb fell off and hung his hat on his defense. With CA and SC on the floor that worked but Lucious hasn't shown consistantcy from the arc either. Can we put enough shooters on the floor to give RW the spacing he needs to carve up the defense?

Finally the Freshman guards, I think they'll get situational minutes and SDW appears to be the shooter of the three but that doesn't change the issue,

Babb has to find his shot otherwise teams will be able to take away a huge part of RWs game unless Fred takes his defensive stopper off the floor. If he can get it back I think we will be right there in the hunt for a Big XII title, if he doesn't I'm thinking 10-6 and an 8 or 9 seed.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I know this sounds crazy, but I don't think we'd take that much of a step back with Royce leaving. We should have a legit PG next year in Lucious, so that will solve the ball handling issues that we've relied on Royce for. Percy, Booker, Ejim, and Niang should provide enough interior scoring that our shooters can still get open shots. I think we'll end up being a more balanced team, but we have enough scorers to accomplish that.

Reactions: Doc

CYcojoe

Jan 17, 2011
Easy on the expectations people. we could have some great potential. That and 5$ will buy you a sub sandwhich in February. If they play hard like this team did then they'll be fun to watch regardless of wins or losses. Just be a team that is fun to watch. That's all I hope for.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Yeah, I'm not that concerned with post scoring next year for some reason? I just think that between Gibson, Booker, Niang, and Ejim that we'll be ok there.

I just wonder where our outside shooting is going to come from? Babb really dropped off big time this year. McGee should be very good. I don't know what Clyburn has for a 3 pt shot? SDW seems to really be the only outside threat of the new guys coming in. I just think we will miss Scotty and Allen's shooting.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
As we celebrate the Cyclones great season, what are your expectations for next year? I know this is dependent on Royce staying, but where do you see this team finishing next year? I think they end up in second place in the Big 12, get to the finals of the Big 12 tournament and an Elite Eight berth. That may be a lot to ask for, but I think next year's team has that potential, especially if Royce stays :smile:. Thoughts, Preguntas?

If White stays, we will definitely be better next year than this. During the end of the season he started to be way more aggressive. Both our tournament games he just took it right to the defender. He has begun to realize what he really can do. Also, he started hitting his FTs the last small handful of games. Great sign.

I believe he will know to work on his jump shot, FTs even more, and some post stuff. Can you imagine Royce with a jump shot that goes down all the time?? Awesome.

Now, with that around him, we'd have:

Lucious
Babb
Clyburn
Ejim

Lucious, from what I've heard is a true PG. Babb is babb and hey..great defense. Continue to make shots too. Clyburn is a baller from what I've heard/seen, and Ejim is good and getting better all the time (mostly).

Add that with Gibson, Booker, Palo, McGee, Sledge?, Railey? Niang, Okoro, SDW, and Long....special season maybe and a DEEP team. I am really excited for next year, especially if White decides to not declare for the NBA.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Yeah, I'm not that concerned with post scoring next year for some reason? I just think that between Gibson, Booker, Niang, and Ejim that we'll be ok there.

I just wonder where our outside shooting is going to come from? Babb really dropped off big time this year. McGee should be very good. I don't know what Clyburn has for a 3 pt shot? SDW seems to really be the only outside threat of the new guys coming in. I just think we will miss Scotty and Allen's shooting.

Clyburn is a very good 3 point shooter. He shot 40.3% from 3 at Utah (62-154) the one season he played.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Even if White returns our team will have a vastly different look and we will need to adjust our style.

1st- we'll have a true PG and a solid backup, Bubu has looked good enough down the stretch for me to think he'll start as a SR. If he doesn't Long or whoever we sign in 2013 will have to be a special player.

Korie Lucious will start. Former Michigan State starting PG who's been waiting out a year and is a senior? There's no way FH doesn't start him at least the first handful of games. If he turns out to REALLY suck, that's the only way Palo is going to be stealing the starting job IMO.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
Korie Lucious will start. Former Michigan State starting PG who's been waiting out a year and is a senior? There's no way FH doesn't start him at least the first handful of games. If he turns out to REALLY suck, that's the only way Palo is going to be stealing the starting job IMO.

Bubu will a Sr. after Korie has graduated.

Clone96

Nov 14, 2006
Parts Unknown
I think 3rd to 4th in Big XII is predicted. Texas is going to be loaded with lots of returners, KU is always good, and Baylor has another crazy good class coming in (2nd rated big man in the country I believe, the guy is projected to be the 10th overall pick in next years draft with never playing a game.) I except K-State to be tough again, and WV is similar in the physical aspect. I don't see OSU to be much better but Nash will be a force. Okalahoma I have no clue about but Kruger is a hell of a coach. Same goes for Tech. I except TCU to be the doormat next year, but they had some decent wins this year and had won 7 straight at one point. If ROYCE is back we may win the whole thing.

Kansas is Kansas
Baylor has the disadvantage of being coached by Scott Drew, GREAT recruiter,but he cannot coach to save his life.
Texas is young, especially if Brown comes out
OK State should be better, with Nash healthy plus they bring in Marcus Smart
KSU should be about the same, who knows what kind can of worms the Samuel thing has opened up
West Virginia should be better, Huggy Bear always finds the players
OU, Lon Kruger can coach 'em up but probably needs another recruiting class
Texas Tech, can't get much worse than this year
TCU takes over the Colorado/Nebraska role as perennial league doormat

ISU should be fighting for the top half of the league, Royce or no Royce. If Royce is here, winning the league & a top four seed in the tournament is very possible.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
Clyburn is a very good 3 point shooter. He shot 40.3% from 3 at Utah (62-154) the one season he played.

I was just going to look this up. I knew he could stroke it, but dang. another 40% 3 point shooter. With as long and athletic he is, he could be really fun to watch.

Royce, please come back and take us to our first ever final four.

Edit: Modern day final four. And I know Royce needs to do what's best for him. I'm just thinking selfishly.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
I was just going to look this up. I knew he could stroke it, but dang. another 40% 3 point shooter. With as long and athletic he is, he could be really fun to watch.

Royce, please come back and take us to our first ever REAL final four.

FIFY. We were in the Final Four in 1944 when 8 teams were in it!

Dartmouth
Catholic
Temple
Ohio State
ISU
Pepperdine
Utah
Missouri

Funny ****.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines

Royce, please come back and take us to our first ever final four.

Edit: Modern day final four. And I know Royce needs to do what's best for him. I'm just thinking selfishly.

I think Clyburn is going to tear it up. It's been said many times that he has the most NBA potential on our roster.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Kansas is Kansas
Baylor has the disadvantage of being coached by Scott Drew, GREAT recruiter,but he cannot coach to save his life.
Texas is young, especially if Brown comes out
OK State should be better, with Nash healthy plus they bring in Marcus Smart
KSU should be about the same, who knows what kind can of worms the Samuel thing has opened up
West Virginia should be better, Huggy Bear always finds the players
OU, Lon Kruger can coach 'em up but probably needs another recruiting class
Texas Tech, can't get much worse than this year
TCU takes over the Colorado/Nebraska role as perennial league doormat

Good summary.

Kansas always seems to have someone step up, and they have Johnson, Releford and Withey back next year, but they really need Tharpe to step up as the point (or a freshman).

Baylor also is going to lose a ton of talent off the team this year. Jones, Jones, Miller and Acy are probably all gone. They'll probably be much more of a guard oriented team next year with Jackson, Heslip and Bello back.

I think KSU should be better next year, McGruder is back and another year on the freshmen (Rodriguez and Gipson especially)

OSU has a ton of talented wing players in Nash, Smart, Brown and Olukemi, but they don't have a point guard.

I think WVU takes a step back as they lose Bryant and Jones, but I don't know that much about their young players or recruits.

peteypie

Jun 20, 2007
FIFY. We were in the Final Four in 1944 when 8 teams were in it!

Funny ****.

That's why I edited it to say modern day final four. I really think With Royce and Clyburn, we would have 2 pro's that it seems to take to be one of those top 8 seeds in the tourney.

Every really good team has at least 2 pro's on it. Royce and Will could take us to new heights. Kentucky unfortunatly had 5 pros.

Stumbles

Feb 17, 2012
Cleveland Heights, OH
I think with Royce, no one will pick us 8th in the Big 12, and we will challenge for the conference title and be poised to make a deep run into the NCAAs ala 1999-2000 team. Seems other teams will lose more than us if Royce stays.

I think that if Royce decides its best for him to leave, that we will still be good. Definitely a tourney team, probably on the order of this years success at the very least.

Help Support Us

Become a patron