Expectations for Casey Swiderski this year?

JessesWrestlingShow

Oct 29, 2022

I am sure this topic has been discussed before but I am so jacked up for this season. Interested to see everybody expectations for Casey this year. Due to the makeup of 141 the ceiling is really high. He made my list of potential breakout freshman this year.

Reactions: stuclone

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
Personally, I expect at least a R12 season. I think he will be a high AA, but it’s tough to expect a true freshman to do that, so I will stick with R12 for the expectation with the belief that he will do better than that

OKClones

Dec 12, 2019
All American was my hope and what I’ll stick with but Friday night results were a surprise. Good for Frost thou!

JessesWrestlingShow

Oct 29, 2022
Personally, I expect at least a R12 season. I think he will be a high AA, but it’s tough to expect a true freshman to do that, so I will stick with R12 for the expectation with the belief that he will do better than that
R12 is reasonable for high level true freshman because the jump from HS to college is so big but the makeof this weight class makes me feel like their is opportunity for him to move higher. But if he finishes R12 this year I don't think we would feel like he under performed just because the jump is so big.

CyCloneRastlinG

Oct 15, 2017
Iowa
I was told he has a really hard weight cut this past weekend to get down for the first time. I also think Frost is really tough. I think Casey finished 5-7th range. His motor at nationals will play in his favor.

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I was told he has a really hard weight cut this past weekend to get down for the first time. I also think Frost is really tough. I think Casey finished 5-7th range. His motor at nationals will play in his favor.
First time down is always the toughest. As long as you do it the right way after that, it gets easier. Casey strikes me as a person that will do it the right way and become more and more dangerous at 141 as the season goes on. Saturday will be a tough opening weekend as he gets a couple of top 20 guys in Zargo (Wisco) and Hanna (Campbell)

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I was surprised by the score of the match with Frost, but sometimes familiarity in wrestle-offs can lead to weird results.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
^^^ This.

Personally, IF he doesn't redshirt then anything short of AA will be disappointing to me. R16 or less doesn't usually score a lot of points at Nationals. Even David Carr took a redshirt year and I'm sure he was the very best at his weight when he was a true freshman. I love the new rules where he could wrestle early and still keep his redshirt if it feels like he needs more time to adjust.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
^^^ This.

Personally, IF he doesn't redshirt then anything short of AA will be disappointing to me. R16 or less doesn't usually score a lot of points at Nationals. Even David Carr took a redshirt year and I'm sure he was the very best at his weight when he was a true freshman. I love the new rules where he could wrestle early and still keep his redshirt if it feels like he needs more time to adjust.
The plan for him, I’m pretty sure, no where says anything about redshirting.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
The plan for him, I’m pretty sure, no where says anything about redshirting.
Yep, I haven't heard otherwise. My thoughts would be that if he starts off strong and proves he's capable of winning against the top contenders then he continues to man 141 for us. IF he takes some early losses then I'd consider keeping his redshirt and having some of our other options take over that spot.

I'm very bullish on him even if he redshirts this year.

Reactions: OKClones

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I would not be surprised if the only reason the staff redshirted Carr was to get the lineup as stacked as they could to support their first big blue-chip recruit and help buoy the team on the national level as much as possible.

Proton

SuperFanatic
Aug 19, 2019
I would not be surprised if the only reason the staff redshirted Carr was to get the lineup as stacked as they could to support their first big blue-chip recruit and help buoy the team on the national level as much as possible.
Will Carr be here next year?