Expect a Long NBA Lockout

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Lengthy NBA lockout looms, with owners and players deeply divided - The Washington Post

We may not see movement until it gets close to the end of the year,” said Marc Ganis, president and founder of the Chicago-based sports consulting firm SportsCorp. “Players have been so well paid for so long, they can hold out for longer than most of the other sports. NBA players don’t have the same [financial] issues as NFL players, who are very eager to get back on the field.

Won't this hurt the economy? Looks like Europe will be loaded this year.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Wow nothing like finally reeling me in after years of not caring about the NBA only to lockout.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Its a mess that the owners have brought onto themselves, paying horrible players WAY too much money for too many years. Now you want to cut all salaries by 30% or more..........not too many players are going to go for that. But in the same breathe, a 30-40% paycut is still going to be a lot more money than any player is going to be able to make with their H.S. diploma!!!! But they don't understand that because how are they going to pay for their BLING.

Best thing the owners can do is shut it down for a year or two. The basketball players have made a lot of money, but majority of them spend as fast as they make it (60% of NBA players go broke - 60% of NBA Players Go Broke Within 5 Years of Retirement? | AllFinancialMatters) the players will come back to reality.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Meh. Wouldn't really pay attention to the NBA until after NFL, college football, conference tournaments, and March Madness were done anyway. Even then, there would have to be an intriguing story (like the Bulls this past year) for me to pay attention.

The game just changed too much for me after Jordan retired from the Bulls in '98.

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
The only thing that might help them get it done a little bit earlier is because of all the momentum that they have been building the last couple of years.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I have been expecting a lockout for a long time now. When you look at everything, there is really no question. This one will be much worse than the NFL...

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
A lockout dragging on into the season would be a killer for the NBA. The NBA had finally built some momentum back up. You had last year's thrilling seven game Finals with the two big boys (Celtics vs. Lakers), then all the summer drama with LeBron and then a fun playoffs this year capped off by the villians (Heat) losing.

I think the league is slowly getting back the average sports fan that didn't like the NBA. I was one of those people but I followed the playoffs more this year. The NBA can't afford to lose this momentum

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Meh. Wouldn't really pay attention to the NBA until after NFL, college football, conference tournaments, and March Madness were done anyway. Even then, there would have to be an intriguing story (like the Bulls this past year) for me to pay attention.

The game just changed too much for me after Jordan retired from the Bulls in '98.

Don't forget... NHL will be in season as well. The Stanley Cup Playoffs were far and away superior to the NBA Playoffs this year. The only reason I was even remotely interested in the NBA Playoffs was due to my desire to see Lebron James fail. If he wasn't such a complete tool I wouldn't have cared at all.

Reactions: Broodwich

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's a shame that this comes along now just when the league is starting to get interesting again. The NBA has always been cyclical in terms of popularity, and to lock the players out right when fans are coming back is just poor business. I really hope coller heads prevail and they can work something out, but it doesn't look good right now.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
It's a shame that this comes along now just when the league is starting to get interesting again. The NBA has always been cyclical in terms of popularity, and to lock the players out right when fans are coming back is just poor business. I really hope coller heads prevail and they can work something out, but it doesn't look good right now.

Having 23 teams losing money is poor business. This isn't the NFL where the problem is how to divide up all the money the league is making, the NBA has some serious financial problems that it needs to fix.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Having 23 teams losing money is poor business. This isn't the NFL where the problem is how to divide up all the money the league is making, the NBA has some serious financial problems that it needs to fix.

Wow. I didn't realize the NBA was in such poor shape. It does make sense though as of all the professional sports it is probably the worst product.

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
This will hurt the economy of diamond and gold chain jewelry makers and the cast of that Basketball Wives show where none of the women is actually married to a basketball player. For the rest of us, it doesn't hurt the economy.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
This will hurt the economy of diamond and gold chain jewelry makers and the cast of that Basketball Wives show where none of the women is actually married to a basketball player. For the rest of us, it doesn't hurt the economy.

Think of all of the trouble Kobe will get into with an extended off-season... Colorado authorities are already preparing as they recently upgraded the "Kobe Alert" from orange to Red, the highest level the warning system has.

:swoon:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006

The NBA really needs to contract the Hornets and Bobcats and move the Kings to Seattle. Or take it one step farther and contract the Kings and Clippers as well. Expanding in Charlotte after the Hornets left there is by far the dumbest move David Stern has ever made.

I think you'll see the NBA maintain some type of soft cap so that teams can maintain continuity and go over the cap in order to retain their own players who become free agents. This is also something the NFL really needs to do.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
I thought this was a nice article by Aldridge

One man's way to avert NBA's looming lockout scenario | NBA.com

He makes a good point about the debt load on some of the new owners. I have often wondered what the real values of these franchises are. How much would they be worth without the taxpayer subsidized luxury boxes (Corporate perks/write offs for entertainment)?

Tangent starts here

One of my coworker was at a stadium recently and walked through the expensive seats after the game and mentioned he couldn't believe how many 1/2 eaten concessions were just lying around. My take is that they didn't really pay for them, but were likely just being entertained. I have seen the waste at many of these free events.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I wish I could say this is going to bother me. But to be honest, it was some of the best news I'd heard in a while. I haven't been a fan of the league for quite some time and it actually gets me a little excited that maybe we'll get more NHL coverage over the winter.

I do feel bad for those that are fans of the NBA though. I just don't have a vested interest in any team. Most other sports, I have teams I like, teams I hate, the NBA, I'm just totally indifferent about. I didn't really care if Miami won or not.

Reactions: Broodwich