Even after tonight’s loss…

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
By this time Saturday night we can be back in a log jam tie for first.

Tonight was brutal. No doubt. There are issues. No doubt. But we are great at home.

Right now Texas and KSU have two losses. Isu and ku and tcu have three. Baylor with four.

If the following results happen see the standings on Saturday night…

Kansas wins tomorrow night at home vs KSU.

Ksu beats Texas Saturday in Manhattan.

Iowa state beats Kansas on Saturday in Ames.

Tcu loses at okie state

Baylor beats Texas tech

Standings would be:

Iowa State 7-3
Kansas State 7-3
Texas 7-3
Kansas 6-4
Tcu 6-4
Baylor 6-4

And we’d have the tiebreaker as number one seed.

Again. We could lose. But it’s crazy that with a win over Kansas we could still be right in it. #EternalOptimist
I agree we are still in a good spot, but it's a bit early to be thinking about Big12 Championships. We have a pretty small margin of error and could just as easily be 3-6 as 6-3.

Last night's game was a really tough loss and could have a big impact on our confidence. So playing well Saturday and @ WVU will tell us a lot.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Beg to differ. Conference title race is over. In a league this tough you can't lose to the winless last place team and you especially can't barf up a lead like we had. If you think Kansas is going to go lose at any of the bottom 3 teams you're out of your mind.
One game isn't going to cost us a Big12 title.

But have the Mizzou & Tech games shown opposing coaches a game plan to beat ISU? Also does blowing a 23 point lead result in a confidence hangover?

IMO the next 2 games will show a lot. A top team at Hilton & a road game against a bottom tier team.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not really as worried as most about last night.

There's a potential to have our entire team available for first time all season. That's something positive.

We were killing them and the guys let up a little and officials decided to install two completely different rule books down the stretch. Even before when ISU was way up the officials were just giving away nonsense points for no reason, you'd need to give 10-15 flop warnings a game if that tech was deserving.

Definitely should have played better and won, but I don't see 6-3 first half flipping to 1-8 or 2-7 back half like some of the Eeyore types. They'll probably get 5-6 wins on the back half which will be a dramatic improvement from last year's Big 12.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
One game isn't going to cost us a Big12 title.

But have the Mizzou & Tech games shown opposing coaches a game plan to beat ISU? Also does blowing a 23 point lead result in a confidence hangover?

IMO the next 2 games will show a lot. A top team at Hilton & a road game against a bottom tier team.

Teams can't just gameplan shooting the 3 like Mizzou did, especially not on the road. If they could, every team would be hitting over 50% on the season from deep. We didn't have our best defensive game but ISU even on an off night isn't a slouch defensive team.

Teams can't gameplan some of the officiating ridiculousness of the Tech game, again especially not on the road. Draw up a game plan where an official calls a technical for a flop that is just a guy losing his balance, how is that done?

I really don't think ISU could play as sloppy as they did in final ten minutes last night, I mean it was extremely uncharacteristic.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Teams can't just gameplan shooting the 3 like Mizzou did, especially not on the road. If they could, every team would be hitting over 50% on the season from deep. We didn't have our best defensive game but ISU even on an off night isn't a slouch defensive team.

Teams can't gameplan some of the officiating ridiculousness of the Tech game, again especially not on the road. Draw up a game plan where an official calls a technical for a flop that is just a guy losing his balance, how is that done?

I really don't think ISU could play as sloppy as they did in final ten minutes last night, I mean it was extremely uncharacteristic.
But teams can game plan spreading out our defense and taking guys off the dribble (TT) or find open jump shooters(Mizzou).

Both Mizzou and TT used a full court press to disrupt ISU's offense.

We played well the first 28ish minutes last night, but the main reason was Grill was 7-8 from 3!

I agree out half court TO's were uncharacteristic last night. But TT's quickness and length in the free throw lane extended, gave us fits and we couldn't figure a way to attack the lane from the wings/baseline.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
But teams can game plan spreading out our defense and taking guys off the dribble (TT) or find open jump shooters(Mizzou).

Both Mizzou and TT used a full court press to disrupt ISU's offense.

We played well the first 28ish minutes last night, but the main reason was Grill was 7-8 from 3!

I agree out half court TO's were uncharacteristic last night. But TT's quickness and length in the free throw lane extended, gave us fits and we couldn't figure a way to attack the lane from the wings/baseline.

Maybe I'm stupid but I'm just not worried. I don't think our guards are somehow uniquely bad at breaking a press.

I think we were dominating Tech on both sides of the ball, got overconfident, the refs had two separate rule books very suddenly where they allowed Tech to play crazy physical with no fouls while still calling fouls on ISU, and it was just an off the rails disaster.

I don't see it being something that could be recreated consistently. If it could, we'd lose by 80 points every game the way we lost the last 10 minutes by 20.

Missouri wouldn't hit the 3 like that every game, maybe one game out of 5. Even if they're all wide open looks they were hitting 3s like layups for stretches.

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
We must do something right to get these big leads. Why is it assumed that other teams are going to figure out how to make the rest of our games like the last 12 mins last night but we’re not going to figure out how to keep our leads? Kunc coming back will be big. He adds a guy that TJ trusts who doesn’t make mistakes can take a little pressure off the 4 guards and also play a quality back up 5 who can open up the lane when other teams are packing it in.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We must do something right to get these big leads. Why is it assumed that other teams are going to figure out how to make the rest of our games like the last 12 mins last night but we’re not going to figure out how to keep our leads? Kunc coming back will be big. He adds a guy that TJ trusts who doesn’t make mistakes can take a little pressure off the 4 guards and also play a quality back up 5 who can open up the lane when other teams are packing it in.

Jaz is a fairly legit 3 point shooter too.

It may take some time but if ISU can scramble things together enough here his impact could be great in this final stretch.

Reactions: CyNews

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Big 12 could not be closer.

I'd have bet anything KSU was going to get beat at Phog way worse than our 2 points. They rarely give them a good game there.

Texas alone in first but could be alone in 5th since their next games are @KSU and @KU.

Entire top half basically exactly tied when you look at Texas schedule advantage that's about to run out.

Reactions: NENick

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
We click when we can move the ball and cut and run our 'stuff'. But all bets are off when people overplay our passing lanes. We say this about every offense, every team, for the most part. Guess we'll see if we can adjust better down the road.