Eustachy taunted with "Alcoholic" Chants.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
But it was a matter of just not WANTING to. I'm not at all saying that all addicts/alcoholics are, but it's more than a few.

And plenty of people die from other medical conditions because they ignore the problem/warnings or don't want to go to the doctor, take their medications, etc.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
That is true. And others will deny it because they are just in love with the bottle. They are offered help, and willfully turn it away because they want to drink that much.

I have a family member who was a drug addict. Slightly different problem, but not really. Motivations and such are the same. He was from an affluent family who tried to get him help at every turn, he was hospitalized for detoxification, and so on. He would get clean and immediately go use again, until ultimately he was caught in a fire because he was in a flophouse, and sustained brain damage from it. He knew the stigma. He knew the outcomes. He had the resources and support. But it was a matter of just not WANTING to. I'm not at all saying that all addicts/alcoholics are, but it's more than a few.
Totally agree. I worked with a lady for a few years that was an alcoholic. Watched her crash and burn in front of many customers many times and she acted like it wasn't a big deal. Refused help all of the time and went to detox a few times only to come back and be caught skipping work to hang out the Fox Lounge all day.

Reactions: Cyclonic1

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
And plenty of people die from other medical conditions because they ignore the problem/warnings or don't want to go to the doctor, take their medications, etc.

Those people ultimately die by their own hand, as well. It also victimizes their families and the people in their lives. I'm not sure of your point.

Totally agree. I worked with a lady for a few years that was an alcoholic. Watched her crash and burn in front of many customers many times and she acted like it wasn't a big deal. Refused help all of the time and went to detox a few times only to come back and be caught skipping work to hang out the Fox Lounge all day.

That's what is so frustrating. It's a hard road, for sure. But one that can be done, and will not only improve their lives, but the lives of those around them. Your poor employer likely lost customers due to her decision to purposely turn away help.

I am absolutely sympathetic to alcoholics, and it is a horrible problem with many facets. However, if you're unwilling to help yourself despite being given all of the resources in the world, it's hard for me to have much sympathy.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Those people ultimately die by their own hand, as well. It also victimizes their families and the people in their lives. I'm not sure of your point.

That's what is so frustrating. It's a hard road, for sure. But one that can be done, and will not only improve their lives, but the lives of those around them. Your poor employer likely lost customers due to her decision to purposely turn away help.

I am absolutely sympathetic to alcoholics, and it is a horrible problem with many facets. However, if you're unwilling to help yourself despite being given all of the resources in the world, it's hard for me to have much sympathy.
This x1000000.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

Awesome link and video! Thanks for sharing. He owned that like a boss...

I've seen an NCAA projection or two matching us up against Colorado State in the first round (I refuse to call it 2nd round). While I would certainly want to win that game, I wouldn't be totally crushed if we lost to a LE team. I think there is ample room for both criticism and praise for him during his tenure here at ISU, but that was a lifetime ago in college basketball. I've forgiven him and wish him the best.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
This is one of the worst discussions I've ever seen on CF

Worse than the 19 millionth "White football helmets?" topic

Spam

May 21, 2008
It must be a dead time of the year in basketball. Not much to talk about ISU bball.
Let's have a LE debate!

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011

You write six words: "I am absolutely sympathetic to alcoholics," but write one-hundred-seven more revealing that statement to be a lie.

It's called chemical dependence. They need help and the disease keeps them from asking for it.

Edit: meh. This came out much harsher than I meant it to. I :wub: you Angie, but we just disagree on this one. :sad:

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I can go out and become an alcoholic tomorrow. I can't up and get cancer. Maybe go buy a can of chew, throw one in and light a cig up. Continue that for 10-15 years. You should think a little more into it before posting things like this. Not even in the same ball park champ.

I disagree. I know for a fact that I couldn't become an alcoholic.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Larry is/was the best coach ever at ISU, no question about it. Tim Floyd, second.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
Can someone prevent themselves from becoming an alcoholic? Yes.

Can someone prevent themselves from getting cancer? In most cases, no.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA

Man, Mitch was great!!! Saw him the last time he was at the Val Air. Sad, but any guesses to what he died of? (All speculation of a drug overdose, but there is a history there...)

Doug Stanhope has several great bits on the subject, too. One is how his friends think he should stop drinking, but not before the show they have tickets to because he's funnier when drinking. The other was played on O&A a couple weeks ago, related to Dr. Drew/Celeb Rehab.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You write six words: "I am absolutely sympathetic to alcoholics," but write one-hundred-seven more revealing that statement to be a lie.

It's called chemical dependence. They need help and the disease keeps them from asking for it.

Not in all cases, as we've discussed previously. There are people with depression so debilitating that they are unable to ask for help with their alcoholism, for sure. Then there are people who don't ask due to pride. Or people who have been helped, have been through treatment, and still just want to drink when done. And when that decision is ruining the lives of people around them, it's no longer sympathetic.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Yes, thank you. We're fortunate the DSM only had the MizzU pictures. His behavior towards some players, their parents, his boss and our President was totally unbecoming, but some people don't care about his behavior as long as the coach wins conference championships.

And he displayed his boorish behavior towards the people you mentioned even when he wasn't doing his drinking.
I still would like to know who exactly diagnosed LE as an "alcoholic" and where he exactly he went for his "treatment" after the ISU firing.

Reactions: Angie

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
The ISU student body apologized for what two students did online.

The entire student body taunting Larry over his disease in person.

Nice editing on your post.

Isn't that what alcoholics call themselves in meetings? Hi I'm Larry and I'm an alcoholic? Or maybe he's cured and not currently in treatment?

Won't debate the disease not disease because I think there are both, but this IS the bed he made for himself and unfortunately those things stick.

Good thing we never do things like that, like taunt Mangino for being really fat. Because our fan base is better than all the others!

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
harsher than I meant it to. I :wub: you Angie, but we just disagree on this one. :sad:

I :wub: you, too. :) And I really do understand what you're saying. And largely agree with you. I think the only difference is that I lose my patience at the point at which help has been given and refused, oftentimes on multiple occasions. I just lose sympathy then, whether that's right or wrong.