Eustachy taunted with "Alcoholic" Chants.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
[video=youtube;z1dhhrocyto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dhhrocyto[/video]

It's not a disease

It is not a disease. It is a personal choice.

I hope you two never have a close friend, relative or family member that struggles with addiction.

You're obviously better people than alcoholics and other addicts. Or at least you need to remind yourself that.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think it’s shameful that they would use this as an insult against Larry.

That being said – it’s sort of tough **** that Larry is tired of talking about his alcoholism. And all of the “but it’s a disease” stuff is pretty tired. I’ve seen first-hand what drug addiction and alcoholism do. Yes, Larry was a victim of this problem that he couldn’t control. But his family members were also victims. His friends were victims. The players who had to put up with his moodiness and suffer the embarrassment that he brought to the team in public were victims. Ultimately, the entire university was a victim. All he had to do was ask for/seek out help. Ames has resources, as does Des Moines, or he could even have gone out-of-state for detox and treatment to save himself some attention. Alcoholism is a “disease,” but it’s a very, very selfish one in many cases.

Last edited:

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I hope you two never have a close friend, relative or family member that struggles with addiction.

You're obviously better people than alcoholics and other addicts. Or at least you need to remind yourself that.

I don't think that's what they're saying. Yes, Larry had a problem. But his problem was one that could be fixed, but he chose for a long time to let it continue affecting him and the people around him. Perhaps these two have had close friends or family members and have watched the alcoholism ruin the lives of not only the alcoholic, but the people around them.

We, as a fan base and a university, enabled Larry for a long time. We let him get to a place where things like this could happen. We share culpability in the embarrassment and actions that came from it.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
[video=youtube;z1dhhrocyto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1dhhrocyto[/video]

It's not a disease

I don't think that's what they're saying. Yes, Larry had a problem. But his problem was one that could be fixed, but he chose for a long time to let it continue affecting him and the people around him. Perhaps these two have had close friends or family members and have watched the alcoholism ruin the lives of not only the alcoholic, but the people around them.

We, as a fan base and a university, enabled Larry for a long time. We let him get to a place where things like this could happen. We share culpability in the embarrassment and actions that came from it.

You give people too much credit. And I don't know about you, but I wasn't aware of Larry's behavior while he was a coach here, at least to the extent that he was an alcoholic.

Substance abuse and addiction is usually related to some other type of problem. People don't just decide to become alcoholics for the fun of it.

And a lot of those people also don't have the support and resources to get help, because of friends and family who blame and judge them instead of trying to help and understand.

If a soldier comes back from war with PTSD and starts drinking heavily to deal with it, I suppose he isn't diseased either.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
You give people too much credit. And I don't know about you, but I wasn't aware of Larry's behavior while he was a coach here, at least to the extent that he was an alcoholic.

Substance abuse and addiction is usually related to some other type of problem. People don't just decide to become alcoholics for the fun of it.

And a lot of those people also don't have the support and resources to get help, because of friends and family who blame and judge them instead of trying to help and understand.

If a soldier comes back from war with PTSD and starts drinking heavily to deal with it, I suppose he isn't diseased either.

I've actually heard a lot of stories about Larry's behavior - some of what he would say to the players, and other times when he was embarrassing in public settings (see also: the bar) after games. He'd say things not becoming of a coach about the team.

I realize people don't usually just decide to become alcoholics just for the fun of it, but Larry had endless resources. He's not a homeless soldier with only a VA card. He had millions of dollars a year in income, and a university that was very supportive of him.

There are large numbers of resources for ANYONE who has a problem, regardless of their income. That's why we have Medicaid and other federal programs - go to the ER and get checked into the hospital for long enough to detox, and then use one of any number of free programs to stay clean. It's not just as easy as that, but the resources are there regardless of your income or support system.

In your example, the soldier's disease is PTSD, alcoholism is a byproduct of how he decided to deal with it rather than seeking help at (again) any one of the programs available to a vet. Not everyone who has PTSD is an alcoholic. Others choose to deal with it in a way that doesn't rip apart their families.

dunar

Aug 31, 2007
West Des Moines, IA
It's not a disease

It is not a disease. It is a personal choice.

The AMA disagrees with you:
Therefore, the committee agreed to define alcoholism as a primary, chronic disease with genetic, psychosocial, and environmental factors influencing its development and manifestations. The disease is often progressive and fatal.
JAMA Network | JAMA | The Definition of Alcoholism

But what do they know about diseases??? They're just doctors... :jimlad:

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

No one said that. Alcoholism is not a disease. People choose to drink excessively. It's not always something else's fault they do that. Yes, I have had people close to me with issues such as this.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
People in 2013 still deny alcoholism is a disease.... who knew.

It's a disease, but one that can ultimately be controlled by the person with it, unlike, say, cancer.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
Roast me if you will, but if alcoholism isn't a disease then neither is depression. We get to choose how we approach life and some people are able to control their emotions/impulses better than others.

Madcyentist

Aug 12, 2011
Ankeny/Ames
Wow...it is a disease! Would they taunt someone fighting cancer? Classless...obviously!

I can go out and become an alcoholic tomorrow. I can't up and get cancer. Maybe go buy a can of chew, throw one in and light a cig up. Continue that for 10-15 years. You should think a little more into it before posting things like this. Not even in the same ball park champ.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
So much like diabetes.

No. You still have to involve an outside substance (insulin) to control diabetes, and be monitored by professionals. The ultimate action (or inaction) with alcoholism, no matter the resources you use to get there, is simply to not drink. There are many complex influences, but it boils down to just NOT doing something optional.

azepp

Dec 9, 2009
Ankeny
I can go out and become an alcoholic tomorrow. I can't up and get cancer. Maybe go buy a can of chew, throw one in and light a cig up. Continue that for 10-15 years. You should think a little more into it before posting things like this. Not even in the same ball park champ.
Congrats, you win for most misinformed post of the day.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I've actually heard a lot of stories about Larry's behavior - some of what he would say to the players, and other times when he was embarrassing in public settings (see also: the bar) after games. He'd say things not becoming of a coach about the team.

Yes, thank you. We're fortunate the DSM only had the MizzU pictures. His behavior towards some players, their parents, his boss and our President was totally unbecoming, but some people don't care about his behavior as long as the coach wins conference championships.

Reactions: Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron