ESPN+ on T Hunter at Iverson Classic

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
My guess is two and done, simply due to his lack of length.
I would be surprised if he was gone that quick but Wigginton was gone that quick too so who knows? I just think he doesn't have ideal length and he isn't a great shooter. Limits his NBA potential.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyPunch

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I would be surprised if he was gone that quick but Wigginton was gone that quick too so who knows? I just think he doesn't have ideal length and he isn't a great shooter. Limits his NBA potential.
That was the scouting report after Junior year. Still hasn't developed the consistent from deep range, but hard work and college basketball can change that.

ABECyguy

Nov 14, 2019
Ames
Donovan Mitchell
Trae Young
Rondo
Tony Parker

While Donovan Mitchell is short at 6'1", he has a really long wingspan - 6'10" - and is well built at 210 lbs, so that may not be a good comparison. Although I don't know Hunter's wingspan is, but I don't think it is that big.

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Donovan Mitchell
Trae Young
Rondo
Tony Parker

Rondo if I remember correctly had a near 7 foot wingspan which is just ridiculous. Allowed him to be an absolute lockdown defender.

Trae Young and Mitchell are high-level scorers and great shooters.

I like the Ja Morant comparison more than anything else I've seen. Hunter is a ridiculous athlete but a bit undersized.

CyPunch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
I think he's most likely to be a two and done but it's obviously tough to project right now. Interesting to note he's not even 18 yet - young for his class.

Sets up well regardless as Tamin is a true PG who will be a 4 year player. Ideally he gets a year to be eased into the role.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Aclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Bob Cousy
Haha, I wasn't planning to go white players, but why not? Based on length, size alone..
John Stockton
Jerry West
Jason Williams (talked about recently, freakishly quick and circus assist king)

I'm not sure about Cousy (I'm assuming assist guy, pretty good shooter) but Stockton and Williams greatest strengths were "assists".

If Hunter is to make it in the long run in the League, he will have to excel at assists with low turnovers, and become a better shooter, scorer.

Reactions: jcyclonee

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Haha, I wasn't planning to go white players, but why not? Based on length, size alone..
John Stockton
Jerry West

I'm not sure about Cousy (I'm assuming assist guy, pretty good shooter) but Stockton and Williams greatest strengths were "assists".

If Hunter is to make it in the long run in the League, he will have to excel at assists with low turnovers, and become a better shooter, scorer.

Actually I bet Hunter's goal to improve his outside shooting (an aspect he's already working on) and try to become the next McCollum/Lillard type scoring guard. He has the mentality and ablity to get to the rim that can flourish in the NBA even being a bit shorter than desired. Get steady at the 3 ball then TH can play PG this year and then slide over to SG when Lipsey (true PG distributor) next year.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
During the recent Iverson Classic, I happened upon a 6'-0" PG Tyus Jones, who was the #1 rated guard out of High School in 2014( Apple Valley, MN). He went to Duke and I think might of only played 1 year there? He was Drafted 24th in the1st Round and has made a nice NBA career so far.

He hasn't excelled however, probably due to his size or lack thereof. Could he have benefited from another couple of years in College? Probably, but hard to turn down 1st round money.
Tyus Jones Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

Last edited:

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
John Stockton
Jerry West

Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Actually I bet Hunter's goal to improve his outside shooting (an aspect he's already working on) and try to become the next McCollum/Lillard type scoring guard. He has the mentality and ablity to get to the rim that can flourish in the NBA even being a bit shorter than desired. Get steady at the 3 ball then TH can play PG this year and then slide over to SG when Lipsey (true PG distributor) next year.
Yeah that would work! Thanks for these two current NBA players, good examples!

Both McCollum and Lillard are 6'-3" however and I'm not sure about their overall 'length'. Hunter is about 6'-1" I'm told (could still be growing), and I don't know about his overall wingspan or length. Still good examples of where Hunter needs to go to make it in the NBA.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Back to Tyrese Hunter's height of 6-1.

Looked up a few noted current guards: I couldn't find too many specific guards at 6-1 or 6-2, Not that they aren't out there.

At 6-3: Russell Westbrook, Ja Morant (mentioned above), De'Aaron Fox, John Wall... to name a few. [6-3 and taller seems to be an advantage.]

I looked up the Big O, Oscar Robertson, not knowing what his height was. He was 6-5. Steve Nash was 6-3. LaMelo Ball is 6-6.

I think, not sure, there are a lot of NBA guards currently (or past) in the 6-1 range. Trae Young is 6-1. As I said I just couldn't find them or didn't want to look them all up. So maybe not that many after all?

Here is a list of current NBA Point guards, alas no height listed.
NBA Players Rosters - National Basketball Association - ESPN

• Informative

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Back to Tyrese Hunter's height of 6-1.

Looked up a few noted current guards: I couldn't find too many specific guards at 6-1 or 6-2, Not that they aren't out there.

At 6-3: Russell Westbrook, Ja Morant (mentioned above), De'Aaron Fox, John Wall... to name a few. [6-3 and taller seems to be an advantage.]

I looked up the Big O, Oscar Robertson, not knowing what his height was. He was 6-5. Steve Nash was 6-3. LaMelo Ball is 6-6.

I think, not sure, there are a lot of NBA guards currently (or past) in the 6-1 range. Trae Young is 6-1. As I said I just couldn't find them or didn't want to look them all up. So maybe not that many after all?

Here is a list of current NBA Point guards, alas no height listed.
NBA Players Rosters - National Basketball Association - ESPN
I’ll help. Tyrese doesn’t turn 18 until August? Easy solution—I’ll file a work order for him to have a 2” growth spurt over the summer.

That work?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I’ll help. Tyrese doesn’t turn 18 until August? Easy solution—I’ll file a work order for him to have a 2” growth spurt over the summer.

That work?
That works for me!

On he other hand if he gets taller, he might leave earlier. Ah that's OK, better for him and that's what matters.