ESPN+ on T Hunter at Iverson Classic

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
That was the scouting report after Junior year. Still hasn't developed the consistent from deep range, but hard work and college basketball can change that.

His outside shooting at the Iverson Classic contradicts that, looks like outside shooting may not be an issue.

Reactions: t-noah

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
His outside shooting at the Iverson Classic contradicts that, looks like outside shooting may not be an issue.

From all accounts, he is a really, really hard guy to keep in front of as a defender, so all he needs right now is enough of a threat from the perimeter to keep guys from sagging off. Once he becomes dangerous from the outside, he'll be almost unguardable.

OtownClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2021
Dame Lillard is 6’2”. Kemba Walker is 6’0”. Kyrie Irving is 6’2”. Guys like Devonte Graham and Jevon Carter are 6’1”. Aaron Holliday is 6’0”. Chris Paul is 6’0”. Jalen Brunson is 6’1”. Tyus Jones is 6’0”. Monte is 6’2. Cameron Payne is 6’1”. Trae Young is 6’1”. Plenty of others. Guys like Derrick Rose at 6’2” and Kyle Lowry at 6’0” have bigger body types.

I see Kemba as a decent comp. He struggled with his shot early in college and improved dramatically. Shorter Ja Morant maybe.

Shorter NBA guards struggle if they can’t add strength and need to be able to shoot well for sure. Most shorter point guards are not 1 and done. Tyrese Hunter is an explosive athlete with a good handle that can score on all three levels and get his teammates involved. With some polish, he has an opportunity to get to the league and potentially make an impact if he reaches his ceiling.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
It's all my fault. I probably have PL envy. Ha.

Anyway, no biggy. What else is there to talk about?

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
did you watch the whole thing? Or basing opinions on highlights of him making shots? Yes, his jumper has improved from Junior to Senior year, but don't go expecting him to be 35-40% from 3 as a freshman. Jump shots don't develop that fast.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
did you watch the whole thing? Or basing opinions on highlights of him making shots? Yes, his jumper has improved from Junior to Senior year, but don't go expecting him to be 35-40% from 3 as a freshman. Jump shots don't develop that fast.
I wouldn't expect it but it can happen. Naz was an atrocious .278 his freshman year and worked his ass off in the off season because it was clear that he wasn't going to be a point guard on the team. His sophomore season he shot .400. His freshman year wasn't a blip either as he was pegged as a point guard who was only a passable - not a lights out - shooter in high school.

But to be fair, the exception is not the rule.

One other reason for optimism is that Hunter's sophomore percentage from range was a respectable .366 in high school on an admittedly small sample size (11 of 30 in 20 games). That dipped to .266 his junior year when his volume and usage climbed. Perhaps adjustments to playing more helps him return to a more respectable percentage.

Given his driving ability he doesn't need to be able to hit a lot of deep shots under pressure to be effective. Simply being able to hit occasionally from behind the arc when they sag off of him and give him the open shot would be enough for them to have to play him straight up.

Last edited:

moores2

Nov 9, 2018
I wouldn't expect it but it can happen. Naz was an atrocious .278 his freshman year and worked his ass off in the off season because it was clear that he wasn't going to be a point guard on the team. His sophomore season he shot .400. His freshman year wasn't a blip either as he was pegged as a point guard who was only a passable - not a lights out - shooter in high school.

But to be fair, the exception is not the rule.

One other reason for optimism is that Hunter's sophomore percentage from range was a respectable .366 in high school on an admittedly small sample size (11 of 30 in 20 games). That dipped to .266 his junior year when his volume and usage climbed. Perhaps adjustments to playing more helps him return to a more respectable percentage.

Given his driving ability he doesn't need to be able to hit a lot of deep shots under pressure to be effective. Simply being able to hit occasionally from behind the arc when they sag off of him and give him the open shot would be enough for them to have to play him straight up.
I would agree with this, but I think Naz was one of the biggest if not the biggest gym rat Iowa State had ever seen. Do you remember the pictures of the of the automatic shot returner percentages? He was putting up like 500 shots multiple times a week. I am just saying we should expect something more like Wigginton's jumper than Naz or matt. Also, I have no clue on his deeper ranges, which Wigginton enjoyed taking.

Reactions: VeloClone

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I would agree with this, but I think Naz was one of the biggest if not the biggest gym rat Iowa State had ever seen. Do you remember the pictures of the of the automatic shot returner percentages? He was putting up like 500 shots multiple times a week. I am just saying we should expect something more like Wigginton's jumper than Naz or matt. Also, I have no clue on his deeper ranges, which Wigginton enjoyed taking.
Again, the exception not the rule. I'm just saying there is room for optimism as players can improve significantly and Hunter has demonstrated that he can hit the shot at a respectable rate in the past.

Naz was one of, but not the biggest gym rat. The biggest would have been Jake Sullivan who shot 1000 jumpers daily - and I mean every day - from something like 5th grade through his years at Iowa State.

• Wow

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You can tell Tyrese has the confidence as a shooter, but it doesn't come as naturally for him as a pure shooter from deep like his ball handing or finishing around the rim seem to be.

He has good lift, and release point (maybe needs a bit higher above his head but not much) but his release and flight path seem to suggest he's aiming, not shooting and letting his mechanics and the repetition take over. Line drive shots usually come from that effort. You can tell he's worked on it, and I think he certainly does have the ability to be a 35% 3pt shooter in college, just probably not right away. His ability to break defenders down and get to the rim will always make him a threat, but if he can regularly be hitting 1-2 threes a game to make the defenders honest.... the sky is the limit for him offensively.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
Tyrese isn't tall but you can tell he's really long. He has huge hands too so maybe we'll see him grow an inch or two

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron