ESPN Laying Off Additional On-Air Personalities

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
You cancelled Direct TV because of politics in sports?

For many, the ONLY reason they haven't cut the cord is because of ESPN. You hear it all the time.

As you said, politics isn't the main reason ESPN is in trouble, but I bet it does account for at least some drop off. Especially if you have a family in a budget crunch (which there are plenty) and the main reason for having cable i.e...ESPN is reflecting a worldview opposite the way they see it. I don't think it is that big a stretch.

• Agree
Reactions: JBone84

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
ESPN has no influence in the political realm even if they think they do. The real danger is ESPN's influence on sports itself. They yield a very real and powerful stick there.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
ESPN has no influence in the political realm even if they think they do. The real danger is ESPN's influence on sports itself. They yield a very real and powerful stick there.

How about culture then?

You don’t have to agree with it, but if you don’t think there are parents out there that don’t want their kids to watch the ESPYs celebrate Jenner or football players kissing their boyfriends on draft day, then you simply live in a bubble and don’t expose yourself to anyone that doesn’t contribute to your echo chamber.

Additionally you have the not standing for the anthem coverage/commentary.

Again, we aren’t’ talking about what is right or wrong (for you or me) , we are talking about what the average ESPN customer desires in a product they are willing to continue to spend their hard earned money on.

• Dislike
Reactions: Rural and abcguyks

Cyhops

Nov 4, 2009
Oak Island NC
I'm not entertained. Give me a guy like Rich Eisen over any former player. Tony Romo becoming a commentator is kind of a joke also, but I hate the Cowboys so my opinion might not be worth much there.
I hate the cowboys as well but aikman and johnston are two of the best.

zarnold56

Aug 9, 2009
How about culture then?

You don’t have to agree with it, but if you don’t think there are parents out there that don’t want their kids to watch the ESPYs celebrate Jenner or football players kissing their boyfriends on draft day, then you simply live in a bubble and don’t expose yourself to anyone that doesn’t contribute to your echo chamber.

Again, we aren’t’ talking about what is right or wrong (for you or me) , we are talking about what the average ESPN customer desires in a product they are willing to continue to spend their hard earned money on.

This whole politics angle is so overblown. ESPN's ratings and consumption is as strong as ever between all their platforms. The issue is coming from the people who don't watch ESPN and move to other options than cable/dish that had to pay for ESPN in the past. That's where they are losing the real money. ESPN is finally seeing who really wants to watch sports.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I would love to see Katz at CBS. It's one thing to fire a bunch of guys that don't add. Katz is theone person I go to for college basketball that does not seem to be a real homer for a conference or a team.

Agree. Andy would be a good replacement for 90 year old Bill "man to man" Rafferty, although AK hasn't done a lot of game analyst work.
Surprised to see ESPN keep someone like Seth Greenberg over Katz.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
How about culture then?

Snowflakes can't handle? Not enough Tebow on the cross for them?

This ****** world where every little thing must MUST be political.

• Agree
Reactions: isufbcurt

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Bigots gon' Bigot.

I realize the temptation is to be judgmental, but the point is still the point. Most likely 50% (probably larger) of their target audience has cultural, political, and/or religious viewpoints that differ from several of the issues they've focused time on and seemed to side towards.

As general rule, you want to relate to your customers (or at the vary least, be neutral) , not alienate them.

This is Business 101.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
SC6 is so bad, you have to watch it because you know it is so bad. Cue the fingernails on the chalkboard please.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I was also going to try to catch the replay on the podcast. Can anyone paraphrase what Hassel said, and Keith and Andy's take on it?

It was just Chris speaking of the cuff and from his heart. He got choked up a couple of times which was hard to listen to. Murph and Andy just tried to keep him upbeat and encouraged.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
SC6 is so bad, you have to watch it because you know it is so bad. Cue the fingernails on the chalkboard please.

That show might be the worst thing ESPN has ever put on.

They need to bring back stump the schwab and maybe I would tune in.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Help Support Us

Become a patron