ESPN FIGHT!

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I can't believe I am reading some of this stuff....

Running your mouth and being hit for it is okay.
I'll excuse myself from this thread for a while.
Good god, is your reading comprehension that bad? Do you not see where I posted right after that that it isn't acceptable. It is a way of putting herself in a bad situation is what I am saying.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
This is so insanely stupid. People realize full well what he meant. Just trying to be self righteous dicks about it.

Give it up Craig. You're fighting with people who just want to twist it to argue.

Really, its all about how you perceive the comments.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I can't believe I am reading some of this stuff....

Running your mouth and being hit for it is okay.
I'll excuse myself from this thread for a while.

9k=

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
Man, I can't wait for this day to be over so I can go home and smack my wife around for not giving it up to me (I have it in my spreadsheet) then question what the hell I'm doing with my life the rest of the night.

Last edited:

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
Unfortunately, as proven in this thread, there are still a lot of men who have really thick skulls and really small brains.

Yep. I don't care what a women has done or said to a guy just walk away. A man who hits a woman is one of the lowest forms of life that there is.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Stephen A shouldbe fired for his complete failure to put together a coherent thought.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Heres a question, just playing devils advocate. Let's say for some reason a woman gets mad at you at a bar and starts hitting you with a broken beer bottle or some sort of weapon. Is it ok to hit her to make her stop?

Where is that line? Assuming you can't get away for whatever reason.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Stephen A wasn't referring to this scenario specifically. All I got out of it was don't talk **** and you more than likely won't get hit. Doesn't work all the time, and I agree that most of the time the opposing party doesn't deserve to get hit (a woman should never be hit by a man), but to jump (not saying you did) on someone for saying not to provoke someone into hitting you is a little extreme.

The idea that the word "provocation" is even being discussed is sickening. I don't care what she did or say, it is incumbent on him to walk away. Also, this notion is so shortsighted as it relates to domestic abuse. My employment requires me to work with individuals who both perpetrate domestic abuse and are the victims of it, and it goes so far beyond "don't talk **** and you won't get it" that to suggest provocation has ANYTHING to do with domestic violence is absurd. Men don't hit women because of fear or frustration, they do it to maintain control. This isn't about mouthing off, it's about control.

The entire handling of this is sickening. The fact anyone would mention provocation, the woman apologizing at the press conference, just all so barbaric and awful.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Heres a question, just playing devils advocate. Let's say for some reason a woman gets mad at you at a bar and starts hitting you with a broken beer bottle or some sort of weapon. Is it ok to hit her to make her stop?

Where is that line? Assuming you can't get away for whatever reason.

You are really geared up about this whole being allowed to hit a woman thing, aren't you? Ok, so you are right, if a woman is attempting to cause your serious bodily harm and there is no other escape it may be justifiable to use force. There you go-- hit away.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I really dislike Stephen A on many levels. It's just a personality that wears me out really fast.

It seems to me that he just trying to say that he is aware of the domestic violence that goes on and tells his own family members to be careful. Given the sensitivity of the subject matter, he picked a really poor time for a stupid analogy.

I haven't seen a single "pro-domestic abuse" post in here and I hope I never do. I just think some people are being realistic saying that it does go on and there may SOMETIMES be ways to protect yourself from getting into the situation in the first place. That does not, in any way possible, mean that abuse is ever deserved.

Stephen A probably should have said "Let's make sure we do our best to avoid the situation" versus "let's make sure we don't do anything to provoke wrong actions". I think that phrase may have set this whole thing off.

All in all, I like watching him have to squirm. His demeanor pisses me off. I can't watch him even if he makes an occassional good point.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
You are really geared up about this whole being allowed to hit a woman thing, aren't you? Ok, so you are right, if a woman is attempting to cause your serious bodily harm and there is no other escape it may be justifiable to use force. There you go-- hit away.

I am not saying to go around and hit every woman you can find. I am saying that there are certain times when it would be ok to hit anyone regardless of gender. Obviously you try to diffuse the situation without using force but sometimes you have to, regardless of gender.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
The idea that the word "provocation" is even being discussed is sickening. I don't care what she did or say, it is incumbent on him to walk away. Also, this notion is so shortsighted as it relates to domestic abuse. My employment requires me to work with individuals who both perpetrate domestic abuse and are the victims of it, and it goes so far beyond "don't talk **** and you won't get it" that to suggest provocation has ANYTHING to do with domestic violence is absurd. Men don't hit women because of fear or frustration, they do it to maintain control. This isn't about mouthing off, it's about control.

The entire handling of this is sickening. The fact anyone would mention provocation, the woman apologizing at the press conference, just all so barbaric and awful.
Nobody said what Ray Rice did was acceptable or that it was her fault. Just that she should be smart about the situation and not put herself in a bad situation in case she did do something. If you ever learn anything on sociology is that women can be provokers of violence by men. This has been true since the beginning of life on earth.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I am not saying to go around and hit every woman you can find. I am saying that there are certain times when it would be ok to hit anyone regardless of gender. Obviously you try to diffuse the situation without using force but sometimes you have to, regardless of gender.
I think there could be very small certain situations. But very rare.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008

Just seems like a really weird argument to support. Ok, yes, if a woman is trying to murder you one does not have to allow her to do so in lieu of hitting her. Point taken.