End of KU/TCU game

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I'm really confused about how this ended. KU had a 4th down with 7 seconds left on their own 16. Their QB ran into the endzone and threw the ball out of the back of the endzone with 1 second left. The refs called a safety. Why wasn't that an incomplete pass and TCU ball on the 16? Does throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone mean something different than throwing to the sidelines?

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
I'm really confused about how this ended. KU had a 4th down with 7 seconds left on their own 16. Their QB ran into the endzone and threw the ball out of the back of the endzone with 1 second left. The refs called a safety. Why wasn't that an incomplete pass and TCU ball on the 16? Does throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone mean something different than throwing to the sidelines?
Throwing backwards is a fumble

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Ah. That makes sense. I was expecting KU to pull a very KU thing and screw up running out the clock.

All he had to do was run out of the back of the end zone. So it would have been a totally KU thing if he had taken the ball back to throw and it slipped out of his hand and TCU fallen on it for a TD. I don't know why he threw it to be honest.