enCYCLONEpedia: Analyzing the 2013 offense & slow starts

djkent01

Feb 21, 2008
Des Moines, IA
So the D starts out average in the first and is strong in the 3rd. Sure sounds to me like the D game plan and halftime adjustments are effective, but the O leaves them hanging out to dry. I think those stats align with the eye test and what many have theorized. Nicely done! Gives me more hope for this season if the O can produce.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
Great job Kirk! Last season I usually felt like the D played okay. In fact if you through out the Baylor game the D usually kept us somewhat in the game throughout the whole first half and into the third quarter. They were by no means good, but if the offense was competent they may have been able to get the job done more often than not.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Sam Richardson (DB) will have a lot of picks this season. Heard it here first

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
Outstanding analysis. Confirms what many believe, that the anemic offense had a negative effect on the defense over the course of the game and season. And, I think the 3rd quarter defensive improvement is directly attributed to Wally, and the fact they get to catch their breath at halftime.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
No real surprise for most of us. But it is nice to see hunches and theories fleshed out in statistics. Also speaks to the coaching adjustments that get made at halftime. Just don't have the horses to keep it up.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
How many times at home was our crowd wanting to be excited and the Mess three and out happened several times in the first quarter and the fans sat on their hands waiting for something to happen. Then when the game was almost lost at the end, Mess decided we could be brave and try a fifteen yard pass downfield. Perhaps CPR was too conservative with his OC. The end of first halves was brutal. Onward and forward to a better offense.

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Thanks for reading, guys. I am efforting to find some positive numbers to stare at. If only it was easier to do.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It seems like in years past, CPR teams got lots of turnovers. And I can barely remember any from last year.