Empty Seat Question

CompCy

Apr 7, 2006
Ames
My experience at both Jack Trice and Hilton is that if I have empty seats because someone couldn’t make it people will sit in those seats. It feels a bit rude to come and sit down without saying anything. That is what makes people in my family angry.

If someone asks if someone is sitting there I will say “No, but I have a ticket for that seat. You can use it if you want.” I have never turned away someone who asked nicely.

Reactions: Yellow Snow

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
My experience at both Jack Trice and Hilton is that if I have empty seats because someone couldn’t make it people will sit in those seats. It feels a bit rude to come and sit down without saying anything. That is what makes people in my family angry.

If someone asks if someone is sitting there I will say “No, but I have a ticket for that seat. You can use it if you want.” I have never turned away someone who asked nicely.
If I was moving to a different seat, the first thing I would ask is "Do you mind if I sit here?" Seems logical.

Reactions: coolerifyoudid

SMG

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Any seat is fair game but if you didn't buy it, then you gotta get out if the people who bought them show up.

Good example was at the United Center for the Sweet 16 this year. We snuck down to the 3rd row after the first game and thought we hit the jackpot when we noticed these seats were empty the entire previous game. Well about halfway through the first half, a couple Miami fans show up and claim their seat back. So we had to go hat in hand back to the upper deck where our real seats were.

But the guy next to us (providence fan) when we were leaving was like "I knew they weren't yours but I respected the hustle, good luck!"
We snuck into the Kansas section since we figured they would be leaving early. Met a nice couple from DM who were Jayhawks. They didn't rat us out, but saw quite a few drunk cyclone fans get asked to leave.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Is it ok to use an empty seat near your own seat in Jack Trice?
My season ticket seat is in the row right behind my oldest son's seat. Last Saturday at the Baylor game, there were 2 empty seats on my left side. My son moved back to my row to stand by me. As I said the seats had not been utilized by anyone in the early part of the game. There was a couple in the next 2 seats that told my son that "those seats were bought already and he couldn't sit there." My son said to them that if the occupant of the seat came he would move back but would like to stand by his dad. They started to get very upset. A person 2 or 3 rows behind the couple started to yell at my son to get out of the seat. My son did move back to his seat. He told me that while they were correct that the seat was not his, he felt that their response was way out reason. I totally agreed with him. BTW- No one ever sat in those seats the entire game.

Thoughts?

Those people were a**holes.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Off topic, but seating related. DH and I entered a plane and sat in our seats. A woman comes in and says, "Oh, this is my seat. We glance at the ticket and sure enough, it's the same seat number. We call a flight attendant over, who is cautiously concerned and goes to the front of the plane while the three of us stand there. Pretty quickly she comes back and with a smile tells the woman that she won't have to sit on DH's lap. Because she's on the wrong flight.
If she is cute, I would let her sit in my lap.

Reactions: CyBobby

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Last game it seemed everyone in my row was off by a seat or two but it really was where one group ended then a seat break then the next group started, so instead of eing all crammed together there was space for each group. By the rules probably not did it work well yep.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Yeah but how dumb do you have to be to get on the wrong flight?

Eh, mistakes can happen especially with gate changes and such, and people may be at a point in their day where they're pretty tired.

I'd put the blame there on the gate agent. They should have caught that error when they scanned the boarding pass.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

fcclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 15, 2009
Eh, mistakes can happen especially with gate changes and such, and people may be at a point in their day where they're pretty tired.

I'd put the blame there on the gate agent. They should have caught that error when they scanned the boarding pass.
Yeah I am a little surprised the boarding pass scanned for the wrong flight.

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
Why should the people sitting a couple of seats over from those seats feel any more entitled to use those seats?

Because they know that they aren’t the persons seats that are trying to sit there. It’s not that hard to understand.

Do you believe that someone should be able to walk around RV Village, find a stop on Saturday AM that isn’t being used, pull in their RV, and move move if the owner of the site comes?

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

I@ST1

Dec 15, 2020
I would actually ask if that was their seat. Because obviously those people would say they do mind despite not having any claim to the seats either.

It’s not his ticket. It doesn’t matter if the other people have any “claim” to the seats. It’s literally not his seat so he shouldn’t sit there.

• Dumb
Reactions: alarson

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022
It’s not his ticket. It doesn’t matter if the other people have any “claim” to the seats. It’s literally not his seat so he shouldn’t sit there.
People like to keep out the “riff-raff”. Whenever I use that term and my wife hears it, she gently reminds me that we ARE the riff-raff…

Reactions: VeloClone

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Unless they owned the seats they should mind their gd business. Why are people so nosey in this state

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Off topic, but seating related. DH and I entered a plane and sat in our seats. A woman comes in and says, "Oh, this is my seat. We glance at the ticket and sure enough, it's the same seat number. We call a flight attendant over, who is cautiously concerned and goes to the front of the plane while the three of us stand there. Pretty quickly she comes back and with a smile tells the woman that she won't have to sit on DH's lap. Because she's on the wrong flight.

How were they allowed to board the plane? Wouldn’t the ticket at the gate not register? I probably know the answer to this, the person at the gate was just going through the motions and wasn’t paying attention.

Reactions: JP4CY

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

The people should have just minded their own business. Per the OP, it sounds like he has four seats. Two in each row right next to each other. With two being right in front of the other. So it’s not like he bought a cheap ticket to grab a nicer seat, he just wanted to sit next to his dad in seats that weren’t being used.

If the other group wanted to spread out, it sounds like there was still one seat with of space to be used.

Reactions: VeloClone

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Is it ok to use an empty seat near your own seat in Jack Trice?
My season ticket seat is in the row right behind my oldest son's seat. Last Saturday at the Baylor game, there were 2 empty seats on my left side. My son moved back to my row to stand by me. As I said the seats had not been utilized by anyone in the early part of the game. There was a couple in the next 2 seats that told my son that "those seats were bought already and he couldn't sit there." My son said to them that if the occupant of the seat came he would move back but would like to stand by his dad. They started to get very upset. A person 2 or 3 rows behind the couple started to yell at my son to get out of the seat. My son did move back to his seat. He told me that while they were correct that the seat was not his, he felt that their response was way out reason. I totally agreed with him. BTW- No one ever sat in those seats the entire game.

Thoughts?
TL;DR. Tarp

Help Support Us

Become a patron