Eli chooses, Fran loses

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I’m done talking about all that. Lol would rather talk about Eli King.
I've seen him play in person a few times. He's good. Doesn't seem to be as big as they have him listed but that's fairly common. He's a great natural athlete. Really quick first step, he can get to the hoop and he can really jump. Pretty solid outside shooter and a pretty good passer. To be honest I really don't know what I think his weakness, if any, would be. He's a good kid and is a coaches son so I'm sure he has a high basketball IQ. Plus he's just flat out a winner. A lot to like about him.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've seen him play in person a few times. He's good. Doesn't seem to be as big as they have him listed but that's fairly common. He's a great natural athlete. Really quick first step, he can get to the hoop and he can really jump. Pretty solid outside shooter and a pretty good passer. To be honest I really don't know what I think his weakness, if any, would be. He's a good kid and is a coaches son so I'm sure he has a high basketball IQ. Plus he's just flat out a winner. A lot to like about him.
Yeah I agree with everything here. The kid is just a flat out stud at everything.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
He is. I wasn't there to see it but I know he matched up with Jalen Suggs last year and at least held his own. The level of competition in college won't overwhelm him.
Yeah he seems like a guy, similar to Suggs, who won’t let anything intimidate him and is skilled enough to play right away.

Lord knows we could use a guy with that mentality

• Agree
Reactions: usedcarguy

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
You still feel good about Iowa's chances?
I really have no clue. I'm assuming you've heard something since you're being so smug about it. I have no idea what relationship they have with TJ at this point. I certainly liked Iowa's chances better before the season ended. I don't think Prohm had much of a shot at him at all. While you won't catch me cheering for the Clones, if Eli does go there, I'll definitely be pulling for him and hope he's successful.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I really have no clue. I'm assuming you've heard something since you're being so smug about it. I have no idea what relationship they have with TJ at this point. I certainly liked Iowa's chances better before the season ended. I don't think Prohm had much of a shot at him at all. While you won't catch me cheering for the Clones, if Eli does go there, I'll definitely be pulling for him and hope he's successful.
I'm not being smug at all. I said the second TJ offered if he wanted him he would get him over Fran

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
maybe TJ is better than Fran. Thing is that nobody really knows at this point. My guess is that TJ is going to look like a rockstar for the next couple of years but who knows after that. When you take over a program that has bottomed out there is only one way to go really.

There's no maybe. Some of us know he is.

Fran's probably a better boozer, and while I DO appreciate that in a person, that doesn't make him a better coach. Iowa, like Iowa state has a good basketball tradition. That will get any competent coach at least to .500 in the conference assuming you give them a few classes to assemble their own team and identity. In Fran's 11 seasons at Iowa, he's never achieved better than a 3rd place finish. Never won a conference tournament either. His career percentage is .587, which ironically is the same percentage as his career at Iowa. That makes him an above average to good coach, but that's about it.

I think he's good at X's and O's, as evidenced by his time at Siena. But let's be honest,. Before he came to Iowa, he never had to recruit elite talent. He only had two years of assistant coaching experience before getting the head gig at Lehigh. The inability to recruit has been his Achilles heel. Were it not for Frank Garza, he would be sub .500. But even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every once in while.

TJ has proven he's able to recruit at a high level, and will be a rock star because he has that "it" factor He's personable, he's humble, and has tireless energy. Those types of people don't fail. He can fall short in X's and O's and still succeed with his recruiting and player development capabilities.

Reactions: Mississippi Clone

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I did for a while too. Loved Hoiberg, Eustachy, Floyd and Orr. Loved McCarney and CPR. Really, really love CMC - full blown man crush.

I'll bet a majority of people (Cyclone people) on here would say the same?

What is your point?

Looking for some insight here @iahawks . is it a problem that we love our coaches?

• Informative
Reactions: JP4CY

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Just checking in to see if Iowa signed King yet. I heard from multiple sources that they think they are in the lead. :jimlad: