Electric Lawnmowers - Pros and Cons

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Sounds like throw-away battery-powered trimmer. You wouldn’t have that issue if you went with a reputable, established yard tool battery platform, like Milwaukee, Ego, Toro, etc.
Good to know, these were bought years ago, before today’s battery tech was available. I forget the brand sI had, but they weren’t cheap and not what I thought was a throw away. I would go Milwaukee this time as I’m invested in the M18 system.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
You want to save a few bucks but have Stihl quality? Buy an Echo. Hasn’t given me any trouble and I haven’t been exceptionally nice to it.

Have to agree here. I have a 15 year old Echo trimmer that runs like a champ and I haven't done anything to care for it either. Just put in the gas oil mix and replace the line when it runs out. Still fires right up.

Reactions: BCClone

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Is this really a thing? Can you pickup a mower to test it out on your lawn without buying it?

When I was debating on a mower, the associate I was talking to at Home Depot said I could return it within 90 days, even after use.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Not a fan from recent experience of using the battery equivalent of your gas powered tools? Or you just like your equipment louder, heavier, more maintenance-intensive, more expensive to operate, etc.?
1. I have worktunes and it drowns out the noise. 2. It weighs 45 lbs. 3. I dont have to change the oil, I can sharpen a blade, and I am not worried about going through 5 gals of gas in a mowing season. Each to their own I guess.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Our lawnmower is 12 years old, the blade is shot and it probably needs a new wheel, and the model is discontinued. Probably not going to cost much more to buy new than it would to repair the existing one.
Considering electric due to rising cost of gas, and ability to fold up and store some of them easier, but worried about the engine having enough power, and about the battery charge lasting long enough to mow our yard, just a little under an acre.
Any experience or suggestions? We aren't going to splurge and buy top of the line, just something that will get the job done and last for hopefully as long as our old one did...
Thanks in advance!

buy a cheap push mower on Craigslist or Facebook.

OtisMyMan

May 3, 2013
On a slightly different subject, I have a self propelled Craftsman gas mower that runs fine and cuts OK, but has one major fault. The metal drive gears on the front axle tear up the plastic gears on the drive wheels in less than a full mowing season. I have to replace these wheels every spring and have used various dealers on Amazon including some that are claiming Sears OME. Nevertheless, they all have the same result and I wind up pushing my "self propelled" mower. Has anyone else had this issue and can suggest a fix, other than just dumping the mower (which is looking more and more attractive)?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I had a 15 year old gas trimmer. I did everything possible to blow it up so I could buy an electric trimmer. I never could blow it up but I did get an Ego that I've been very happy with. Not ready to replace the snowblower for the 5 times a year I use it.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Looks like I will be in the market for a trimmer before the end of the summer. My trimmer battery appears to be not charging anymore (9 years old). Will likely just start the transition to an all EGo fleet.

SeaClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
1. I have worktunes and it drowns out the noise. 2. It weighs 45 lbs. 3. I dont have to change the oil, I can sharpen a blade, and I am not worried about going through 5 gals of gas in a mowing season. Each to their own I guess.
My point is you’re saying you’re not a fan of something you apparently have no experience using. It’s like saying you don’t like a food you’ve never tried. I do not understand that mentality.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
My point is you’re saying you’re not a fan of something you apparently have no experience using. It’s like saying you don’t like a food you’ve never tried. I do not understand that mentality.

I have used them, I even own a battery powered Dewalt chainsaw.

ILikeBacon

Apr 1, 2013
I have a Dewalt electric and it's perfect for the size of my yard. The battery won't do my entire yard though, but I don't mind taking a break for an hour or so while it charges.

That being said, to my knowledge an acre is a little smaller than a football field so I assume you are wanting a riding mower? There's no way an electric push mower would be able to handle that size of a yard.

I've seen electric riding mowers at Lowes before but have no experience with them so cant really give you much advice except to stay away from electric push mowers for that size yard.
I have gone to the Dewalt system for cordless power. What do you think of the Dewalt mower's performance so far? Durability? Ease of use?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Snow blowing I would think whenever I need to leave for work would be fine. Snow is a bugger once it gets packed down.
Yeah and you have an obligation to remove snow from the sidewalk especially if kids are trying to get to the bus stop in the morning. Another big difference is there aren't a lot of neighbors with their windows open when there is fresh snow on the ground at Oh-dark-thirty in the winter. There are a lot of windows open pretty much the entire mowing season.

GBlade

Mar 9, 2014
Anyone have an electric automatic mower? Saw one at a house down the street, and have to say, I found the thought of not having to mow intriguing.

Reactions: BigTurk

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
My Ryobi crapped out, but Home Depot gave me a full refund which was nice. Went with others advice in this thread on the Ego 56V. The sale for $400.00 mentioned in this thread was all sold out, but I was able to get a refurbished one at the same price so hopefully I have good luck with this one.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Thread bump Do any of you have a electric chainsaw? Any recommendations? Supposedly my dad wants one any recs would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron