Electric Lawnmowers - Pros and Cons

iastatehunter

Jul 28, 2013
We have a 60v Greenworks mower that can do our 1/4 acre on one charge. Would recommend at least one other battery just in case you need a bit more juice. It is really convenient having the hot swap batteries for all the different tools you can get.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I got an electric mower (eGO) for my postage stamp of a yard (Less than a quarter acre). Works great. I think I was able to get 5 mows out of a single charge on a 5Ahr battery. Power is good and it cuts nicely.

All the reviews list around an acre as theoretically possible with a single 5AH battery charge, but I think that assumes really ideal conditions. Long grass, self propelled w/ hills, etc probably mean you are looking at needing a battery swap. That said, my mower came with a rapid charger that's pretty quick.

If you are willing to commit to going full electric the cost becomes more palatable. The reduced noise is also nice.

CRCy17

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Chicago, IL
Went through the same debate earlier this year and decided to go with the Ryobi 40v self-propelled mower. Works great for my size of yard and my mowing routine. Mine has 2 batteries (2 battery slots), but only runs on one at a time. I start with both loaded, once one dies, I flip the switch to the other and put the original on the charger while I continue. Just over battery finishes my front and sides, and I let the dead one charge while I run the trimmer across the edges in the front/side and pick up the dog droppings in the back. Once I resume to finish the back, if the second battery dies, the first is recharged by then and can easily be brought back in. Love how light it is, how quiet it is (compared to my old gas mower), and the push to start isn't necessary by any means, but quite convenient.

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
I have an EGO and can do .33 acres on 1 battery. If you have a huge yard, just get 2 batteries, or do half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Its great not having to change oil or run to the gas station to fill up a tank.

• Agree
Reactions: isucy86

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Will repeat my blade sharpening question. Assume this is still needed or are folks just not doing it and getting a good cut still YOY?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I bought the 7.5 amh EGO this spring and have no regrets so far. I have a third of an acre walk-out and have had no problems with getting through the whole thing with battery to spare. The rapid charger it comes with gets the battery back to full in under an hour.

My only complaint is the self propel motor sounds like a power wheel :D

I intend to buy EGO's single or dual stage snow blower before this winter, unless the mower dies on me this summer

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Great thread. I'm bookmarking this for the next time I have to buy something.

I switched to battery string trimmer and leaf blower a few years ago and the convenience alone makes it worth it.

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
Will repeat my blade sharpening question. Assume this is still needed or are folks just not doing it and getting a good cut still YOY?

I have a Greenworks 80v model (non self-propelled) and have had it for 2 seasons now. I just sharpened my first blade and yes it needed it. The bonus is, without oil/gas you can just turn the thing upside down and wrench the blade off without any concerns. I actually bought a second blade and sharpened my first with a Dremel grinder - was super easy to do.

I absolutely love it. I have around 1/2 acre and can get through all by the very worst case scenario (tall, wet grass) on one battery. Usually I can mow/trim/blow all on 1 battery. But as others have said, it's not a big deal at all to swap batteries, super easy to do.

My full thoughts on my greenworks 80v vs my old B&S (both 21" decks, push mower, etc)
Pros:
1) quieter
2) easier to fuel
3) only maintenance is the blade
4) slightly lighter/easier to push
5) much better deck height management

Cons:
1) a tiny bit less powerful, mostly due to the auto-speed control (I wish there was a way to manually control the blade speed)

Push: replacement cost was going to be roughly the same at the time I bought the greenworks model

Reactions: bawbie

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have an EGO and can do .33 acres on 1 battery. If you have a huge yard, just get 2 batteries, or do half in the morning and half in the afternoon. Its great not having to change oil or run to the gas station to fill up a tank.
Some places you can get an extra battery just by buying a blower or another tool. The battery's should be the same to just check and make sure they are, as I understand it.

• Agree
Reactions: nrg4isu

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Yes, this is still needed. I had an older Greenworks 40v that was a twin-blade configuration...which made sharpening a PITA, but the battery/duration/cut quality seemed to hold up longer than most battery mowers in that time period (2012-2017). It also had a different curve to the blade that helped provide lift.

I had one of the motors crap out after 5 years, bought a replacement motor for $40, worked well but I didn't take the time to properly recrimp the proprietary wire harness connector and switched to a Toro gas while it was out-of-commission.

I'm waiting to jump in on the next-gen Toro 60V Super Recycler as the next battery tool line. I'm in the Milwaukee battery eco system and have their trimmers and blower, which are great (no idea why people still use gas string trimmers of all things), but I'm not sold on those companies with mower design.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Our lawnmower is 12 years old, the blade is shot and it probably needs a new wheel, and the model is discontinued. Probably not going to cost much more to buy new than it would to repair the existing one.
Considering electric due to rising cost of gas, and ability to fold up and store some of them easier, but worried about the engine having enough power, and about the battery charge lasting long enough to mow our yard, just a little under an acre.
Any experience or suggestions? We aren't going to splurge and buy top of the line, just something that will get the job done and last for hopefully as long as our old one did...
Thanks in advance!
I have an cub cadet ZT1 42E and love it. I can mow my 2/3 acre lot on 25% of a charge.

There’s no engine to maintain. No oil. No spark plugs. No gas. Just charge and go.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yes, this is still needed. I had an older Greenworks 40v that was a twin-blade configuration...which made sharpening a PITA, but the battery/duration/cut quality seemed to hold up longer than most battery mowers in that time period (2012-2017). It also had a different curve to the blade that helped provide lift.

I had one of the motors crap out after 5 years, bought a replacement motor for $40, worked well but I didn't take the time to properly recrimp the proprietary wire harness connector and switched to a Toro gas while it was out-of-commission.

I'm waiting to jump in on the next-gen Toro 60V Super Recycler as the next battery tool line. I'm in the Milwaukee battery eco system and have their trimmers and blower, which are great (no idea why people still use gas string trimmers of all things), but I'm not sold on those companies with mower design.
I feel like Milwaukee is probably safe. Their parent is also owns Ryobi, who got in really early with elec outdoor products.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
This doesn't apply to OP, but I'm more than content with my corded electric mower. I only need 100' of extension cord to do my 1/6 acre property. Last weekend my backyard was insanely long for the first cut of the year and it handled it like a pro.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I feel like Milwaukee is probably safe. Their parent is also owns Ryobi, who got in really early with elec outdoor products.

Probably...but $1,099 (Milwaukee mower kit) vs. a proven mulching beast like the Super Recycler at $849? Let's just say I wouldn't pay a $250 premium to jump in on their first iteration, and I love the Personal Pace system over a stop/go self-propel....but that's just me. Also looking at Toro's electric snow blower line for less hassle on some of those easier/lighter snowfalls.

Links for those interested:

Last edited:
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Probably...but $1,099 (Milwaukee mower kit) vs. a proven mulching beast like the Super Recycler at $849? Let's just say I wouldn't pay a $250 premium to jump in on their first iteration, and I love the Personal Pace system over a stop/go self-propel....but that's just me. Also looking at Toro's electric snow blower line for less hassle on some of those easier/lighter snowfalls.

Links ror those interested:

No, you're probably right at that price. My Dewalt probably $500 when I bought it a couple years back:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-...nd-Self-Propelled-Mower-DCMWSP244U2/314297685

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Our lawnmower is 12 years old, the blade is shot and it probably needs a new wheel, and the model is discontinued. Probably not going to cost much more to buy new than it would to repair the existing one.
Considering electric due to rising cost of gas, and ability to fold up and store some of them easier, but worried about the engine having enough power, and about the battery charge lasting long enough to mow our yard, just a little under an acre.
Any experience or suggestions? We aren't going to splurge and buy top of the line, just something that will get the job done and last for hopefully as long as our old one did...
Thanks in advance!

Totally love the idea of upgrading to electric, but a new wheel is $10 and a new blade is $20. Just take the blade off and take it to your local mower dealer/hardware store, they will find a blade that is very close.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Totally love the idea of upgrading to electric, but a new wheel is $10 and a new blade is $20. Just take the blade off and take it to your local mower dealer/hardware store, they will find a blade that is very close.
MTD probably makes half the blades out there.

• Agree
Reactions: mramseyISU