Elam ending...NCAA

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
This was what I was thinking. How are teams going to try and manipulate the system around the last dead ball?
The team winning usually takes a time out as soon as they can after 4 minute mark. You have to remember this has been implemented for years in the TBT and its done nothing but make the game a lot more fun to watch. You know the bracket thing the NCAA does not after each NCAA tourny game where they have the winning team advance their name on the large bracket? That came from TBT

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
In theory I like this, but I'd have to see it play out. I have not watched a TBT game, but probably should. It seems like something that could negatively affect a winning team as well, though. Star player gets hurt or fouls out. It can happen in any game, but now that team can't just play tough defense to win. Despite playing better than the other team all game long, they have to score. Rare scenario, admittedly.

There would be some additional coaching decisions to be made.

Do you play your star player with four fouls to try to build up a lead prior to the 4 minute mark?
Do you use timeouts more liberally to avoid falling behind prior to the 4 minute mark?
Do you foul a weak shooter at the 6 and 5 minute marks to keep a team from pulling away?
Do you milk the shot clock around that time with your subs to keep the other team from scoring and give your better players rest?

I feel like some coaches will find ways to still slow the game down, but it will be done at different time in the game now.

Would they just set the clock to 16 minutes and then institute the Elam rule? It seems kinda dumb to stop a game clock with minutes left and then shut it off. Of course, watching teams play without a game clock would take time getting used to as well.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Is it possible we've been robbed of several good endings because of intentionally fouling to slow the game down?

No. Actually fouling has probably gave us some awesome endings. Fouling at the end can't really screw with a possible good ending. The only reason teams foul is having to foul to stop the clock. I can't think of basketball in the tourney or during the regular season without having the chance for some dude to drill a last second 3 pointer.

UNI1ISU2

Jun 7, 2019
No. Actually fouling has probably gave us some awesome endings. Fouling at the end can't really screw with a possible good ending. The only reason teams foul is having to foul to stop the clock. I can't think of basketball in the tourney or during the regular season without having the chance for some dude to drill a last second 3 pointer.
That same dude can drill that same 3 when down 2 and need 3 points to hit the elam ending

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

I'm sorry you're wrong. You need to think outside of the box just a little bit.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
I've haven't watched the TBT tournament, but the idea is intriguing. My main question is whether it really prevents fouling for free throws?
Why wouldn't it? You are just giving your opponent free points that inch them closer to the seven needed without helping yourself. You are not stopping a clock at that point.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
There would never be an overtime game with these rules, correct?

Right. If you're ahead 70-63 with 3:50 left, and there's a dead ball, the game clock turns off (shot clock still active). First team to 78* wins.

*they changed it from 7 points to 8 this year

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
The team winning usually takes a time out as soon as they can after 4 minute mark. You have to remember this has been implemented for years in the TBT and its done nothing but make the game a lot more fun to watch. You know the bracket thing the NCAA does not after each NCAA tourny game where they have the winning team advance their name on the large bracket? That came from TBT

Regarding the bolded...maybe for you; it does nothing for me.

If you want to stop unnecessary fouling, just get rid of the single bonus and make every foul 2 free throws plus possession after the 10th team foul. Simple. And both teams are penalized for fouling. CBB is presently a timed game...score as many points as you can in the time allotted. There's no need to make a more complicated hybrid time-limited/point-limited game.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
But but...what about the blowout wins where star players stuff their stats and bench warmers get playing time? We would only get 7 points worth of what normally is 4 minutes of garbage time...

Edit: I did some math and I think the 2014 Iowa game would've ended with Niang's kiss to the student section...I now blindly support this rule change.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
I’m all for it if only so it might make a West Virginia game actually end within the allotted 2 hour TV window when they play before us.

Or....

- West Virginia ramps up their defense. The other team can't score a basket and WVU only gets called for a foul once out of every three trips down the floor. Then their opponent maybe hits one out of two free throws. West Virginia also can't hit water falling out of a boat, so they aren't threatening to win. 30 minutes later, the 7th point is mercifully scored.

- West Virginia is playing a Big 10 team and the game is 33-41 when the four minute mark comes up. The ghost of Jerry Tarkanian glances up at the scoreboard, bites a towel and shakes his head. He then puts a curse on everyone in attendance and leaves.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Regarding the bolded...maybe for you; it does nothing for me.

If you want to stop unnecessary fouling, just get rid of the single bonus and make every foul 2 free throws plus possession after the 10th team foul. Simple. And both teams are penalized for fouling. CBB is presently a timed game...score as many points as you can in the time allotted. There's no need to make a more complicated hybrid time-limited/point-limited game.

I might go slightly different than that- at 7 fouls (single bonus) get rid of the 1 and 1 and just have it be 2 shots, as if the double bonus started earlier.

At somewhere above the current double bonus, say 13 team fouls, do two shots and the ball.

Or you could be consistent all the way through, and make it progressively more punishing: 7 fouls: 1 shot and the ball. 10 fouls: 2 shots and the ball. 13 fouls: 3 shots and the ball.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron