Ejm on the boards

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Just wondering how many boards everybody thinks Mel will average this year. Seems to be a lot of people expecting him to up his numbers from last year and average a dub dub but I don't see it happening. This is not at all because I don't think he's capable but I think we will be much better on the glass as a team so that will hurt his numbers some. Kane sounds like he could be a Jake Anderson type rebounding guard. Georges should be much improved after a year of working on his body and fundamental throwback type players like him almost always find themselves in good position. Most importantly, Melvin himself said Hogue "Makes me look average." Unless Ejim is totally blowing smoke, it's safe to assume Hogue will get more than his fair share. Thoughts?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
They thought Clyburn was gonna lead the team in rebounds. I have no doubt Ejim can average a double double again. I have no problems with Hogue/Kane taking over Cluburns share plus more from the other team.

cycloneinpdx

Jul 10, 2013
Twin Cities
I get the feeling that Ejim and Houge won't be seeing the floor a lot together. There are few times where we would try to go "big", especially when our two big guys are only 6-6. I think when Houge is on the floor, he will be paired with Niang... maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling that I got, especially after reading the cbssports article that was posted here earlier today.

That being said, I could see it going slightly down. But not by much. Even if more rebounds are gobbled up by the rest of our team, his ability to rebound will still keep him at about 9 RPG... he won't average a double-double, but he'll have more than a few of them this year.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
I think a big factor here is that we will likely shoot a much lower amount of threeballs. Ejim is a fantastic rebounder, but our high shot/miss volume is a big reason for his gaudy numbers. I'd guess Mel averages ~14pts, 8rebs, and a few more assists than last year.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I think it is good question. Clyburn averaged about 7 rebounds last year, and I think that would be a big number for Hogue to get to. Hopefully Niang can pick up a few more this year. Kane should be a slightly better rebounder than Babb (3.4 rpg).

I think Ejim maintains or improves on his numbers if he figures out how to stay on the court longer without foul trouble this year. It would be great to see 30 minutes from him.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
I think it really depends on how Fred intends to use him. I know he will rebound very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he upped his points but rebounds dropped a bit. Maybe 16 and 8?

Agree. If he ends up playing away from the basket a bit - could make the numbers drop.

I think it will be tough to beat 9.3 rebs/ game. I feel like he already gets 90% that come his direction.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
I think a big factor here is that we will likely shoot a much lower amount of threeballs. Ejim is a fantastic rebounder, but our high shot/miss volume is a big reason for his gaudy numbers. I'd guess Mel averages ~14pts, 8rebs, and a few more assists than last year.

I agree we won't be launching as many 3's this year. I have no idea if this helps or hurts Mel's rebounding. If we aren't shooting 3's, I feel like we will be slashing to the hoop a lot more this year. Which could mean the defenders down low would be rotating to cover and possibly leaving Ejim to work his magic.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
What I wouldnt give to have a 6-9 230-240 lb big to pick up a few extra boards this year. We're not hitting anywhere near the 3's we hit last year, so it would be nice to have someone to match up with the other team's big and get the 6 or 7 or 8 offensive rebounds a game that Ejim gets beat out for because of his size. Maybe that's Percy, maybe not. Does Homan have any eligibility left that we don't know about?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
It wouldn't surprise me if he averaged a double-double next year. It's a lot to ask out of a player in college but I think he's one that could do it. If he plays away from the basket on offense that could limit his chances at offensive rebounds but I don't think it will by much. He has that knack for the ball.

He's gotten better ever year and I have no doubt he'll be better this year.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Agree. If he ends up playing away from the basket a bit - could make the numbers drop.

I think it will be tough to beat 9.3 rebs/ game. I feel like he already gets 90% that come his direction.

Would like to see Fred run some sets designed for Ejim to get some open outside shots this year to maybe showcase him more for the pros. With playing Hogue and Niang, you still have two capable rebounders, plus I would think Kane is no slouch on the glass either (although I'd be surprised if he got to his average that he had at Marshall)

pulse

Mar 24, 2006
He will average 9+ again. Most of Melvin's rebounds were on the defensive end, so others won't be taking away from him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm not sure he could rebound much more efficiently than he did last year, but he may get more minutes if he controls his fouls better so that could be an extra .5 to 2 boards more a game. With scoring I think he'll get more shots and average closer to 15 than 10.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I get the feeling that Ejim and Houge won't be seeing the floor a lot together. There are few times where we would try to go "big", especially when our two big guys are only 6-6. I think when Houge is on the floor, he will be paired with Niang... maybe I'm wrong, but that's the feeling that I got, especially after reading the cbssports article that was posted here earlier today.

That being said, I could see it going slightly down. But not by much. Even if more rebounds are gobbled up by the rest of our team, his ability to rebound will still keep him at about 9 RPG... he won't average a double-double, but he'll have more than a few of them this year.

We'll see, but I doubt this ends up being true. With Hogue at the 3 the opponent has to have 3 guys to guard 6'6 guys, which can cause problems. If we go smaller at the 3 it will give the other teams more of a chance to sit a 5 and put their 3 and 4's on Melvin and Georges. Basically I bet at least half of Hogue's minutes will come with both Ejim and Niang in the game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Here's my advice for all of us this year. Watch Ejim play. Appreciate him. He's been in Ames for 3 years, but I think we'll look back and wonder where he went.

He's never been the flashiest on the court like Royce or Will. Or the guy that could hit all of the 3's like Tyrus. Or even like Hoiberg's first big high school recruit like Niang. He wasn't one of the guys that went from being kicked off their team to being a good team player like Lucious.

So I am going to spend a lot of time watching him this year. Very rarely does Iowa State have a player like him.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
We'll see, but I doubt this ends up being true. With Hogue at the 3 the opponent has to have 3 guys to guard 6'6 guys, which can cause problems. If we go smaller at the 3 it will give the other teams more of a chance to sit a 5 and put their 3 and 4's on Melvin and Georges. Basically I bet at least half of Hogue's minutes will come with both Ejim and Niang in the game.

My guess is it depends on how good MM, Thomas, SDW and Bluford are, if Morris and one of those other guys can produce at a Big 12 starter level like Niang did last year our best lineup would be with Kane at the 3. Not saying that's likely, but I think it's best case scenario.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
My guess is it depends on how good MM, Thomas, SDW and Bluford are, if Morris and one of those other guys can produce at a Big 12 starter level like Niang did last year our best lineup would be with Kane at the 3. Not saying that's likely, but I think it's best case scenario.

I expect Morris will (eventually) play more minutes than just when Kane sits; in that case this is exactly what I expect, with one of the 'bigs' taking a rest.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Here's my advice for all of us this year. Watch Ejim play. Appreciate him. He's been in Ames for 3 years, but I think we'll look back and wonder where he went.

He's never been the flashiest on the court like Royce or Will. Or the guy that could hit all of the 3's like Tyrus. Or even like Hoiberg's first big high school recruit like Niang. He wasn't one of the guys that went from being kicked off their team to being a good team player like Lucious.

So I am going to spend a lot of time watching him this year. Very rarely does Iowa State have a player like him.

Great post and I agree 100%.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
Melvin Ejim's style of play and hustle is most certainly enjoyable to watch. He is my all time favorite Cyclone over Jeff Hornacek. If he continue to surpass Cyclone legends on the all-time charts, it would be an injustice not to have his jersey hung high in the rafters of Hilton. I do believe you will see Melvin 's point average will increase, but his rebounding average decrease slightly. I will definitely miss number 3 after the season is said and done.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I think it really depends on how Fred intends to use him. I know he will rebound very well. I wouldn't be surprised if he upped his points but rebounds dropped a bit. Maybe 16 and 8?

I was thinking this exact thing.