Ejim in NBA?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I have been on the fence re: whether Ejim can make it on a roster in the NBA but with his recent offensive performances, (particularly his outside shot), I'm leaning more and more in the direction of him making it.

In thinking of other players in the NBA whose game is similar to Ejim's, Shane Battier came to mind. A hustler, intense player, good defender with a good outside shot. I think Ejim's shot can continue to improve to the point he can be a threat. (Battier, however, is listed at 6'8".)

Any other players in the NBA whose game is similar to Ejim's?

Last edited:

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
I think in Ejim's case he doesn't get drafted because of his size and his age. I do think though that if he finds the right team at the right time and he could get a spot. If not, continue to work on his handles, defense, and shooting overseas for a year or two and then maybe make a roster.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I think in Ejim's case he doesn't get drafted because of his size and his age. I do think though that if he finds the right team at the right time and he could get a spot. If not, continue to work on his handles, defense, and shooting overseas for a year or two and then maybe make a roster.

I am not a big fan of the NBA, but I'd hope this is the case. I also just don't think he gets drafted, but hopefully he can impress someone.

Agclone91

Feb 5, 2011
Ames
Won't make it in the NBA but will have the opportunity to make a good living overseas if he so chooses.

I think he would make it in the NBA, but he may have to do a couple years in the D-league first or something which I'm not sure if he's willing to do.

Doesn't he want to go to law school? I don't see him going overseas to play ball if that's the case.

greatshu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2007
KS
I think he would make it in the NBA, but he may have to do a couple years in the D-league first or something which I'm not sure if he's willing to do.

Doesn't he want to go to law school? I don't see him going overseas to play ball if that's the case.

I think he will play overseas for few years and eventually come back and finish up law degree somewhere.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006

He said law school after professional basketball. Whether that professional basketball happens here or overseas, I don't think that would affect whether he'd do law school after.

mjhavlo76

Jun 23, 2009
I think Ejim gets drafted in mid-second round. Whether he sticks with an NBA team is another story. Wouldn't rule out an overseas career.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Its not so much about size or athleticism, its more about the type of athlete he is. He'll play pro ball for a long it just might not be here (at least at first). The one thing you can't argue though is his work ethic, he's a much more all around player now than I thought he could be a couple years ago. He not only became a better player he added dimensions to his game, no reason to think that won't still be the case. Steve Nash thinks he can play in the league....

cy4prez7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2010
Des Moines
Its not so much about size or athleticism, its more about the type of athlete he is. He'll play pro ball for a long it just might not be here (at least at first). The one thing you can't argue though is his work ethic, he's a much more all around player now than I thought he could be a couple years ago. He not only became a better player he added dimensions to his game, no reason to think that won't still be the case. Steve Nash thinks he can play in the league....

The reason his size poses problems is because he's too small to play the 4 and doesn't quite have the defense or handles (yet) to play the 3. He would have to be a hybrid type player which is why I think it takes the right team.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I have been on the fence re: whether Ejim can make it on a roster in the NBA and with his recent offensive performances, (particularly his outside shot), I'm leaning more and more in the direction of him making it.

I thinking of other players in the NBA whose game is similar to Ejim's, Shane Battier came to mind. A hustler, intense player, good defender with a good outside shot. I think Ejim's shot can continue to improve to the point he can be a threat. (Battier, however, is listed at 6'8".)

The issue for Ejim isn't shooting (anymore) or hussel it his ball handeling/passing. @ 6'6" and with his body type he will need to be able to play from the perimeter most likely at the 3 in the NBA. There just are not a lot of players who compare to Ejim measurables and type of game in the NBA right now thus, the difficulty in making a comparison. I hope he get's a shot and will root for him to succeed though I see having to start over in Europe or D-League and earn a spot.
Possible comparisions. James Posey or Mikael Pietrus?

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
I have been on the fence re: whether Ejim can make it on a roster in the NBA but with his recent offensive performances, (particularly his outside shot), I'm leaning more and more in the direction of him making it.

In thinking of other players in the NBA whose game is similar to Ejim's, Shane Battier came to mind. A hustler, intense player, good defender with a good outside shot. I think Ejim's shot can continue to improve to the point he can be a threat. (Battier, however, is listed at 6'8".)

Battier is a horrible comparison. Horrible. Battier was the best defender in the leauge for a number of years. He made his money on being able to guard Kobe Bryant.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
He won't be drafted. Deandre might be drafted due to his size and position.

If I know one thing about the NBA draft it is this, it is ******* stupid.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He's not the kind of player that you can put on any team and expect him to succeed. But as a role player who flourishes around a core of star players in a stable franchise, he could make it. Kind of like what the Spurs have done with the likes of DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal, Matt Bonner, Malik Rose, et al.

Snyder21

Apr 25, 2012
Sioux City, IA
The NBA is a whole other animal and to be honest Ejim's game just doesn't seem to translate. He'd be lucky to be 6'8 and he scores most of his shots on the block (which would be extremely difficult in the NBA)and spot up jumpers from 3 (which isn't his bread and butter by any means). He doesn't have the handles to shake off a defender and make a drive to the basket and get his shot off with the bigs that are in the league and he doesn't have a pull up jumper off the dribble either.

That being said, he is going to have a successful career in whatever he decides to do. Whether that be playing professional ball overseas (I think he could be very good) or pursue his opportunities in law. Either way Ejim will go down as one of the best Cyclones ever and have a very successful post college career.

1Nation

May 16, 2013
CA
He's not strong enough to play in the block and he's not fast enough to play on the perimeter. He won't get drafted and he won't play in the NBA.

European teams will drool over the Big 12 player of the year who holds the all time single game scoring record.

That said, if Ejim is serious about law school I don't see him sticking with Euro ball. He'll be defending Iowa State freshman for years to come in their cases for being in bars underage.