Ejim and Kane chances to get to the NBA?

Who will be on an NBA team on opening day next year?

• Ejim

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • Kane

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Both

Votes: 24 19.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 59 47.2%

• Total voters

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
All three have a chance the way they fill the stat sheet. Earlier this season, against easier competition, Ejim showed a back to the hoop game he didn't have last year. That to me shows his game is still developing and he has opportunity at the three. Versatility is the key for all three. It may come down to continued development on shooting the NBA three. This will help them can generate spacing for the stars to work in.
Say what you will about high percentages, but Ejim's 3 point shot generally looks terrible. He typically only shoots them when completely left open, which is probably for the best. Niang's was smoother than butter last year, but you can tell he put on some muscle this year the way he's been clanging them. Don't even get me started on Kane's 3 point shot...

allday4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA
What are the chances that Ejim and Kane will play in the NBA? I think both get shots but I had a discussion with a friend and we were arguing especially about Ejim. We also disagreed on Niang being a pro player.

Love them both, but no chance. They will make a ton of money in Europe.

bringmagicback

Dec 3, 2009
CF Resident Dog Lover
Ejim, to small, (however they say rebounding is the only thing that transfers to the next level) Kane is way to old and cant shoot. Niang is not athletic, doesnt play enough D, isnt strong enough, doesnt rebound enough, plays way below the rim, and doesnt have good enough offense to overshadow all those things.

All 3 make excellent college players however and there isnt anything wrong with that. Lots of the greatest college players dont play in the nba at all or for very long.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
If Kane improves his jump shot he could find a way on a team I think. Big body, can defend and great ball skills

I agree re: Kane's jump shot being the key. Not sure he can improve it sufficiently at this stage of his career. Ejim just doesn't have the ball handling or other offensive skills to make it.

I can see Niang making if he gets leaner/stronger by his senior year, though his height will be a limiting factor as a power forward. His offensive skills are almost there already, despite his lack of athleticism.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Melvin Ejim made a big impression on my this summer with the role he played for team Canada in their win over team USA at the World University games. He was clearly one of their better all around players, but typically played about 20 minutes, as did nearly the whole roster. Against USA, it was obvious his job was to defend Doug McDermott, . I watched this game live on ESPN3 in the wee hours of July 12, and was amazed. McDermott played 30 minutes with 17 points on 33% from the field and not a single FT attempt. There is no breakdown for this, but I was certain that while both players were on the floor, maybe 15 minutes, McDermott, projected as borderline lottery pick for the 2014 draft, was completely shut down. I figure NBA scouts took note of that, and somebody will be willing to risk a 2nd round pick on him. With ISU being a power conference contender, if Melvin doesn't make an opening day roster in the NBA, it won't be for lack of visibility.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I'm going to guess Melvin impressed at least one of those 25 NBA scouts enough by going for 22 and 9 coming off injury against Michigan to get a shot.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
We can't say what we will see from this point on, but based on last year and what they have produced this year I say they get a shot. However for players without all the pieces (size, shooting, athleticism, defense, passing, smarts) for the prototypical player at their position it really comes down to getting on exactly the right squad at exactly the right time. I just don't see either sticking for opening day 2014, but I would love to be wrong.

If Kane can start shooting lights out from outside soon - as in no later than the start of Big 12 play or Ejim demonstrates that he can be a 3 ball handler, defender and outside shooter over tight pressure, then that may change. I doubt that Mel is going to grow 3-4 inches by draft day to be really considered a power forward.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
A couple of years ago I attended a few Bucks games. Carlos Delfino plays for them and seems to be fairly similar to Niang in terms of size and skills. Defino has had a pretty good career and I think Niang could possibly fill a similar role.

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis
My thoughts exactly. Way too many good basketball players out there, and not nearly enough minutes/teams to fit them all in. They should bring back the ABA and just have 2 professional leagues. Set it up like the NFL does and send the winner of the NBA Finals and the winner of the ABA Finals to the Ultimate Finals or whatever clever name you can think of. This would give more American players more opportunity to pursue their dreams closer to home and not in a foreign country.

What am I missing? What does the NFL do that's different? In both pro leagues, the conference champion goes to the league championship. And both leagues in their current form were born out of a merger to two distinct leagues...

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
A couple of years ago I attended a few Bucks games. Carlos Delfino plays for them and seems to be fairly similar to Niang in terms of size and skills. Defino has had a pretty good career and I think Niang could possibly fill a similar role.

Their body types and athleticism are similar, but I don't see the comparison going much farther. Delfino is a 2/3 who is in the league because he can shoot from range and give his teammates more space with which to operate.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
Anything is possible with enough hard work and internal drive. I would have never imagined PJ Tucker would turn into a serviceable NBA player. He did spend a number of years overseas developing.

WDMCyclone

Feb 5, 2013
WDM/Ames, Iowa
I have a very close family friend that is a Portland scout. Says Kane is one of his favorite players in college basketball right now and they ARE looking at him.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Kane could get time as someone's 2nd point guard.
As always, need to fall into the right opportunity.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I personally think Kane will make it and stick for a while. I think Hogue has the most NBA potential of any of our guys right now. I really don't see Ejim sticking anywhere, and I think Niang simply isn't athletic enough.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think that all three are really good college players. But, the NBA is a different deal. They are obsessed with height and athleticism. If you don't have the height, you are going to have a hard time ever getting a shot...unless you are an unreal athlete or do something really well.

Ejim - He doesn't have the height for the 4. He doesn't have the athleticism or handle or shot to play the 3.
Niang - Not tall enough for the 4. Not a great rebounder. Not athletic enough to make up for his lack of height. If he were 2" taller, he'd be a surefire draft pick.

Kane - He is the one that has the height. I just don't know if he has a good enough shooting game. And, I think that he could struggle defensively with the quicker guards in the NBA.

Like I said, all three are very good college players. I'm grateful that they're on our team. I think that the best prospects on the team are Hogue and Thomas. Hogue has the athleticism that Ejim lacks and I DO think that he can play the 3 in the NBA...although his offensive game is pretty raw. Thomas has NBA size at SG. He's got a long ways to go to round out his game, but he has time to do it.

WDMCyclone

Feb 5, 2013
WDM/Ames, Iowa
I think that all three are really good college players. But, the NBA is a different deal. They are obsessed with height and athleticism. If you don't have the height, you are going to have a hard time ever getting a shot...unless you are an unreal athlete or do something really well.

Ejim - He doesn't have the height for the 4. He doesn't have the athleticism or handle or shot to play the 3.
Niang - Not tall enough for the 4. Not a great rebounder. Not athletic enough to make up for his lack of height. If he were 2" taller, he'd be a surefire draft pick.

Kane - He is the one that has the height. I just don't know if he has a good enough shooting game. And, I think that he could struggle defensively with the quicker guards in the NBA.

Like I said, all three are very good college players. I'm grateful that they're on our team. I think that the best prospects on the team are Hogue and Thomas. Hogue has the athleticism that Ejim lacks and I DO think that he can play the 3 in the NBA...although his offensive game is pretty raw. Thomas has NBA size at SG. He's got a long ways to go to round out his game, but he has time to do it.
Guys like Andre Miller that aren't knock down shooters but still have around career numbers like 13 ppg 7 assists 4 rebounds, and Kane is even more effective rebounding. Kane could be a good 15 minute a game type of player as a back up PG putting in minutes a lot like CJ Watson right now.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
If Ejim shoots the 3 like he has early he has a shot as an NBA wing player but would be in that position where he has to really earn any chance at serious minutes.

There's a place in the NBA for 6'6" wing players who can drill 3s and rebound above average for their position even if they're not highlight real guys in other areas, not so much for just average shooting ones.