Eight gone from Nebraska

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
That's not so bad. I don't recall right offhand but it seems like there was a similar exodus when CMC took over at ISU. Either guys don't fit the new scheme or they don't want to buy into the new culture.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
This is the exact same thing that happened when Campbell came here and every time a new coach goes anywhere. Simple house cleaning.

Pretty sure there were more than 8 that left when CMC came. Also remember a couple of them talking about ISU was going to become a MAC level school. Seems like there were a couple guys that really concerned me, but obviously the Clones have survived just fine, as will NU>

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Didn't Campbell lose almost 20 kids during his transition? 8 actually isn't bad considering it'll be a completely different scheme on both sides of the ball.

Gordilly

Sep 5, 2011
Did they leave because it was too awkward to sit in Frost's office and admire his national championship ring? Oh wait, maybe that was somebody else...

• Funny
Reactions: intrepid27

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Meh, nothing really to see here as there always is an exodus when a new staff comes in. Two of the bailers are linebackers, so that will them thin at that position.

DodgerHawki

Apr 1, 2009
The shocking part to me was that with 8 players gone, Nebraska is now down to 83 scholarship players, just 2 below the limit. The math doesn't add up.

Teams are allowed to be over the 85 limit for a period of time between signing day and the start of fall camp. Teams anticipate players leaving or have a good idea that guys are leaving before they get officially announced.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
The chatter from NU fans is the team was soft under Riley so the ones who left can’t handle the toughening up under Frost
Lolz, you don't say...

Solich's guys weren't tough enough for Callahan
Callahan's guys weren't tough enough for Pellini
Pellini's guys weren't tough enough for Riley
Riley's guys weren't tough enough for Frost.

Someday maybe Nebraska fan will wise up to the fact that this is is the oldest cliche with regard to football coaching changes and it's total BS.

Players leave because a new system negates what they intended to play in college, or because they don't know/like the new staff, or because they anticipate getting recruited over.

Guys like Joel, who are willing to totally switch positions are the exception, not the rule. And had Joel left to go play QB somewhere else it sure as hell wouldn't have been because he wasn't "tough enough".

Last edited:

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
This isn't a number that is shocking. Looks like a few weren't going to see time regardless of the coach. one retirement from the sport. I also saw an incoming freshman won't make it to campus because of grades though and recently after I saw some kind of discussion from Frost and local media about trying to exploit some rule to get questionable academic guys on campus similar to the Nebraska of days past and prop 48.

Bigman38

SuperFanatic
Jul 27, 2010
Council Bluffs, IA
It's funny how the new coach is always tougher, that's why they quit. :rolleyes:

It happens everywhere, some were going to quit anyways, or were close to it. The others I'm sure were advised by the staff to "explore other opportunities". Every mediocre player gone is another scholarship available for the rebuild.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron