Ehlinger vs. Purdy: The case for preseason All-Big 12 quarterback

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
a lot of our offense is RPO based. The offense runs the play the defense dictates. When Purdy threw that pick six, its obvious they confused him. Very possible they disguised their defense into a pass look pre-snap and bailed into pass coverage.

Just a wild assumption, but the result (a pick 6) makes me think they did a good job confusing our quarterback pre snap and again post snap. Good teams do that. Especially late in the year after they get film on you.

That's a really good point. If it's an RPO then you can't totally blame Manning for the imbalance. Purdy has to make the right read, too.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

The play is at 2:06:20 and I think that's exactly what they did

I might have an unpopular opinion here, but I really didn't like the black helmet/ cardinal Jersey combo last year. I think the black helmets need to be done with either white or black Jersey/ pants

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Think about Hall in about the first 2-3 weeks and then what he turned into around mid-October. Unless you're Adrian Peterson type of talent the timing of the game is going to take some time.
The offense was much more balanced after Breece got his feet on the ground. The stats for the full season just don’t show that.

I expect it to be balanced going forward—even if the new OL struggles a bit at the start.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The offense was much more balanced after Breece got his feet on the ground. The stats for the full season just don’t show that.

I expect it to be balanced going forward—even if the new OL struggles a bit at the start.

If Purdy can run and utilize his strength of being able to slip around a bit to throw he should have a better situation. No stats to back it up but he's one that seems to need to throw himself in the thick of things a bit in the run game to really get himself going.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If Purdy can run and utilize his strength of being able to slip around a bit to throw he should have a better situation. No stats to back it up but he's one that seems to need to throw himself in the thick of things a bit in the run game to really get himself going.
I’ll agree that when healthy, Brock’s mobility (and often timing of his runs) adds a factor defenses have difficulty adjusting to.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I don't believe a lack of talent at running back was the problem. I think it was more a problem of really committing to the running game, both in play-calling and developing the blocking schemes necessary. To be really good at running and passing the ball puts a greater load on the O-line also.

I agree with your post mostly. What we had for running backs was a true freshman stud and other guys who were given every opportunity to succeed that just couldn’t get it done to the level needed. I can see the logic of overusing your most consistent and best option.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree with your post mostly. What we had for running backs was a true freshman stud and other guys who were given every opportunity to succeed that just couldn’t get it done to the level needed. I can see the logic of overusing your most consistent and best option.

Kene's injury issues slowed things down which was too bad as I like what he brings.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron