EGO yard equipment

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Our new home has a very small yard so I switched to EGO electric equipment a couple years ago. Been very pleased up to now, however, the large mower battery, which is just beginning its third season, only lasts about 15 minutes. That is enough time to do about 3/4 of my yard. I used to be able to do my whole yard 3-4 times before needing a charge. Anyone had issues with them?

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Sounds like warranty time to me. I have Echo's rechargeable system, not EGO, but my battery stopped charging and I got the claim in a month before its five-year warranty expired. Saved a couple hundred dollars.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

“The typical estimated life of a Lithium-Ion battery is about two to three years or 300 to 500 charge cycles, whichever occurs first. One charge cycle is a period of use from fully charged, to fully discharged, and fully recharged again.”

Something to be said for the efficiency of gasoline?

Maybe not necessarily for gasoline, but definitely gasoline engines. I tried a lithium ion trimmer several years ago. My battery lasted just over a year...about two months beyond the warranty period

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I can string trim the entire yard and edge all of my sidewalks (corner lot) easily in 1 charge on my 2019 Ryobi 40V battery. Haven't noticed any battery deuteriation

same here.... my ryobi 40v equipment have been wonderful since buying them back in 2019. So easier to use the trimmer than a gas powered trimmer that I can’t get started. I can’t speak for any mower though.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I had an issue with my Ryobi trimmer batter back in 2015. Home Depot wouldn't do anything for me like they should have so Ryobi sent me two new ones. Haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: CYTUTT

JY07

Aug 20, 2009
DSM

“The typical estimated life of a Lithium-Ion battery is about two to three years or 300 to 500 charge cycles, whichever occurs first.

Not sure what tektronix is, but they must make the cheapest lithium batteries on the planet if they only last 2 years.

All of our yardwork stuff is EGO and we've had it probably about the same length of time: all of our batteries have been fine except the 7.5ah one that came with the lawn mower - you can tell that one's diminishing in capacity.. it was also refurbished so I didn't expect too much out of it

You might want to look into if your warranty is still valid and opening a claim

• Agree
Reactions: JimDogRock

AdRock4Cy

Jul 21, 2010
Ankeny
I have an E-Go and get about 60 minutes of mowing. Plenty for my front and back yard. I think you have a bum battery.

Reactions: DBQR4CY

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
same here.... my ryobi 40v equipment have been wonderful since buying them back in 2019. So easier to use the trimmer than a gas powered trimmer that I can’t get started. I can’t speak for any mower though.

For my yard. I'd never consider going with a gas trimmer after the success of my Ryobi. I'd LOVE to find a battery option to mow once my JS25 dies. It's only 10 years old and starts on the first pull every time. So battery tech appears to have awhile before I'm in need

Not having to keep 91 (no ethanol) and oil on hand would be sweet

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Sounds like warranty time to me. I have Echo's rechargeable system, not EGO, but my battery stopped charging and I got the claim in a month before its five-year warranty expired. Saved a couple hundred dollars.
Not sure what tektronix is, but they must make the cheapest lithium batteries on the planet if they only last 2 years.

All of our yardwork stuff is EGO and we've had it probably about the same length of time: all of our batteries have been fine except the 7.5ah one that came with the lawn mower - you can tell that one's diminishing in capacity.. it was also refurbished so I didn't expect too much out of it

You might want to look into if your warranty is still valid and opening a claim
I thought the warranty was only one year. Does the battery have a separate warranty?

Honestly, I've probably charged it a max of 20-25 times, assuming twice per month since I've had it. And I have a little charging area setup in the basement so it's usually stored indoors, hasn't been exposed to harsh conditions.

I'll look into that battery warranty, though. Thanks, Fanatics!

Reactions: DBQR4CY

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Just got a EGO mower, trimmer and leaf blower delivered yesterday. Haven't had time to test them out yet. I'll make sure to register them for the warranty though!

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Year two and still running strong on all fronts.

Have the mower, blower, trimmer and snow blower.

I'm never going back to gas or an extension chord.
Even though I have a small yard, I actually have two EGO mowers. The area between my front and back yards is very rocky and I wanted to put in a sidewalk. The Mrs. said why don't you just get another mower, cheaper than concrete. So for the second mower I got one refurbished without the battery for really cheap and they share a battery. Also have trimmer, blower and hedge trimmer. So I hope they don't pi** me off cuz I'd have a whole fleet to replace!

• Funny
Reactions: helechopper

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I had an issue with my Ryobi trimmer batter back in 2015. Home Depot wouldn't do anything for me like they should have so Ryobi sent me two new ones. Haven't had an issue since.

Im on my third Ryobi 40V battery, all replaced under warranty. The first two crapped out in less than a year for each. The third battery has been going for the last 3 or so seasons just fine. I know they switched their battery or charger design at some point because I had to get a new charger with battery on one of the replacements.

Reactions: FLASH

DBQR4CY

Jun 7, 2013
Ankeny(By way of Dubuque)
I bought the E-Go single stage snowblower this winter and it came with 2-7.5ah batteries. Worked great and the batteries are stored indoors. I plan on getting the leaf blower and the inverter for sure. Then maybe the 16" chainsaw but not sure about that one. I'd get the weed eater or multi t-tool but my black and decker battery weed eater is still going strong a few years in. Our yard is nearly a half acre no problem doing the whole yard at least once on a single charge. E-Go's parent company is Chevron. That's a pretty big company. I keep seeing their Zero Turn rider which would be awesome but it's $5000 and looks like you need to wire in a charging station for it. Maybe some day when the hand-me-down rider gives way I'll consider it. Ditching gas and mixing fuel is a big time saver plus less worry about the engines just sitting there over winter (even with fuel additive).