EDIT: Greg Gaines Is A Cyclone!

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Or they drop passes thrown to them and miss blocks. The receivers that have not played haven’t because they basically haven’t performed. We use our tight ends heavily since they are more dependable than the WRs outside of X.

Fair point but i think looking at how we recruit, our staff wants to play this way. Cmc has always built this team with a big ten mindset and Manning brought back tons of pro style heavy spread stuff that loves tight ends with him from Indy. I'm not complaining about it, it just seems it's by design to me.

• Agree
Reactions: BCClone

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
The one thing that seems true with CMC & Staff is they put their most talented players on the field and use formations to leverage those players abilities.

The last 3 seasons the Clones have had 3 very good TE's/HB's. First it was Schoener, Allen & Kolar. Last year it was Rus, Allen & Kolar. So it seems like we have played few 3 WR snaps.

Beside their talent, IMO ISU played a lot of 2 TE/HB sets to strengthen our run game blocking. Was that a matter of letting Hall shine the brightest or offset weaknesses in our OL?

So in 2022 how much 3 WR set we run depends on how well our starting TE blocks and if the coaches expand Rus' role beyond blocker supreme. Seems to me few teams play FB's a lot and defenses aren't designed to defend in pass game.