Eagles appear to be targeting Lincoln Riley

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Riley seems to me to be the best NFL fit. He's not into the 'family' stuff like Matt Campbell, who I doubt would work well with the NFL's mindset. He's just too gung-ho for that. Reminds me of Lou Holtz in that way.

Riley, on the other hand, is much more the technician than the father figure. And Riley has had far more success than Campbell, if this thread is about in some way comparing the two for that platform.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Riley seems to me to be the best NFL fit. He's not into the 'family' stuff like Matt Campbell, who I doubt would work well with the NFL's mindset. He's just too gung-ho for that. Reminds me of Lou Holtz in that way.

Riley, on the other hand, is much more the technician than the father figure. And Riley has had far more success than Campbell, if this thread is about in some way comparing the two for that platform.

Depends on what you are hiring for...Campbell has built something...Riley (who I believe is a very very good coach) was handed something! Big difference when comparing "success"!

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
College HC jobs are far better. You win 8,9,10 games a year... go to bowls... Get paid great... and everyone loves you.

The NFL is "what have you done for me lately"... ask Doug Pederson. He wins a Superbowl and 3 years later he's unemployed.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
College HC jobs are far better. You win 8,9,10 games a year... go to bowls... Get paid great... and everyone loves you.

The NFL is "what have you done for me lately"... ask Doug Pederson. He wins a Superbowl and 3 years later he's unemployed.
I agree with you as long as the coach enjoys dealing with recruiting, boosters, academics, 18-year olds, the NCAA, CFP, and all that goes with the college game. Some do not. Guys like Saban, Ferentz, and I believe Matt Campbell clearly do.

Reactions: CySmurf

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
You also have to deal with egos and a salary cap in the NFL. Both have their downsides, but if I was established in college and making tons of money, I personally would stay in college. The pay difference is not as big as it used to be and the pressure/turnover in the NFL is crazy.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You also have to deal with egos and a salary cap in the NFL. Both have their downsides, but if I was established in college and making tons of money, I personally would stay in college. The pay difference is not as big as it used to be and the pressure/turnover in the NFL is crazy.
I would go NFL personally. Recruiting can be a grind.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
College coaches can last a long time. NFL coaches 10 years or less, on average

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
And egos are all about selection. Coaches control that in the draft just as they do in college when recruiting. It's something I admire about Saban. He seems to have fine youngsters in his program.

GMs generally have a much bigger say than coaches. They will get the coach's input, but GMs have to work the salary cap.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Yeah he isn't leaving. He's putting roots down in Norman. Building a brand new massive house, has a loaded team coming back with young talent, and he turned down Dallas last year. He's not going to Philly.

Reactions: DarkStar and 20eyes

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
The pro players are less teachable and their egos need to be managed. Plus, a number of them make more $ than the coach.... thus some of them don't even respect the coach.

Really instead of calling it a NFL coach, it should be called a NFL manager. The lack of job security is the biggest difference between college and pros.

Reactions: cyputz

20eyes

May 15, 2020
Riley does seem like a pro guy to me. But Grinch has OU's defense in good shape so they've got to be feeling like a playoff team for next year.

Firing a coach three years after a SB isn't a great look and perpetuates the stereotype of the Philly fans with zero patience which presumably would give a lot of pro guys pause. Maybe they think they can get a college guy to jump...

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
With the draft you have a pretty good idea where you stand with the first couple picks (with pretty solid backups).
In recruiting you could have some solid top selection verbal to you, than a T or OU sweep in and take them with little effort - that sucks