DSM Bucs finally get an upgrade

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
How do the Bucs do compared to other teams like the blackhawks and rough riders in terms of attendance, fan experience, etc?

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
How do the Bucs do compared to other teams like the blackhawks and rough riders in terms of attendance, fan experience, etc?

Fan experience is great. Honestly, one of the best sporting events to attend in Central Iowa. $1 beer nights definitely help with the 20-30 year olds. My wife and I loved going to games there.

This is a much needed development. I played youth hockey at Bucs Arena in the late 80s/early 90s and it had a lot of deferred maintenance even that far back. I'm curious what they are going to build in place of the old Arena? They still have that vacant K-Mart taking up a lot of space just to the west.

It's going to be interesting what happens to JT's Slap Shot. They are a small hockey shop located in the Sherwood Forest strip mall across the street from the Arena. They get a lot of foot traffic from the arena so I'm wondering if they will relocate to Merle Hay as well?

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I thought they were rumored to be having an arena off of Grand in WDSM by the DMACC campus. Or am I making **** up?

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I thought they were rumored to be having an arena off of Grand in WDSM by the DMACC campus. Or am I making **** up?
there's been a lot of talk/rumors over the last few years by the ownership about a new arena most of the time it came down to $$ issues maybe the current building is worse off then first thought from the storm damage.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
they are pretty comparable in attendance usually around the 2,000 mark. it hasn't been as crazy the last few years though I will admit that.

derpyherky

May 11, 2018
I'm assuming this mostly due to the damage that the current facility sustain during the derecho. The whole roof was taken off, then factor in all the water damage, mold, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: motorcy90

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Wondering if the Metro facility will be toast soon. Last I heard they needed new infrastructure as well. Maybe AC units or something.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
I'm assuming this mostly due to the damage that the current facility sustain during the derecho. The whole roof was taken off, then factor in all the water damage, mold, etc.
Yes - from the DM Register article basically said the further they got into the building the more issues there were.

For the Buccaneers, the move is a chance to create a new fan experience, with upgraded public address systems, lighting and seating options, including club level and on-ice suites, in a new facility that will also better suit the players, said team president Nate Teut.

Those upgrades were not feasible or financially possible in the aging Buccaneer Arena, which opened 60 years ago at 7200 Hickman Road in Urbandale, particularly after its roof suffered major damage in this August's derecho.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...m-moving-new-arena-merle-hay-mall/3766286001/

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
that is what I am wondering as well. if the building received more damage then originally stated. it was already kind of limping along to begin with before hand.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

No, they are building some indoor rinks out there along with indoor and I believe outdoor soccer.

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Fan experience is great. Honestly, one of the best sporting events to attend in Central Iowa. $1 beer nights definitely help with the 20-30 year olds. My wife and I loved going to games there.

This is a much needed development. I played youth hockey at Bucs Arena in the late 80s/early 90s and it had a lot of deferred maintenance even that far back. I'm curious what they are going to build in place of the old Arena? They still have that vacant K-Mart taking up a lot of space just to the west.

It's going to be interesting what happens to JT's Slap Shot. They are a small hockey shop located in the Sherwood Forest strip mall across the street from the Arena. They get a lot of foot traffic from the arena so I'm wondering if they will relocate to Merle Hay as well?
The vacant Kmart has gone through a significant renovation. It looks amazing given what it was. I haven't heard if there are any tenants yet.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone06

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
The vacant Kmart has gone through a significant renovation. It looks amazing given what it was. I haven't heard if there are any tenants yet.

I just drove by there the other day and couldn't believe what they had done to that building. Hopefully it works out because that whole areas is dying,

Reactions: ianoconnor

StormnClone58

Jan 24, 2008
West Des Moines
Wondering if the Metro facility will be toast soon. Last I heard they needed new infrastructure as well. Maybe AC units or something.

Metro has its own problems but thats a whole different story.

This is great news for the Des Moines community. I hope they are able to salvage Buccaneer Arena, and keep the sheet of ice for the youth and adult leagues.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron