Drink Local not AB/InBev/SAB MIller/Coors for the Holidays

Miniclone11

Oct 28, 2015
Make sure those breweries that are local bought their hops local, tho. And they better not have hired any of those Belgian Brewers, neither.

Also, if you could make sure those cans and bottles were made in house, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks guys/gals.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Also can anyone in the Des Moines Area point me towards a list of seasonal specialty releases for the local breweries?... Wondering if Exile, or Confluence is doing any barrel aged beers or sours, etc.

Cheers!

Exile's sours are pretty damn good. I've had Beatnik, but none of the fruity variations. But I hear good things about those too :yes:

Not sure of any Iowa breweries with readily available barrel aged stuff. Would be interested in that as well :yes:

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
Exile's sours are pretty damn good. I've had Beatnik, but none of the fruity variations. But I hear good things about those too :yes:

Not sure of any Iowa breweries with readily available barrel aged stuff. Would be interested in that as well :yes:

Do you know if Exile is barrel souring or kettle souring? Blvd has been doing a mix recently, with mixed results. Have you tried any Crooked Stave? Damn $$ but also Damn good. Seems like none of TG barrel aged or specialty ever gets out NE Iowa.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
Make sure those breweries that are local bought their hops local, tho. And they better not have hired any of those Belgian Brewers, neither.

Also, if you could make sure those cans and bottles were made in house, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks guys/gals.

Whoa, lost me there bro! Maybe I should come back and re-read after a few crafts?

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
Do you know if Exile is barrel souring or kettle souring? Blvd has been doing a mix recently, with mixed results. Have you tried any Crooked Stave? Damn $$ but also Damn good. Seems like none of TG barrel aged or specialty ever gets out NE Iowa.
Exile's are not barrel-aged sours.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO

Thanks guys/gals.

whoa whoa whoa, that kind of snark is just not tolerated on message boards.... read the rules....

besides only hand made ceramic growlers are the acceptable form of transport for your locally grown/harvested/brewed beer.

:jimlad:

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Nope, just Schlafly

Honestly, my favorite brewery in St. Louis is Urban Chestnut. If anyone ever visits the area, check out the original location, and have a Zwickel. The outdoor area is especially nice during the Spring and Fall.

Miniclone11

Oct 28, 2015
whoa whoa whoa, that kind of snark is just not tolerated on message boards.... read the rules....

besides only hand made ceramic growlers are the acceptable form of transport for your locally grown/harvested/brewed beer.

:jimlad:

you act like I just go down to the brewery wearing a shirt made in China. ****, I stopped drinking new Belgium cuz I figured out they send their employees to Belgium after 5 years!! You believe that ****? Heard those guys even took some their beers with them on the trip. Terrorists, most likely.

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Whether that's TG, Confluence, 515, Exile, Boulevard (Duval is not nearly as evil as AB/InBev/Miller/Heineken), New Glarus, Surly, Summit, Bell's, Odel....

You know that Duval literally translates to "devil" in Flemish, right? As far as evil goes, that's right up there.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
You know that Duval literally translates to "devil" in Flemish, right? As far as evil goes, that's right up there.

Nobody should know what anything translates to in Flemish besides waffle, Smurf, and Jean-Claude Van Damme.

KcClone01

Aug 18, 2008
KC, MO
Completely agree. And I am aware you are referring to me, maybe I am failing at trying not to be a snob about it.
As always drink what you like, who cares what other people think, but you should know where your $$ goes, hence the links in the OP.

ughhhh beer snobs are the absolute worst

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

Agreed on the TG thing. I don't know about the souring, but @ianoconnor says kettle, which is kinda disappointing.

I've only ever had Hop Savant by Crooked Stave. Kinda a sour IPA/APA. It was interesting, and pretty good, really. :yes:

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Drink only craft for about 3 months and then drink a bud, coors light, etc. and you'll wonder why you drank crap for so long. I never really understood why people who choose good beer are called snobs. Are you a snob because you would rather eat a pizza from Fongs than Little Ceasers, if you'd rather drive a Honda than a Yugo, would rather drink a good wine instead of Mad Dog, buy a Maglite instead of a generic from Wal-Mart, etc.?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Drink only craft for about 3 months and then drink a bud, coors light, etc. and you'll wonder why you drank crap for so long. I never really understood why people who choose good beer are called snobs. Are you a snob because you would rather eat a pizza from Fongs than Little Ceasers, if you'd rather drive a Honda than a Yugo, would rather drink a good wine instead of Mad Dog, buy a Maglite instead of a generic from Wal-Mart, etc.?

A snob isn't what you want to do with your choices on personal preference. A snob is looking down/critiquing others for their choices on personal preference.

(I personally would choose many of your preferences, however I won't look down on others who wouldn't.)

chicagoCy

Mar 25, 2006
A snob isn't what you want to do with your choices on personal preference. A snob is looking down/critiquing others for their choices on personal preference.

(I personally would choose many of your preferences, however I won't look down on others who wouldn't.)

This above is what it's all about. I try to be a beer nerd, not a beer turd.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA

Well I'm a Little Caesar's eating, Honda driving, Boone's Farm drinking, Maglite flashing, Busch Light lover