Drill Oil NOW

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
MrsBrianHos has not used plastic bags in a long time. Once you get used to those reusable bags, it is pretty nice. Plus hyvee gives you 5 cents for each bag you bring in each time. So they pay for themselves in only a few months.

What bags does she use? Alot of the ones I see around are too small.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Funny, I remember when people wanted us to stop using paper bags to save trees.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
I think it's funny that a lot of people are pro foreign oil. I don't understand why nobody cares about the enviroment in Iraq, kuwait, and other mideast country's. Just the enviroment in the U.S.

Why do you want to take a chance with Venezuala, Nicuragua, and other 3rd world countries drilling off our shores and you don't want the U.S drilling off our shores. It seems to me that we would be able to do it better and safer than the 3rd world countries who put little restriction on the drilling and don't care about an oil spill that will end up polluting our country more than there country.

It makes no sense to me. They are all basically laughing at us right now.

By

That's a great point. An oil field in another country can be in an environmentally sensitive area too. Being extra careful while we drain our environmentally sensitive areas won't necessarily stop other countries from hammering their oil fields, though.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA

Most stores sell bags in or near the checkout lanes now. I wish they didn't have the stores' logos, though. I can't bring myself to use Fareway bags at Hy-Vee or vice versa.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Funny, I remember when people wanted us to stop using paper bags to save trees.

I think it was mainly because plastic bags were cheaper for stores. :p

I've seen those reusable bags at hy-vee. I wouldn't mind using them, but those grocery sacks are so useful around the house.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

I've seen those reusable bags at hy-vee. I wouldn't mind using them, but those grocery sacks are so useful around the house.

This is true. We re-use the heck out of those things.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have a bit of a theory.

I think the 'powers that be' might be holding back drilling here until the rest of the world has tapped themselves out. At that point, we will tap into what we have domestically, and the rest of the world will basically be at our whim. At least that is my optimistic view.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006

I think the 'powers that be' might be holding back drilling here until the rest of the world has tapped themselves out. At that point, we will tap into what we have domestically, and the rest of the world will basically be at our whim. At least that is my optimistic view.

Possible, but I think we have some time to see that reality. And by the time they run out, they will have already moved onto something else and we will be in the stone age in that regard.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006

While this might not be exactly what is happening, there is no doubt a master strategy and what we are seeing right now is all part of that plan.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston

Sounds like a plan hatched by Pinky and the Brain....

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

I don't think the leaders we have in this country are nearly that smart, you are giving them way too much credit.

mrsbrianhos

Mar 2, 2007
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

I have quite a few. HyVee sells them for like $1 maybe it's $1.50, I don't know. They are pretty big bags, actually. They are blue and say "this bag is green"

Ok, I just went and measured one.

14" L
7" W
16" H

They hold quite a bit. I can usually get a whole shopping trip (read nearly full cart) in 4 of the reusable bags. It would probably be atleast 10 plastic bags. Makes it easier to unload your car too.

They do give you a 5 cent credit per bag at HyVee, each time you shop....not that I really care about that. I just like to do my little part for the environment and I like that they hold a lot of stuff.

Lots of stores are starting to sell them. I've seen them at Fareway and Target too.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006

Haha. Yes, there is some truth to this. As a former Hy-Vee employee back in the day, the numbers I was told were 5 cents per bag for paper and 2 cents per bagfor plastic. When you think of how many bags go out the door of one of those stores per day, that will add up to real money quick.

I believe the stop using paper to save trees thing may have been an environmental argument to pad the bottom line much more than one to save the planet. Actually, when you think about it, I'm not sure why biodegradable paper bags made from a renewable resource would be less environmentally friendly than paper.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think the leaders we have in this country are nearly that smart, you are giving them way too much credit.

True.

At this point, I would like to announce my candidacy for the President of the United State, running on the Cycloneatarian ticket!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO

And then what when we run out of our domestic supplies? We point at everyone, laugh and say "well at least we were the last ones to have oil!" right before we go back to riding bikes?

As a country that supposedly prides itself on being a world "helper", I'd be a little disappointed if that was our plan - to use up other's oil just to have everyone under our thumb.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
And then what when we run out of our domestic supplies? We point at everyone, laugh and say "well at least we were the last ones to have oil!" right before we go back to riding bikes?

Well, in theory, we would make so much money that developing alternatives would be easy. After we run out, we would be able to sell those alternatives to other countries as well.

Something everyone should keep in mind here is that Diesel fuel is renewable, it doesn't have to be made from crude. and, unlike ethanol, it can be produced in ways that are feasible from both a supply standpoint and from obtaining a net energy gain.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
As a country that supposedly prides itself on being a world "helper", I'd be a little disappointed if that was our plan - to use up other's oil just to have everyone under our thumb.

Don't kid yourself, why do you think we were supposedly so concerned with genocide in northern Iraq, vs what is happening in Darfur?