Drake's near future ponderings

ketchupnmustard

Oct 28, 2006
So now that Drake is the current hot "mid-major" basketball team, do you think that Keno Davis will leave Drake to chase the money. Surely a bigger school will come and offer Keno a big bag o' money. Does he take it? Or will Drake (if they can) give him a raise/extension to keep him around?
Something to think about.

trevn

LIV Tour DJ
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
So now that Drake is the current hot "mid-major" basketball team, do you think that Keno Davis will leave Drake to chase the money. Surely a bigger school will come and offer Keno a big bag o' money. Does he take it? Or will Drake (if they can) give him a raise/extension to keep him around?
Something to think about.

I think Keno stays at Drake for at least the next couple of years. I don't know how many big offers he'll get with 1 year of D-1 head coaching experience.

I love what Drake is doing, but the way they are winning will end up catching up with them in the end. They'll lose a game they shouldn't, either in the MVC Tournament or the NCAA/NIT Tournament because of cold shooting.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
He wont get to many offers, many will look at this team and say his dad set him up for this run. Keno is a good coach but he will have to have 3 or 4 years of winning before he moves on.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I'd say if they're this good the next 2 years, he'll get big-time offers and move on.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I know the Drake staff is really excited about the recruiting class they have coming in and think it is better then Josh Youn's class. I imagine he will stay around another two years and then a big offer will come in that he can't turn down. I am sure he will get some low BCS looks this year but I think he really likes things at Drake and will try to ride Josh Young as long as he can.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Keno will be the coach to replace Todd Lickharder at the University of Iowa....Keno will then lead the squawkeyes to their first conference championship in a coonsage and the team will eventually be in the final 4!!!!

The future looks bright for Keno Davis!!!!

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
Keno will be the coach to replace Todd Lickharder at the University of Iowa....Keno will then lead the squawkeyes to their first conference championship in a coonsage and the team will eventually be in the final 4!!!!

The future looks bright for Keno Davis!!!!

My guess is the way his dad was sent packing, Keno will not end up at Iowa.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Why would he go to Iowa? If he continues to win at Drake, he'll get far better offers. UI is not a prime basketball job.

c.y.c.l.o.n.e.s

Feb 21, 2007
I personally think that the Drake house of cards is going to fall.

This was a perfect setup for Drake.

Iowa, down year.
ISU, down year.
UNI, down year.
Mo Valley, way down compared to where they have been the last few years.

So far, they have yet to beat a team that is likely NCAA tourney bound. And they have barely beaten alot of these teams. Ill. State at RPI #45 is their best win. Creighton and SIU at RPI #55 and #58 are OK wins but nothing special. They only top 40 team they have played is St. Mary's RPI #15 and they lost to them.

I guess the old saying goes that you can only beat the teams on your schedule and more power to them for winning them.

My bet is that they end up losing a few of these close games down the stretch and their RPI will plummet based on strength of opponents.

JJ4ISU

Apr 11, 2006
WDM Side of Waukee
At this point, I think Drake will struggle to win games at Illinois State, Southern Illinois and UNI. Plus, the home game against Bradley could be sneaky tough. Even if they lose three and go 15-3, they'll still win the conference championship.

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think it is very possible that they could win out, especially with Young getting healthier and healthier every day and Korver finally finding his stroke... At Southern is always tough but I think Illinois State is fading. UNI should always be their toughest matchup due to their inside presence...

mike4cy

Aug 4, 2006
Urbandale
If it is up to Andy Fales then he will be sticking around...And every person in Des Moines will wear blue every day.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
I think Keno stays at Drake for at least the next couple of years. I don't know how many big offers he'll get with 1 year of D-1 head coaching experience.

I love what Drake is doing, but the way they are winning will end up catching up with them in the end. They'll lose a game they shouldn't, either in the MVC Tournament or the NCAA/NIT Tournament because of cold shooting.

Shooting isn't the reason they're winning so much. The real reason is defense and rebounding.

Just look at the toughest conference games. Illinois State, Indiana State, Creighton and Southern Illinois. They haven't shot better than 33% from 3-point range in any of those games.

Help Support Us

Become a patron