Doyle cost Epenesa millions

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Who's to blame? Ferentz? Doyle?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-week-6-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-notes

WHERE’S THE DOMINANCE FROM EPENESA?
It was supposed to be a two-horse race at the edge position heading into this season, but after six weeks, there’s no more debate. Ohio State’s Chase Young is having an all-time start to his season while Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa is mired in mediocrity adjusting to his full-time role. While Young puts up single-game pass-rushing grades of 90.0-plus week in and week out, Epenesa has yet to even crack 80.0 in any of Iowa’s five games this season. While the Iowa defense doesn’t allow as much freedom as Ohio State’s to attack, a player with Epenesa’s physical tools should be dominating regardless. He had a higher pass-rushing grade as a true freshman (78.8) than he does currently (76.8). The season is still young, but Epenesa needs to show us that dominance again soon.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
He has never had to start a game, set the edge against the run or play this many plays. Before they brought him in to rush the passer, now he actually has to play the whole position, not just getting sackings.
They also are not moving him around at all, they should be flipping over the right side, every now and then in pass situations.
Iowa coaches just have a horrible time thinking out of the box, and that is one of the main reasons they end up 8-4, 7-5 almost every year.

TBT

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 27, 2014
WDM, IA
Any predictions for the PSU game? I think iowa gets rolled in flower in this one.

Said this in the 247 Degenerates thread:

Lastly, #10 Penn State at #17 Iowa - (-3 for PSU per WH [O/U 41.5] - PSU covers and taking the OVER. I think PSU's offense is THAT good. Maryland was trash but that's still a great effort to put that many points over a P5 team. I just think PSU is more talented, and Michigan gave the rest of the Big 10 a blueprint on how to effectively beat Iowa this season. I expect Iowa to put up a few TD's as well, but I think PSU beats them by 10+, Kinnick night game be damned.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Who's to blame? Ferentz? Doyle?

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-college-football-week-6-2020-nfl-draft-scouting-notes

WHERE’S THE DOMINANCE FROM EPENESA?
It was supposed to be a two-horse race at the edge position heading into this season, but after six weeks, there’s no more debate. Ohio State’s Chase Young is having an all-time start to his season while Iowa’s A.J. Epenesa is mired in mediocrity adjusting to his full-time role. While Young puts up single-game pass-rushing grades of 90.0-plus week in and week out, Epenesa has yet to even crack 80.0 in any of Iowa’s five games this season. While the Iowa defense doesn’t allow as much freedom as Ohio State’s to attack, a player with Epenesa’s physical tools should be dominating regardless. He had a higher pass-rushing grade as a true freshman (78.8) than he does currently (76.8). The season is still young, but Epenesa needs to show us that dominance again soon.

Damn man, not another bat signal to that nut on HR.

• Agree
Reactions: cyowan

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Said this in the 247 Degenerates thread:

Lastly, #10 Penn State at #17 Iowa - (-3 for PSU per WH [O/U 41.5] - PSU covers and taking the OVER. I think PSU's offense is THAT good. Maryland was trash but that's still a great effort to put that many points over a P5 team. I just think PSU is more talented, and Michigan gave the rest of the Big 10 a blueprint on how to effectively beat Iowa this season. I expect Iowa to put up a few TD's as well, but I think PSU beats them by 10+, Kinnick night game be damned.
This is the type of game that captain Kirk seems to pull out. Then, after doing that and getting Hawk fans to once again puff out their chest.....bring them back down to earth losing games they should win. That just seems to be how it rolls over there.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
This is the type of game that captain Kirk seems to pull out. Then, after doing that and getting Hawk fans to once again puff out their chest.....bring them back down to earth losing games they should win. That just seems to be how it rolls over there.

I don't know. When Iowa's won these games before the had stars on both sides of the ball. I'm not sure Iowa has a star right now on either side of the ball besides maybe Wirfs

• Funny
Reactions: Patrick Riley

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Yep, I thought they would take Michigan honestly. Kirk definitely places more emphasis on certain games. Home games are generally given weight especially if a good team at home. Iowa people still think Michigan is some daunting place, Michigan has been the Michigan of lore since Bo left. But with them still thinking that Kirk is allowed to place extra time on PSU and take chances with a Michigan. I think Iowa has extra prep time on this one and squeaks it out.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Hoks on HR have a whole thread claiming Epenesa gets double teamed all the time as the reason for his poor season. Seriously, who is dumb enough to believe that? He must be double teamed all freaking game then, since he doesn't produce at all.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Hoks on HR have a whole thread claiming Epenesa gets double teamed all the time as the reason for his poor season. Seriously, who is dumb enough to believe that? He must be double teamed all freaking game then, since he doesn't produce at all.

The percentages of how often he gets doubled are out there and it's really low. I want to say on Twitter it was under 10% of the snaps

We ask know JGJ has been very inconsistent in his career and he worked him one on one all game

• Agree
Reactions: GTO