Dowling and Valley recruiting players From all over

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Sorry if already answered....

But do these students get hosted at a family that goes the school? As great as a college scholly is, etc....that's be a lot for a family to uproot just for that.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have never been around a more vulgar coaching staff than Dowling's. I did chains for a sophomore game and those coaches were total a-holes. I don't know how many times we had to tell them to get back so we could move the chains and they would look at you like "what did you just tell me to do?". Finally ref told them to shut up or they would get ejected. My boy was playing and I was playing the role of non partisan chain crew. I was seething the whole game at the Dowling staff.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I have never been around a more vulgar coaching staff than Dowling's. I did chains for a sophomore game and those coaches were total a-holes. I don't know how many times we had to tell them to get back so we could move the chains and they would look at you like "what did you just tell me to do?". Finally ref told them to shut up or they would get ejected. My boy was playing and I was playing the role of non partisan chain crew. I was seething the whole game at the Dowling staff.

I will say the nastiest coaches I came across were catholic school coaches. Seems like they feel every other word needs to be a curse or they aren’t doing it right.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
To each their own, but private schools are way too narrow minded and like minded IMO, so I sent my children to public school. Plus I'm not religious, so there's that... but that also explains why I don't like narrow mindedness.

I wanted my kids to be exposed to kids of all races, religions (or non religious), cultures, abilities or disabilities, income levels, etc..... you know..... like consists in the real world for example.

I kind of look at private schools like I do of fraternities and sororities in college. Why only surround yourself with people like you? It is definitely elitist, but that's religion in a nutshell.

But hey... that's just me.... do whatever suits you.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Right. Someone should just beat Dowling in football if they don’t like them winning every year.
It's almost like we should separate academics and athletics along with religion and politics like the rest of the first world. Granted, selfishly, I never want to see Iowa State lose athletics.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... But they could easily force all private schools up a class. Now that would do nothing to the 4A schools but it would greatly help the smaller public schools that are now being forced to compete with private religious school.

Are you saying the 1A and 2A private schools recruit too?

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
Are you saying the 1A and 2A private schools recruit too?
I'm against this because sometime
I doubt if the state of Iowa has enough private schools to actually run a public and private school athletic tournament for each. But they could easily force all private schools up a class. Now that would do nothing to the 4A schools but it would greatly help the smaller public schools that are now being forced to compete with private religious school.
Going against some of my other thoughts, this is tough, a good example is the 2009 St Albert's team. They had 4 eventual D1 players (2 FBS and 2 FCS) 3 of whom I know went there from kindergarten on.

Most notably Jake Waters

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
how is reporting what’s going on “worked up”. It’s called a discussion.

Don't play dumb, you are clearly bothered by the situation by the tone in your posts. It's high school sports, it'll all be ok in the end. If you think Dowling/private schools are the only schools "recruiting" then you are delusional. Don't get all upset they are just better at it. Kids (and their parents) want to be a part of success and have a better chance at playing at the next level. You should be just as upset with them as you are at the Catholic schools.

The post below is the best post in the thread

Every school district that permits open enrollment is permitting recruiting.

Why people get bent about Catholic schools and not about the disparity between DM North and WDM Valley I'll never know. If you want something to be concerned about, make it that. Not the fact that a private school has to recruit 100% of their students 100% of the time.

There's this huge gulf between the city schools and suburbs but OH SH!T, one of those suburban schools is Catholic...get 'em!

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Lots of Dowling and Catholic School haters on here too LOL. Salty AF ahahaha

Feeling entitled/privileged or what? Sorry I lived in a rural area that didn’t have a Catholic high school. Did I say I hated them? Thought I said the coaches were a bunch of a-holes.

Reactions: Macloney