Doug Gottlieb gives ISU fans some love

drum1306

Sep 17, 2007
I don't think Hilton is that impressive of a structure - reminds me of the music building. It's certainly not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I think there's a few pairs of rose colored glasses being passed around.:wink:

All in all though, it's good to hear another opinion on our fan base, especially from an alum of a Big 12 competitor.

cloneu

Jul 26, 2007
Urbandale
www.golfdsm.com
Majestic structure? Yes. Kept up on its maintenance like it should be? Not necessarily always. Could it use some improvements/upgrades? Absolutely. Is it a dump? I think the Phog is more of a dump than Hilton is, but not many people complain about it. When Hilton is put in the same conversation as Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Dean Dome, Assembly Hall (Illinois), Freedom Hall (Louisville), and Rupp Arena, as well as the Phog, I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with Hilton.

I have been to Freedom Hall a fair amount, not for a game though. It is nice but I would take Hilton over Freedom Hall as far as the arena is concerned. What is nice about Freedom Hall is that it is a massive complex with a lot more to offer for other things then Bball.

kgreeny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
(ok, for KU it is just the arena atmosphere, not the fans).

The Phog has great atmosphere, but the building sucks. It is in need of a refurb bad. If KU was not good, they would draw 11 people a game.

Seth

Mar 17, 2006
Columbia, SC
Yes, because we all know what a bastion of culture and enlightenment Stillwater is. Pot, meet kettle.

I graduated from Stillwater High School in '01 and I couldn't agree more. Honestly, I much preferred Ames for about 9 months a year. December/January/February in Ames weren't much to my liking, but Oklahoma summers are unbearable.

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Earlier in the interview he was ripping on OSU fans for not showing up last night and saying they used to consider themselves special but aren't proving it this year.

SuperCy said:
I really noticed that last night. It looked terrible. Everytime they went to a wide shot there were empy seats. Good seats. Not upper deck crap seats.

This is interesting to me. Last night on this very board, I was reading some fans saying that the atmosphere in Stillwater looked amazing. That it looked like it was "as loud as Hilton used to be."

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Another guy that likes Doug, both on the radio and for game broadcasts. I think he's much better on the radio though.

Clone_12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Put in the the Gottlieb fan crowd as well...he's a witty guy that knows what he is talkin about...sometimes he's goes a little far on some of his opinions, but you don't lead the nation in assists without having a pretty good basketball iq. He also doesn't try to be the show when doing color for a game (Rafftery, Vitale, G. Johnson, etc...).

Enginerd

Apr 11, 2006
I am very surprised Gottlieb uttered a positive word about ISU.

If all you know of Gottlieb is his national stuff then I can understand why you may like the guy. I admit he is knowledgeable but like others have stated in this thread, when he comes on the radio every week here in K.C. at best he is condescending towards ISU and at worst down right insulting. He also has some deep personal issues with Fizer.

As far as Hilton, we should be very proud of it and its reputation. As a structure it’s hard to tell its age compared to some of the shacks and tin sheds in the Big 12 and across the nation. I love the concrete. It holds the noise so much better. Put some luxury boxes in it and call it good. I fear any new arena in the future just wouldn’t be the same.

Word around here is that people miss the old OSU arena and they regret adding as many seats as they did.

Arkansas Cyclone

Nov 25, 2006
Bentonville, Arkansas
Majestic structure? Yes. Kept up on its maintenance like it should be? Not necessarily always. Could it use some improvements/upgrades? Absolutely. Is it a dump? I think the Phog is more of a dump than Hilton is, but not many people complain about it. When Hilton is put in the same conversation as Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Dean Dome, Assembly Hall (Illinois), Freedom Hall (Louisville), and Rupp Arena, as well as the Phog, I don't think there's a whole lot wrong with Hilton.

I can't comment much as I have only seen one other facility (Nebraska) and it was definitely a dump.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron