Doing more with less

bellzisu

Apr 15, 2006
Norwalk
Iowa has done a good job of figuring out how to win games with not a ton of talent, but they do have several good guards that can occationally string together several outside shots, something that ISU has really lacked. Iowa also has found a way to defend way beyond their talent level. The real question with Iowa is can they keep playing great defense after the rest of the Big 10 has played them a couple times and figures out what they are doing.

Their defense is shinning tonight and their guards are lighting it up. Northwestern 17 Iowa 15 at half. Hope those guards start hitting.:wideeyed:

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Lickliter is really getting a lot out of his boys tonight against a tough Northwestern team. Down 17-15 at halftime. Yes, I know we had 11 against Nebraska in the 1st half. We also had 49 in the 2nd. Somehow what Lickliter is doing is worth applauding but we need to rip on McDermott. Interesting.........

FWIW, Iowa had 40 points and 2 turnovers in the 2nd half against NU.

I don't even care at this point. Down 14 to the Wildcats and then finish the game on a 36-15 run is going to have to do.

36 points in 9 minutes of play. I think I have an ulcer.

cyclonefan101

Feb 19, 2008
Its just to bad Smith had to leave, if he didnt transfer imagine how Lickliter would be doing now. I would think he would be up for coach of the year in the Big 10.

Ficklone02

Apr 11, 2006
City by the Bay
FWIW, Iowa had 40 points and 2 turnovers in the 2nd half against NU.

I don't even care at this point. Down 14 to the Wildcats and then finish the game on a 36-15 run is going to have to do.

36 points in 9 minutes of play. I think I have an ulcer.
I've seen this everywhere....what is FWIW supposed to mean?

cyclonenum1

Nov 30, 2006
Two things to remember...currently, the Big 10 is a very weak conference and the hawkeyes are 12-15. Bob Knight teams rarely had losing records. To compare the new hawk coach to Knight is ludicrous.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Give me a break. Iowa is very inconsistent this year. They beat a ranked team earlier in the season, but lost to some poor teams. They beat the WORST team in the big ten by only 2 points in Carver. Both Iowa and ISU play a style that can sometimes result in a close game against a good team, but also results in a close game against a bad team. It basicly comes down to the last 60 seconds for most games.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
It's amazing to hear all of the Lickliter love on this message board after an Iowa win when compared to all of the McD bashing after an Iowa State win.

Oldgeezer

Mar 18, 2006
Waukon, Iowa
TV showed a Iowa fan holding a 3 wk old baby at the game. Along with 2000 other fans. Only a Hawkeye Grad. is stupid enough to take a little baby out on a below zero-limited visibility/blowing snow night to watch Iowa duel Northwestern. Child endangerment!

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
The Big 10 is horrid this year people...just plain horrid. We even beat one of the best teams in that conference earlier this year. I don't think we'd beat them today, but we do have a win over that Purdue team.

I have no doubt in my mind, if ISU or about 90% of the teams in the major conferences played in the Big 10 - they'd have winning conference records.

bluehooper

Apr 10, 2006
It's amazing to hear all of the Lickliter love on this message board after an Iowa win when compared to all of the McD bashing after an Iowa State win.

It's ridiculous isn't it. Just proves that to some the grass is always greener elsewhere, including Iowa City I guess.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm sorry guys but I can't read your posts because my eyes are still bleeding from watching that Iowa game last night. I'm too lazy to look up the attendance but there were seriously probably 4000 people there at most. Now I know what our game against Nebraska probably looked like to those outside of the 2 teams' fan bases. I mean seriously, the score was 5-1 Northwestern at the under 12:00 timeout.

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
Iowa beat a NW team that hasn't won a Big 10 game in over a freaking year! They won by 2 points (and two NW missed 3 pointers in the last 10 seconds) at home and some people are acting like TL is the second coming of John Wooden. I think TL will be a good coach for them but in no way am I jealous.

Last edited:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
TV showed a Iowa fan holding a 3 wk old baby at the game. Along with 2000 other fans. Only a Hawkeye Grad. is stupid enough to take a little baby out on a below zero-limited visibility/blowing snow night to watch Iowa duel Northwestern. Child endangerment!

But it was probably the ideal environment to put a 3 wk old baby to sleep as it's much quieter at CHA that it would be in the child's nursery. Also, watching an Iowa game is probably at least 5 times as effective at putting someone to sleep than reading a quantum physics theory textbook, watching paint dry, popping Nytol...