Does ISU have a good Vet school?

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
I am guessing they might....I know that my daughter is only five, but she has seemed pretty intent the last year of wanting to be a vet....of course, that can change 100 times...but daddy wants to keep the little one close by...I was hoping for Drake, but Ames is just 30 minutes away.

Anyone take Vet courses at ISU?

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
I was under the impression its one of the best. Definitely heavy on the ag side of it all, I felt. But overall I enjoyed my courses.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Yes, you are correct. I was just trying to make a point with a quote from my friend, Joe Dirt (alternative pronunciation Joe Deertay).

I know, Im just a well-educated posterior.

SuperCy

Nov 30, 2006
Smallville/Metropolis
The few people I know that have had to go up there in emergency situations have had nothing but good things to say.

Besides, I'm guessing there's a good chance that the vet you go to went to ISU. I'd think that would reflect well.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I think it was one of the first vet schools founded in the whole country. It used to be considered the "best", but may no longer be. There was a problem with it's Accreditation a few years ago that sounded like a money and political issue to me. Still I'm sure it's one of the top 10 in the county to go to. I'm sure some Vet's can give us the scoop.

I've got some young kids too Jon and really don't care where they go as long they go to college. I'll admit if they chose Iowa, that will be a tough pill to swallow, but I suppose I won't mind if they become a lawyer or doctor.:smile:

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
They are currently on probation with their ABET accreditation, but that was because the facilities were run down, not because of the lack of quality program. They got a ****ton of money and are making a lot of nice additions to their already frankenstine-like building (if you've ever tried to do anything maintence there you'd know what I mean)

Translation: it's a good program that just got a shot in the arm to keep it that way

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
If she wants to be a vet someday, and wants to go to Iowa State, that would be fantastic. I could care less about that crap. School is school, and education is education.

And being near your daughter while she goes to school is a nice bonus

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Does Iowa City have a University? Does it have Sports Teams?

Same, fundamental question.

I dunno - you're treading on some dangerous grounds here. Does Iowa City have a community college? Certainly. A university? Not so sure about that one.

Asking if Iowa City has sports teams is probably akin to asking if a tree falls in the forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound? Does it make a noise?

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
If she wants to be a vet someday, and wants to go to Iowa State, that would be fantastic. I could care less about that crap. School is school, and education is education.

Thank the good lord that I followed this...otherwise I'd probably still root for the dark side.

jl112481

Jul 25, 2007
Franklin, WI
Does Iowa City have a University? Does it have Sports Teams?

Same, fundamental question.

Hmm... I would have answered "no" to both those questions, but I get where your going. :wink:

And yes ISU is one of the best Vet Med colleges in the country, think Harvard of Vet Med because it's very hard to get into.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006

And being near your daughter while she goes to school is a nice bonus

Kudos Jon for a good take on life....

But I am relishing the fact your daughter and son-in-law could be ISU grads .... imagine Thanksgiving dinner .... :biggrin:

-keep.

EDIT: it will be important to know what type of vet work she would want to do .... and then go to the best Midwest vet for that type. Mich. St has a really good program too. Family of mine have and do teach at KSU and MSU for Ag and Vet doctor programs. I won't go in to the side that teaches at at KU ....

Last edited:

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
If its anything like I was in elementary, it seemed like EVERYONE wanted to be a Vet, my bet it's a stage that passes.