Does HCMC need a OC to call plays?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
10 or 11 - Iowa and TCU and maybe WSU

We could have won those.

All teams have games they could have won. I don’t think it is fair to demand a coach hire an OC when the season was clearly one of our best ever.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneErik

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We could have won those.

All teams have games they could have won. I don’t think it is fair to demand a coach hire an OC when the season was clearly one of our best ever.

First I'm not demanding a OC hire.

Second you asked "is there anyone who doesn’t think we pretty much maxed out our results this year?" I don't think we maxed out. Maxing out would have been also beating Iowa and TCU which were both should wins when looking back on the season in my opinion.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
We could have won those.

So we're just good with 8-5 even though all we had to do was score 20 points two more times to be in a NY6 bowl?

• Winner
Reactions: bthebutcher

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
So, I've thought about that and yeah, a great OL would help a bunch and probably get us somewhere around the top 20 in S&P. But that doesn't do everything. Michigan is an example. They've got great WRs, and NFL RB, probably an NFL QB who is pretty comparable to Purdy in skillet and a decent OL but their offense wasn't that great. Scheme and playcalling matter a lot. It's why those guys make so much money.

There was a post earlier in this thread pointing out our offensive numbers in conference and with Purdy. We we up near the top in many categories - including yards, points and WINS. All without an OC and a really bad o-line.

Sure there could be tweaks, but what CMC and whomever else is involved is doing on offense is WORKING.

No OC in the world could have prohibited the 2 (1) targeting calls. And all the false starts - that we hadn't seen all season - are an outlier since ISU was near the top again in LACK of penalties per game.

We didn't win the national championship last year and it wasn't because we didn't have on OC.

And we just outgained (what some call) THE offensive guru by 200+ yards without an OC.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
It really looks like there are some people here that want a new coach.

I admit I think Iowa, TCU and WSU were lost opportunities. Would have been great to have. I will also say that I am satisfied with the season. I looked and saw we had one of the lowest plays per game averages in all of D1. That probably has a little more to do with less points and yards than a labeled OC. We run the clock down and shorten games. That will keep us in games and at times keep opponents in games. Let’s be happy that we are competitive with a good team coming back.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It really looks like there are some people here that want a new coach.

I admit I think Iowa, TCU and WSU were lost opportunities. Would have been great to have. I will also say that I am satisfied with the season. I looked and saw we had one of the lowest plays per game averages in all of D1. That probably has a little more to do with less points and yards than a labeled OC. We run the clock down and shorten games. That will keep us in games and at times keep opponents in games. Let’s be happy that we are competitive with a good team coming back.

This take is always so great. "This isn't quite as good as it probably could be"="Fire everyone"

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaaoff

The thing is, we get worse when you start adjusting for things. Here's the S&P+ Rankings. FEI, which is a little more bullish can also be found there. The only thing we are moderately good at is explosiveness. This is where concern can set in because I don't know that it's likely there's a Hakeem Butler on the team and he was was undoubtedly creating a significant portion of that explosiveness. We had a thousand yard rusher and didn't crack the top 100 in rushing. Now, about 80% is likely the offensive line and that will get better even probably to the extent that that improvement overcomes losing DM. Now, if it doesn't do that we are in a world of hurt because production from guys who I think are quality backs, drops off heavily when DM isn't carrying the ball.

So really, the stats don't back up the idea that we were a ball control team that couldn't be successful in big chunks. We actually relied on those big chunks which is what happens when your OL isn't very good (FO had us at 97th). The OL can help make huge strides, there's no doubt about that. There's a lot of room between where we are and good. This isn't about playcalling either, IMO. It's more about design and how dynamic our design has not been the past couple years. Maybe they think the OL doesn't allow that but it doesn't seem like we do anything to work around that.

• Winner
Reactions: MrPeske

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
This is how I feel now that I have read every post.

tenor.gif

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
That is definitely needed, I want to know who to trash when the offense is not to my standards.

I just want someone that's only job is to call plays on game day. Just seems like there was way too much feeling around at the beginning of the year. Even in some of the later games it seemed like there were very few variations on play calling. I realize we are dealing with a freshman QB and a really bad OL, but it still felt like there were a lot of skill players that spent entire games going in motion for no particular reason, or running pass routes without getting a single target. Maybe the offense is all that it is, but to me it seems like there is a lot of skill that never gets used.

• Winner
Reactions: bthebutcher

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
I guessing, but there is probably two guys upstairs deciding on plays depending if the call is a run or pass may dictate who calls play down. RUN OC and PASS OC. Campbell has authority to change play or dictate run or pass. I'm betting there is no play calls on sheet he has not personally okay ed. All plays are probably placed in down, distance, score, field position, time in game....etcetcetc. CMC will not bring a guy in and hand over control of offense unless he has strong ties to CMC already. We can name one of the current guys OC, but not sure that would change one play call made.

clonedlion

Feb 28, 2013
When discussing MC and whether or not to hire an OC, i bring everyone's attention to the TExas TEch game. So many runs on first down for nothing. How mad was everyone? Well, he did it to eat clock and limit Tech opportunities, especially knowing they had a fresh QB that made mistakes. Brilliant when it was all said and done. No doubt complete trust in him and the staff he has going in to next year, OC or not.

Newell

Aug 6, 2013
I started this thread after the Iowa game in which there was obvious reason to question what in the wide wide world of sports was going on the the offense.

It was also obvious the offense greatly improved during the season. The only other game which seemed to replicate Iowa was Texas and unfortunately that game was on the LHN and I wasn't able to see it. Whether it was a change in play calling or something else we don't - there was probably an adjustment with Manning leaving but Campbell and the staff figured it out.

It may have been a mistake to start this thread give what it has devolved into. Remember where Iowa State has been for the last several decades and where Iowa State is now. Both recruiting and results on the field are better than they have ever been.