Does Dekkers being a lefty affect how people may perceive his potential?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Lefties had it rough back in biblical times. I heard he has a chip on his shoulder over that.

I'm left handed and in modern times it's not always great.

Scissors, pencil holders, fishing reels.

There's been some progress with interchangeable parts, but yet, the struggle is real.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I would be beside myself if ISU had an Andy Dalton behind center. Just bad vibes,

I'd guess ISU would be pretty good if they had a future occasional NFL starter at the helm.

Dalton's not great by NFL standards but ISU's also never had anyone like that either. Sage I guess but he was more thrust into starting.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Wonder why he chose to be a lefty
If you work hard enough you can switch over. Hurt my right arm my junior year of HS. Trained myself to throw with my left just for something to do while my right was in a caste. Could snap it in for 30 yards in a couple weeks of work.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
I’ve always enjoyed watching lefty QB’s, and you’ve missed a few good ones, including but not necessarily limited to: Boomer Esiason, Michael Vick, Scott Mitchell (won me a fantasy league one year) and Bobby Douglas. BD rushed for nearly a thousand yards one year and later pitched for the I-Cubs!

Reactions: JimmyChitwood

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012
Why didn’t anyone mention this last year? I seem to remember how excited we all were when he played and scored TD’s. You’d think the astute posters here would have mentioned it earlier. It’s absolutely nothing!

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I’ve always enjoyed watching lefty QB’s, and you’ve missed a few good ones, including but not necessarily limited to: Boomer Esiason, Michael Vick, Scott Mitchell (won me a fantasy league one year) and Bobby Douglas. BD rushed for nearly a thousand yards one year and later pitched for the I-Cubs!
Just a bit back further: Kenny Stabler wasn't so shabby.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
"12 Gauge." I love it!

I hope we're using his wheels as much as his cannon this fall. Dude's built like a linebacker.

I worry about using him too much as a big runner and him getting dinged up. We have other guys who can run the ball. We don't have other guys who can throw like he does.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
For you lefties out there, if you pitched or played QB, how was your coaching growing up?

From a percentage of the population standpoint, the low numbers of leftie QBs makes sense. Even then, does coaching play a factor? I would assume you could flip the footing and mechanics from a righty, but I imagine not being able to demonstrate proper technique may factor into development in some form. I'd have a hard time teaching a child to write left-handed, much less something that requires extensive mechanics.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I worry about using him too much as a big runner and him getting dinged up. We have other guys who can run the ball. We don't have other guys who can throw like he does.
I'm not saying "Collin Klein" him into the hospital. A serious QB running threat really opens up your offense.

• Winner
Reactions: Aclone