Does anyone live in Omaha?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
That's the Dundee neighborhood. Our first apartment was at 50th and California, about five(?) blocks north of Dodge. (The main E-W drag through Omaha)
Edit: And GWad beat me to it.

Again, it depends on where you would be working. If you're working downtown, I really wouldn't look any farther west than 90th St. You would be better off looking at Bellevue/Papillion/LaVista, since they're pretty much directly south of downtown.

Omaha is, I believe, a pretty nice city. I wouldn't mind moving back, but it would put us farther away from both of our families. If you're a baseball fan, and do move out there before mid-June, make sure you get to a couple of the College World Series games at the new ballpark downtown. The atmosphere is a touch more sanitized since they moved out/tore down Rosenblatt, but it's still a great experience.

Yep I lived in a brick duplex 1 block south of Dodge on 50th. I seem to remember a school or or something just to the east of my place? I can't remember the cross street that went e/w just south of Dodge. Anyway it was a great neighborhood to live in.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
That's the Dundee neighborhood. Our first apartment was at 50th and California, about five(?) blocks north of Dodge. (The main E-W drag through Omaha)
Edit: And GWad beat me to it.

Again, it depends on where you would be working. If you're working downtown, I really wouldn't look any farther west than 90th St. You would be better off looking at Bellevue/Papillion/LaVista, since they're pretty much directly south of downtown.

Omaha is, I believe, a pretty nice city. I wouldn't mind moving back, but it would put us farther away from both of our families. If you're a baseball fan, and do move out there before mid-June, make sure you get to a couple of the College World Series games at the new ballpark downtown. The atmosphere is a touch more sanitized since they moved out/tore down Rosenblatt, but it's still a great experience.

Eh, I worked downtown and lived around 168th and Military (technically Bennington) and it was less than a 30 min commute to/from work.

Midtown Crossing and Aksarben are 2 areas that have undergone pretty extensive development recently. Downtown obviously has the Old Market, but North Downtown around the ballpark is growing as well.

Dundee is pretty cool, but small. Has the best pizza in Omaha there (Pitch) and maybe the best overall restaurant (Dario's).

SW Omaha is where much of the action is - malls, bars, restaurants, etc. NW Omaha doesn't really have much at all, except housing developments. Virtually no retail space of any kind.

Papillion/LaVista/Ralston areas aren't bad, and have some nice retail centers (Shadow Lake Towne Center for example).

Tons of golf courses around the area, if you're into that. I knew a few guys who played in an adult baseball league every year as well. Lots of outdoor activities in general.

RyCy04

Sep 26, 2007
Omaha, NE
I have lived in Omaha for 10 years and really enjoy it. As far as people saying to avoid North O, unfortunately Omaha is a very segregated town. North Omaha is predominately an African American community. South Omaha is a very Hispanic community. Aside from that major flaw, it is a very nice town.

For the parts of town to recommend living in, it depends on what you are looking for as a social life. If you are looking to go out several times per week, I would recommend downtown, Dundee, mid-town, and Benson areas. For a slightly more tamed down social life, west Omaha, Millard, Papillion, La Vista, and Bellevue. For small town feel, Elkhorn, Gretna, and Ralston.

Omaha is a 20 minute town. If somebody asks me how long it takes to get somewhere that I am not familiar with, I say it takes 20 minutes to get there.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Crime in north O is waaaay overblown.

Yes and no. There really isn't a lot of crime in the Omaha area in general, but the violent crimes are pretty much isolated to that part of the city. When you hear of a shooting in Omaha (and you WILL hear of shootings), it will likely be in that neighborhood - as cyinne says, probably near 30th and Ames.

kickout

Aug 30, 2013
Yes and no. There really isn't a lot of crime in the Omaha area in general, but the violent crimes are pretty much isolated to that part of the city. When you hear of a shooting in Omaha (and you WILL hear of shootings), it will likely be in that neighborhood - as cyinne says, probably near 30th and Ames.

I just feel it 90% gang related. Not like roaming vigilantes up to no good. If you need to worry about gangs, you probably need to move...I agree though, more shootings than DSM...

Whoever mentioned the segregation (re: North O and La vista) is right. Odd, but it very true and very evident

Still. Love Omaha.

cyowa

Apr 18, 2006
One word = Dundee

Ditto. I would definitely say Dundee. It is truly a charming old neighbor hood with a strip along Underwood street that offers restaurants, bars all older, and tastefully done. I live south of Blondo on 59th street, north of Dodge, not very far from Dundee and The Memorial park area, ( a few blocks). Both areas are great in so many ways, although both can be quite pricey to buy a home and demand for the area is high. But both of my daughters had apartments in Dundee and they were reasonable in price and had the quaint environment that Dundee offers. They liked it in the area so much that they now own their own homes in Dundee and in Country Club. The Country Club area just north of Dundee is great too - again, an old quaint area with winding streets and huge trees. - in fact if I was to move, I'd really consider it at the top of my list. I'm sure I'm much older than the OP, I'm a transplant from eastern Iowa and have lived here for 40 years, but I do love Omaha.

The biggest downside as others have mentioned is Husker and Bluejay fan craziness. But I've learned to ignore most of the hoopla and have become very adept at getting away from the local sports cast by hitting mute and previous channels buttons on my remote. I rarely read the Omaha World Herald sports page --- It is husker and Creighton homer city beyond belief!! By the way, IMO, Hawkeye fans have come out of the woodwork more since nu joined the Big 10, and are a definite presence in Omaha; not like in my hometown of CR, Iowa - but they are definitely a presence.

Much more I could add, but I do think Omaha is a well kept secret as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Good place to live.

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
I just feel it 90% gang related. Not like roaming vigilantes up to no good. If you need to worry about gangs, you probably need to move...I agree though, more shootings than DSM...

Whoever mentioned the segregation (re: North O and La vista) is right. Odd, but it very true and very evident

Still. Love Omaha.

http://www.ibtimes.com/omaha-nebraska-most-dangerous-place-america-be-black-1548466

The Violence Policy Center (VPC), a Washington, D.C.-based research and advocacy group that promotes gun control, determined that in 2011 (the latest year in which comprehensive national data s available), 30 blacks (including 27 in Omaha) were murdered that year in Nebraska -- meaning, the state had a black homicide rate of 34.4 per 100,000 people, double the national average of black victimization. (On VPC's top ranked states by black homicide victimization rates, Nebraska is closely followed by Missouri, 33.4 per 100,000 people, Michigan, 31.5; Pennsylvania, 29.0; and Oklahoma, 25.5.)
Omaha (and particularly its black neighborhoods in the deprived northern and northeastern parts of the city) accounted for almost half of all recorded homicides in Nebraska -- which, overall, sported a relatively low murder rate of less than four per 100,000 people. (The U.S. as a whole has a murder rate of 4.44 per 100,000 people.) Ninety percent of these murders came from the bullet of a gun.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

Still. Love Omaha.

Oh it's most definitely gang/drug related violence. But I wouldn't think about living there or having kids anywhere near the area either. Just not worth the risk.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net
We lived there 17 years ago, so I am sure it has changed. My son is going to college at UNO next year, so have been making a few trips there lately. I loved Omaha when I lived there. Live anywhere west of 90th Street and you should be good.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
It is probably as good as a place to be a young professional as Des Moines, you just trade hok fans for huskers.

Agree, Omaha wouldn't be a bad place to live if that is where your career takes you but have a little problem with your statement. You don't just replace Hok fans with Huskers and call it even. Des Moines is probably now at least 50% Cyclones (and trending upwards) so it isn't a one-for-one trade by any means. That, and now you've even left Big 12 country so on top of being drowned in Husker propaganda you're also flooded with Big Ten garbage. Most important difference - Des Moines metro there are plenty of places to live that can keep you within 30 minutes of Ames.

Again...Omaha is a nice place to live, but don't discount so lightly the difference in living in DM vs Omaha as far as the overall college sport fan environment for an ISU fan.

Bottom-line: it better be a damn good job as Omaha doesn't offer much more than DM considering the trade-off in moving further from Ames/Cyclone media market.

Last edited:

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
I have a job offer in Omaha, and was looking for a place to live and things to do, I would like somewhere with a night life and patio (I love grilling). Any suggestions from fellow cyclones of what to look for/what not to look for? Also things to do in Omaha would be nice, thanks!

Anywhere in Council Bluffs is faster to downtown Omaha. And if you stay away from the Council Bluffs Wal Mart you won't run into as many Hawk and Husker fans. Man that store is awful.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
It completely depends on A) where your job is located B) if you have kids and are worried about school districts and C) what you like to do as to what part of town to live in. I have been here 12 years now and besides the weather I love it here. We live near I680 and Pacific and can get anywhere in town in under 20 minutes. I work an the First National Bank Tower downtown and it only takes me about 15 minutes on a bad day to get there. We chose our location to be in the Distrivt 66 school district and love it here. Millard schools are nice further west as well.

Melvin

Jul 29, 2008
Crete, NE
I actually like Nebby and think Husker fans are much better than Hawk fans, it could just be that the Hawk fans I know are complete D-bags.

Word of advice: Avoid any and all Local Sports Media. The constant 24/7/365 Husker Football is just stupid, for a team that is slightly above average. Make sure you get a DVR so you can fast forward through the Local Sports News, I doubt that you care what a Husker RB can bench press.

I think most Husker fans know that they have zero change of playing for National Title in their lifetime and that Husker Nation has been in Slow Decay for the last 15 yrs.

Otherwise Nebby is ok, no reason to travel outside of Omaha, unless you are going to Colorado.

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Anywhere in Council Bluffs is faster to downtown Omaha. And if you stay away from the Council Bluffs Wal Mart you won't run into as many Hawk and Husker fans. Man that store is awful.
Whenever I am in Omaha for work I run by that store to get a ring or 2 of Pella Bologna, that seems to be the central location for both fan bases.

everyyard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
Saw a recent stat that a black man has a higher chance of being shot to death in Omaha than any other city. I love Omaha, but there are some really rough areas.

ISpyCy

Sep 17, 2011
Harlan, IA/Lincoln, NE
Wherever you move to in the O/CB area, just make sure to give yourself the Lake Manawa Walmart experience. It's a treat you'll never forget.

Omaha is about as rough as any average city of similar size. North Omaha is bad, and, as stated before, the 30th & Ames is ground zero for crime. The Old Market/Gene Leahy Mall is great too.

BroRogan

Mar 16, 2014
Should specify that when people say "North Omaha" that is referring to the northeast part of the city, i.e. roughly everything north of Creighton and east of ~50th street. Outside of that area, and maybe parts of south Omaha, you shouldn't have anything to worry about crime wise

Last edited:

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Yeah I've been told to avoid North Omaha, just a bad part of town?

There are pockets of good and bad. We lived on a cul-de-sac in North Omaha that was the highest point of the city and had a great view of the river.

Also lived on Park Ave, on the north side of downtown, and loved having a neighborhood store, pharmacy, etc

Help Support Us

Become a patron