Does anyone else selfishly hope Royce White is not eligible?

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I want him to play now. I think he'll be around another year any ways

Yep. White is not going to be a one and done player. He could be a great college player but as far as projecting to the NBA he's a bit of a tweener, a strong 6'7 - 6'8 but not quite quick enough to guard NBA 3's and not quite tall enough to guard a lot of 4's. He's not going to be the unlimited upside type of guy that NBA scouts love because of his body type.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
If he plays this year it changes the lineup dramatically.

Without White:

1, Garrett/Jake
2, Scotty/Phillips
3, Jake or Phillips/Ejim
4, Ejim/Godfrey
5, Vanderbeken/Railey

With White:

1, Garrett/Jake
2, Scotty/Phillips
3, Ejim/Phillips
4, White/Godfrey/Ejim
5, JVB/Godfrey

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I would rather see White have a season under his belt before 2011 roars in. No reason to throw everybody to the wolves all at once. Sure, he may bolt, but I doubt it. He is at the very least a 2 year player. ISU needs players on the court right now. White would be a huge addition.

Jun 14, 2010
If he plays this year it changes the lineup dramatically.

Without White:

1, Garrett/Jake
2, Scotty/Phillips
3, Jake or Phillips/Ejim
4, Ejim/Godfrey
5, Vanderbeken/Railey

With White:

1, Garrett/Jake
2, Scotty/Phillips
3, Ejim/Phillips
4, White/Godfrey/Ejim
5, JVB/Godfrey

Without White:
-Garret, Anderson, and Bubu see time at the point.
-Scotty, Phillips, Anderson and maybe Garrett see time at the 2
-Anderson, Garrett, Phillips see time at the 3rd guard spot. Ejim here when we have a power forward.
-Ejim, Godfrey, JVB, Railey, McKnight at the 4. I think this spot will see a lot of subbing.
-JVB, Railey, Godfrey, McKnight. Lots of subbing.

On offense, the 1-3 spots probably are not that distinguishable, although, Garrett will see a ton of time, mostly as the "pg", and Bubu will see a little time, mostly as the "pg". Garrett's length and driving ability make him the best wing guard (the 3) as well, so I think he is the top "back-up" there.

Last edited:

simesclone

Feb 18, 2010
I would rather see White have a season under his belt before 2011 roars in. No reason to throw everybody to the wolves all at once. Sure, he may bolt, but I doubt it. He is at the very least a 2 year player. ISU needs players on the court right now. White would be a huge addition.
Totally agree. He will just make this years team better and the experience will make next years team that much better.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Not saying he won't go pro, but nobody has seen him play a college basketball game yet. So, there are a lot of assumptions being made. That said, if White can play this year, I hope he plays. Any number of things could happen over a year of sitting on the bench that could result in him not being at ISU next year...especially for a guy with his history. The sooner he is on the floor playing, the better for ISU.

ketelmeister

Oct 24, 2006
Royce will play next season, even if he is eliglble this year. I hope he can play, and expect a favorable judgement. This should have been done by now. By the way, best grades on the team right now.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I want him to play this year. He's not good enough to be one and done and he'll want to play the next year with those guys anyway.

WhatMeWorry

Feb 4, 2010
Urbandale
The faster things start happening, the faster we get to where we feel we should be. Nothing is guaranteed in life, enjoy it while it's happening. Need Royce now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
We hold him out to play with the 2017 class because Fred hasn't got that locked down yet.

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
How does the old saying go? "A Royce in hand (2010) is better than two in the bush (2011)." But then again, there you go giving me the tyrrany of the "or" versus the genius of the "and".

"next year" is a defeatest attitude...unless of course you are also a Cubs fan, in which case it might well be reality. Success begets success. Get the ball rolling now. We might take a beating this year with Royce in the line-up. Without him it sounds like we have youth, inexperience and immature body's, not a positive recipe for success in our league. Add a more mature body, and while not making up for the youth and inexperience, at least it helps.

clonz

Aug 7, 2008
At this point I am not against having any players leaving early for the NBA because at least it meant they had a good enough year to deserve it. That and the help it will give us in recruiting are well worth losing the player at this point.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
How does the old saying go? "A Royce in hand (2010) is better than two in the bush (2011)." But then again, there you go giving me the tyrrany of the "or" versus the genius of the "and".

"next year" is a defeatest attitude...unless of course you are also a Cubs fan, in which case it might well be reality. Success begets success. Get the ball rolling now. We might take a beating this year with Royce in the line-up. Without him it sounds like we have youth, inexperience and immature body's, not a positive recipe for success in our league. Add a more mature body, and while not making up for the youth and inexperience, at least it helps.

We also have 2 senior point-guards. Both who are very experienced. And college bball is a guards game.
You throw Royce White down low with those gaurds, and mix in Ejim's defensive ability, I think that team could surprise some people!

drednot57

Apr 26, 2010
Nevada, IA
I absolutely expect Royce to sit out this year. I felt all along his case wasn't very strong. The NCAA taking their time in releasing the decision only strengthens my pessimism in this case. I'm not usually pessimistic about anything, especially ISU athletics. Despite the fact of Royce not playing, I believe the ISU MBB team will have a good (+ .500) record for this season.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron