Doc Sadler

Motown

Feb 26, 2008
I had my doubts about him contributing much to the KU program when they announced his hiring, but he was a huge payoff. Glad to see he's starting out strong in Ames. Really great guy.

Tailg8er

Feb 25, 2011
Johnston
Doc was awesome at the CF tip off party this year. Gave him some crap about the cutoff sweats he was rocking & he just took it in stride. Reminds me of the guys from the Southern Comfort commercials, just doesn't G.A.F.

Happy to have him here.

CynadoAlley

Nov 28, 2010
Siouxland
I definitely feel the defensive rotation has improved a lot since the past couple seasons. The scoring will always be there with Hoiball, so it's awesome to see the defensive improvements.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Hoiberg originally hired Lutz & now has Sadler on his bench. While far from a perfect game, the team definitely had an identity with a lot of new players. Whole staff deserves a lot of credit so far (but we have a long season to go).

Hope Rhoads notices. Fred has had 2 former Head Coaches as assistants. The trend needs duplicated in football.

I have thought we should hire Chiz as water boy ever since Auburn canned him.

I think defense inprovement is combination of Doc and the players we have added. Hogue, Kane, and Thomas all seemed pretty solid on D.

Last edited:

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Combine Doc with the fact that Kane and Hogue are MUCH better defenders than Lucious and Clyburn were makes a noticeable difference

Blowby Lucious and soft Clyburn defense did get better in the last ten games last year. In the NCAA they played defense a lot better. That said, the plugging the middle by Georges worked most of the time yesterday. Georges is much better on defense this year even if he did pick up four fouls

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Blowby Lucious and soft Clyburn defense did get better in the last ten games last year. In the NCAA they played defense a lot better. That said, the plugging the middle by Georges worked most of the time yesterday. Georges is much better on defense this year even if he did pick up four fouls

Georges foul after TO on rebound was silly, but agree he is better on D now. I wonder if he is a step quicker now, he seems to have taken off weight or muscled up some.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Georges foul after TO on rebound was silly, but agree he is better on D now. I wonder if he is a step quicker now, he seems to have taken off weight or muscled up some.

I liked the fact that he played hard with four fouls and never got the fifth. He was key down the stretch.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I caught this on one of the post-game shows last week, too.

We look more athletic and can recover on defense: Kane, Hogue, Melvin, Morris. The Kane hustle to block the ball out of bounds on the Georges goof ball handling could only have been duplicated by Clyburn last year. Looks like Kane has an NBA game. Wow, are we lucky!

WHO ARE THESE GUYS? People recently have been making comparisons to who players remind them of. My guesses are below.

Monte Morris reminds me of a clean, skinnier Mario Chalmers. Mario is having a good year for the Heat, but he still plays a little dirty.

No one compares to Georges unless he is a short, smaller Moses Malone. Moses was a handful around the bucket. Old man game? Who cares if the ball goes in.

Kane is more like Relaford than Hogue is. Kane appears to be better than Relaford since he can run the game from all aspects.

Melvin cleans up messes around the bucket. His three point shot where he faked it a couple times and then shot is what Kobe like to do. His lateral speed allows him to get to rebounds. Who do you think he compares to?

Hogue is like a better Dendy, especially on D. This means we can always have one energizer bunny on the court.

Fred is the chessmaster.

Michigan only had nine fouls shots and just made four. That helped immensely.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I am a Doc Sadler fan and I also hope he sticks around for a long time at ISU. I was elated to find out that Fred added him to the staff. The guy knows basketball, and brings that sage old man knowledge to the bench.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
We look more athletic and can recover on defense: Kane, Hogue, Melvin, Morris. The Kane hustle to block the ball out of bounds on the Georges goof ball handling could only have been duplicated by Clyburn last year. Looks like Kane has an NBA game. Wow, are we lucky!

WHO ARE THESE GUYS? People recently have been making comparisons to who players remind them of. My guesses are below.

Monte Morris reminds me of a clean, skinnier Mario Chalmers. Mario is having a good year for the Heat, but he still plays a little dirty.

No one compares to Georges unless he is a short, smaller Moses Malone. Moses was a handful around the bucket. Old man game? Who cares if the ball goes in.

Kane is more like Relaford than Hogue is. Kane appears to be better than Relaford since he can run the game from all aspects.

Melvin cleans up messes around the bucket. His three point shot where he faked it a couple times and then shot is what Kobe like to do. His lateral speed allows him to get to rebounds. Who do you think he compares to?

Hogue is like a better Dendy, especially on D. This means we can always have one energizer bunny on the court.

Fred is the chessmaster.

Michigan only had nine fouls shots and just made four. That helped immensely.
Hate this comparison.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
I love Doc Sadler. I was extremely excited when I heard Hoiberg added him to the staff. I truly hope he stays at Iowa State for awhile, but I think Doc will eventually take a head coaching job sooner then later. The dude knows basketball. Even though it didn't quite work out at Nebraska (nobody really wins there), he is a good coach, his teams are tenacious (were seeing that with our team just 3 games in) and he can recruit. Players seem to really like him as well.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

I agree. Clyburn's defense was key in the OSU game after Babb got hurt.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Kane is Kane. I don't see many guards that can do what he does as far as score, rebound, assist and play D. Probably the closest comparison is Stinson.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron