Do you want Tom Manning as the OC?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do you want Tom Manning as OC?

• Yes

Votes: 193 73.1%
  • No

Votes: 71 26.9%

• Total voters

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Pulling Purdy would be ridiculous. But criticizing the refusal to alter failing game plans is valid. I'm almost resigned to the fact we will give up > 50% of third and longs because we refuse to bring more than 3 guys greater than 10% of the time. How many times do we have to watch teams find zone soft spots because the QB has all day to throw the ball? How many times will Manning call plays that predictably result in a rushed Purdy throw? I think the biggest flaw of this staff is that they are stubborn to a fault.

I’d say they altered the gameplan quite a bit last game

• Agree
Reactions: keepngoal

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
In a normal season losing multiple OL and multiple WR's to injury absolutely would have buried us. We're not as good as we have been but we're chugging along scoring plenty of points. Nothing is perfect. Nothing.

Remember 2002 when we lost I think our 2 best linemen?

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Hey guys just remember next Saturday Courtney Messingham is coming to town as Kansas States offensive coordinator.

Reactions: Statefan10

Scott34

Mar 16, 2007
Cedar Rapids
It seems that Tom's biggest challenge is not out thinking himself. With that being said, I thought he called one of his better games Saturday.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
We don't need to throw jump balls to our TE's when we can scheme up routes where they can get open and use their size to make the catch. You're arguing that we should throw more jump balls to them but they're not lined up on the outsides. You don't throw jump balls to guys in the slots.

We're currently ranked 27th in the nation and #1 in the Big 12 in sacks given up. That's pretty darn good if you ask me. I also don't know how you're even trying to discredit Heacock and our defensive scheme when it's actually been INCREDIBLY effective. How in the hell could you say it hasn't been?? And you're saying we have to change what's not working to beat the best... We are currently the best.

That's because we have A) a mobile QB and B) a QB that is more likely to heave an ill-advised throw than take a "smart" sack. All but maybe one of his interceptions occurred when he was under duress and several more poor throws have occurred because of pressure. First half of Baylor, OSU, basically every game in which we've struggled (first game Brock was simply terrible) pressure has been a problem. In that OSU game we didn't adjust, at all.

As to the "jump balls" you are taking that too literally. What's the point of having a 6' 6" TE if you are going to throw it to his chest or throw it (only) when he's open? I'm not advocating for making ill-advised throws and praying they come down with its, rather placing the ball where only THEY can get it. Brock has the ability to make those throws, yet we rarely utilize the height advantage we have at the position. Not only are the TEs tall they have very reliable hands. Why not use that to your advantage when we struggle, as a team, to get consistent separation down field? We should be brutalizing teams over the middle with that size advantage (as well as utilizing chip blocks prior to release). But we aren't.

"And you're saying we have to change what's not working to beat the best... We are currently the best" As for this quote, we are 1-1 against "the best" with 2 game left to go. Consistently, under Campbell's tenure, we have struggled to adjust "against the best" when things aren't working. The 3 man rush has absolutely killed us on 3rd and longs between throwing time and scrambles yet we still stick with it. Iowa won the game by converting on some ridiculous 3rd/4th and long situations (one Stanley scramble was particularly back breaking). I can't find a stat on 3rd and 5+ but I'd be willing to bet (heavily) we'd be a bottom 20 team over the last 3 years. The number of times QBs have 5+ seconds to throw against us is maddening (and a testament to our back 8).

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
ISU: Has the best start in program history

ISU fans:

iu

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
This Manning guy ain't half bad.

This Manning guy can keep his job I guess. :)

But seriously, when you don't turn the ball over and commit stupid penalty after stupid penalty, and allow kick off and punt returns for touchdowns..... things can look pretty good.

I'd have to go back and watch the tape, but did KSU blitz us much? I didn't remember that they did, but I could be wrong. My biggest beef with Manning has always been his inability to do anything against the blitz. I think he better be preparing this whole week for Texas to bring the heat all game on Friday with multiple blitzers.

But yes, a great game by Manning last night indeed!

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I haven't seen Purdy that mobile since mid-season last year. IMO that alone makes Manning a 'better play caller'. We seem to now have a dimension of the offense back in action.

and holy hell does it take pressure off of Hall. BTW, is he dinged up? Or simply played till he wasn't needed. Both?

trevn

Jerome Tang Surveillance Team
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Eastern Iowa
I haven't seen Purdy that mobile since mid-season last year. IMO that alone makes Manning a 'better play caller'. We seem to now have a dimension of the offense back in action.

and holy hell does it take pressure off of Hall. BTW, is he dinged up? Or simply played till he wasn't needed. Both?

I haven't heard anything. I just assumed they were managing his workload trying to keep him as fresh as they can for the rest of the season.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
I haven't heard anything. I just assumed they were managing his workload trying to keep him as fresh as they can for the rest of the season.
When Nwangwu was in early I had that thought. And then it happened often throughout the game it had me wondering more.