Do you need a car at Iowa State?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Just graduated. Barely used it freshman year living in the dorms. Used it quite a bit the last three years living off campus. Not a necessity but it is very nice to have

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
I literally have my wife and two daughters today because one fateful evening I dropped the "i'll give you a ride to class if you stay."

• Friendly
Reactions: 2020cy

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I lived on Welch Ave and walked to my classes. Parking was limited at our apartment so I parked it out at the old dairy farm (I worked there) and I'd often go a few days without driving it. When it got really crappy in the winter we would sometimes park our cars in the Pavilion out there (the one where they found the body a few years back) so it was like having a garage.

As others have said, it's not a need, but it was nice to have, especially on weekends and during the winter.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
I voted no because it's not a "need" by definition, but I wouldn't want to be without one, especially living off-campus after your first year.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City
While I had a car while I was there, I didn't need it. It sat for long periods of time, especially when I lived in the Friley.

Then I moved to Hyland street, two blocks from Campus for the rest of my time, and still didn't need it. I used it a lot more then, mainly grocery/alcohol runs, but I didn't need it.

cyclonpediaJoe

Jun 27, 2012
Norwalk
Nope. I walked from Towers four years when CyRide just started going.

First ISU son bought one when got an internship that required one and made him able to afford one.

Current ISU son just got one for internship reasons. He can haul around his brother next year if he needs it.

Walking and biking helps prevent the freshman fifteen and other calamities.

My body thought it was the freshman 30......

• Funny
Reactions: carvers4math

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
As a freshman, probably not. You can always find friends that have one. Once you live off campus, even close to campus, it’s a necessity.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I voted no because it's not a "need" by definition, but I wouldn't want to be without one, especially living off-campus after your first year.

Would agree with this.

Can you survive without a car? Sure. Hell, one could say this for most cities. One can survive in des moines, for example, without a vehicle. It would suck, but it is possible and people do it.

With as spread out as things are in ames, between all the stuff (pretty much all your shopping) that's out on duff, and all the housing that is spread all over the city (particularly out west), even though there are technically bus routes, they arent always running frequently\at all depending on time of day.

And if your answer is 'just use someone else's car'.. you're effectively saying 'you need a car', you're just passing that buck on to someone else.

• Agree
Reactions: cycart

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
You definitely don't need one just for getting to and from classes, it'd be all the other stuff that it'd be much nicer to have one. Going to the store, out to eat, etc.

pdxclone

Feb 7, 2007
Metropolis of Ames
Like the other posts, depends on where you live. While I carpooled home for breaks during my first two years, it was sure nice to have one when I moved out of the dorms.

IlliniCy

May 21, 2008
"You should have your own car so you don't have to borrow someone else's".....Cameron Lard

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I literally have my wife and two daughters today because one fateful evening I dropped the "i'll give you a ride to class if you stay."

Did you by chance drive a Bronco?

pal4.png

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Your wife is easily manipulated? I don't think she'd appreciate you saying that publicly. :)

ha! she tells people all the time, manipulated isn't the word I would use, more like, confident. "This dude was just gonna give me a ride to class after a hook up, now we have been together 14 years and have two kids"

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Having a car at ISU is like having a boat. The best car//boat, is one that your friend owns but you can enjoy the benefits of.

• Agree
Reactions: 2020cy

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Lived on campus with no car for two years, then moved off campus with a car. Even off campus I still took the bus to class because of the parking situation. I drove for everything else. Off campus with a car was my preference between the two.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
I've lived there with one, and without one.
Having the car makes it easy to travel off campus. But when I lived in the Apartments, the buses were incredibly easy to use and ran at times that rarely were an issue. I only used my car regularly when getting groceries for the apartment, when doing overnighters at the design center, and it was handy to have when planning to return home for a weekend. Once in a great while, I took a trip into the countryside to help alleviate that sense of being surrounded by the school. In the dead of winter, there might be more reason to use one, but that implies that your car is not parked in some lot quite a walk from where you live (unlikely). When I lived in the dorms, the car would sit for weeks unused.

Now if you have classes at Vet Med, and live on campus, I would speculate that a car is vital (though I'm sure the buses still run there).

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I feel like it's the same as a boat. You just need a friend with one.

Help Support Us

Become a patron