Do OU and Texas stay through 2025?

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
wheres-my-money-stewie.gif

tplumm

Mar 3, 2010
Ankeny
LSU, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M are all vastly superior programs to anything the Big Ten (West) can offer. One of those three won a national title not too long ago. Alabama is just such a Death Star that whatever division or pod it is in kind of becomes the group of death by default.

Everyone keeps talking about Alabama, and rightly so given the Saban effect. But if you look 5 years out, I‘m betting they will return to the pack and another program will become the alpha. I think the older Saban gets, the more his age/retirement will be used against him in recruiting. It will end Bama getting the best of the best every year. College football is cyclical and I expect that downturn is not too far away for Bama

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Big 12 adding the other 4 was a great move, because now the conference can go on whenever OU and TX leave. I'm sure they were thinking ISU or OSU or someone would bolt to another conference and then the rest would follow suit, and the whole thing would fall apart and then they wouldn't have to pay anything.

What year do the other 4 teams join? 2023? That is the year I would expect OU and TX to depart.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I'm really curious to see the division setup in the Big 12 especially at 14 for a couple years.

If I'm the Big 12, OU and Texas are going to Provo, Cincinnati, Orlando and Houston a lot.
I say NO DIVISIONS. Let the top 2 teams play each other every year.

Reactions: CYCLNST8

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
Didn’t the big ten take Maryland and Rutgers for TV markets? Things may be a little different but Texas and OU bring lots of viewers and high ratings. Any conference would consider them.
Rutgers brought nothing....their area is all pro.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines
I think there will be some sort of settlement with ESPN and the AAC that has them exiting in 2023 and all four new members coming in at the same time. It will likely be in conjunction with a new TV deal that keeps the per-school payout pretty close to what it is now, and the B12 drops all possibilities of litigation.
100% agree. With other 3 P5 conferences “aligned” ESPN faces a future of needing games. Some sort of settlement seems possible.

Of course the evil side of me hopes the Big 12 somehow finds a way to screw OU and UT

• Winner
Reactions: twojman

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
I say NO DIVISIONS. Let the top 2 teams play each other every year.

Agreed. Protected (regional) rivalries and rotate the rest.

8 game conference slate for more scheduling freedom. Preserve/reestablish matchups such as The Backyard Brawl & Bedlam. Also makes it easier for teams to reach bowl eligibility. Everyone in the SEC other than Vanderbilt qualified. That’s more money in the pot.

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
Remember that Fox is going to have to agree to anything as well - are they going to let ESPN get OU and Texas properties sooner?

Good question.
While OUT wants to go, and we'd love see them gone yesterday, with six teams of attorneys involved and a considerable amount of cash on the line, this will not get settled quickly.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Haven't read the entire thread, but OU & Texas moving to SEC could very well coincide with when the CFB Playoff expands to 12 teams.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If you go to 2- 8 team divisions, then you only have one crossover game per year if they stay with an 8 game conference schedule. No one wants to sign up for rarely playing the other half of the same conference schools. Pods would be the way to go, or at least expand to 9 conference games but that is still not a perfect system with 16 teams in the league.

OU and UT will stay through next season, anything after that is a guess by everyone, going to cost both schools major bucks to leave, so it will all depend on how fast it takes UT to rebuild their program.

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
SEC EAST

Alabama
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

SEC WEST

Arkansas
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Missouri
Oklahoma
Texas
Texas A&M
No way Bama will allow that. They only play Georgia once every 12 years now.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
Agreed. Protected (regional) rivalries and rotate the rest.

8 game conference slate for more scheduling freedom. Preserve/reestablish matchups such as The Backyard Brawl & Bedlam. Also makes it easier for teams to reach bowl eligibility. Everyone in the SEC other than Vanderbilt qualified. That’s more money in the pot.

Backyard Brawl is WVU vs. Pitt . . . not a conference game.

Unsure if you were confused or thinking somehow the Big 12 would "help" that come back as a yearly non-con?

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Haven't read the entire thread, but OU & Texas moving to SEC could very well coincide with when the CFB Playoff expands to 12 teams.
Btw the rumors I’ve been hearing are for an 8 team playoff not 12. A lot of AD’s are worried it would devalue the regular season and potentially cost them money. 5 conference champions with 3 at large is the rumor and also my personal preference for the new playoffs. Obv nothing is concrete but it’s being discussed

browns4cy

Sep 3, 2014
In my opinion they work something out where the New 4 start next season and Texas and Oklahoma pay to make that happen

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron