Do OU and Texas stay through 2025?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
These issues only expedite their move imo. Best way to move on and get the fans distracted. They'll get tons of hype, their egos will be reinflated and they'll move on. Far too much arrogance with these two programs to just sit around face rebuilding in a league they think they are too good for

Reactions: WhoISthis

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Big names. They definitely want them.

This. The SEC still absolutely wants them. Losing season or no, Texas still pulls more eyeballs than just about any other program in the country. And Oklahoma is still a massive brand as well, regardless of Riley leaving. They're still two giant additions to the conference. There's no second guessing on the SEC's part. It's still a massive win for them.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Just posted this in the Riley USC thread but feels appropriate here too. From an OU fan.

“I got from 3 trustworthy folks that Lincoln hated the SEC move and “didn’t feel heard” (had to put that in quotes bc it was mentioned multiple times and just sounds funny to me, like marriage counseling). LSU was never a thing. There’s been tension since the SEC deal that our AD thought he could get ironed out but has been preparing for Riley to possibly jump to NFL this year (at least he was close) but did get wind of Riley going to USC as early as before the Baylor game.”

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
If I were them I would go and take my lumps, waiting 4 years isn’t going to help a rebuild.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This. The SEC still absolutely wants them. Losing season or no, Texas still pulls more eyeballs than just about any other program in the country. And Oklahoma is still a massive brand as well, regardless of Riley leaving. They're still two giant additions to the conference. There's no second guessing on the SEC's part. It's still a massive win for them.

Win for the SEC, but will it be a win for the Cows and Boomer on the field?

On field performance probably doesn't matter much with the checks rolling in. At least the Cows are used to losing

• Agree
Reactions: cygrads

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I don’t think OU and Texas are going anywhere. Their buyout is freaking massive. 3 more years is my guess, but 1 for sure

Reactions: Neptune78

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
With texas football being in shambles and OU losing its coach without an obvious replacement (and likely some top recruits and current players) do you think they will stay in the big 12 for the remainder of their contract? It was widely assumed that they would be gone within a year or two but it would be a death sentence to move to the SEC with the state of their current programs.
Get out ASAP. They need to get out before everyone realizes the conference differences are moot, and in reality any weaknesses are their own. Imagine the perception damage done from being mid-pack in the 14 team Big 12.

UT lost to KU. Any change is welcome. Losing to nearly any SEC program will be better for that program's perception than staying in the Big 12, and also losing. SOS is not the hurdle to success. Never has been. They are the same program that can beat UGa and give eventual champs LSU their best game, but lose to mid-level Big 12 teams.

OU needs to go for the same reason they wanted to leave. Losing to mediocre KSU teams is harder to take than losing to equally average SEC teams. They want to hide behind the SEC cloak imo. Personally, I don't think it matters. They're on borrowed time, and running from themselves, whilst blaming the Big 12 for them not being Bama.

Any notion the Big 12 had at giving them a settlement went out. The best thing for the Big 12 is to get the new 4 teams to play OU and UT for as many years as possible.

• Winner
Reactions: HFCS and TheSammo

Neptune78

Aug 12, 2020
East of Neptune, IA.
The Big12 attorneys who are on the clock are most likely going to string this out for 1-2 more seasons while they "negotiate the best possible outcome" for the remaining Big12 teams.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not a chance. This divorce is getting kinda nasty with how OU fans were blaming refs.

OU fans are almost as bad as Tx, I follow DirtBurglars a little they ALWAYS complain about having 11am K.O. There is nothing wrong with that time at all. Then if they don't win it's the officials. I really won't mind both of those fan bases being gone.

• Agree
Reactions: matt and TheSammo

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
OU fans are almost as bad as Tx, I follow DirtBurglars a little they ALWAYS complain about having 11am K.O. There is nothing wrong with that time at all. Then if they don't win it's the officials. I really won't mind both of those fan bases being gone.
They have such a weird thing about kickoff times and it being indicative of how they need to leave the Big 12.

Really, it is more than that. They've been manufacturing reasons as to why the Big 12 has been holding them back for years. Between that and Boren's comments, anyone that tells you they were shocked OU left does not know any OU fans. The timing was a bit of a surprise, but that is likely due to A&M leaking

• Agree
Reactions: Kinch and NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, going east will ensure later kickoffs…..???

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Win for the SEC, but will it be a win for the Cows and Boomer on the field?

On field performance probably doesn't matter much with the checks rolling in. At least the Cows are used to losing

I think OU will be ok. If the SEC really wanted to screw with Tx they would front load their schedule with the big names, let them finish their yr with 3 or so wins. Longhorn fans heads would explode. They are already off the deep end about this yr. LOL.

Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think OU will be ok. If the SEC really wanted to screw with Tx they would front load their schedule with the big names, let them finish their yr with 3 or so wins. Longhorn fans heads would explode. They are already off the deep end about this yr. LOL.
Depends how they split teams. Do they get bama in their grouping?

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
JP talked about this a few weeks ago on the coaches show.

The hang up is media rights. Fox Sports will have to be willing to give up media rights to OUT games and give them to ABC/ESPN.

So, as things stand right now, they are staying till the end of the contract. And, OUT will still have to give up two years of conference distributions in damages.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Practical question: What are the updated timelines for new schools to join? I've seen BYU as '22, Cincinnati as "no later than 2024" ... but I'm not certain ... Anyway, if UT and OU leave after this school year, who do The Leftovers schedule in '22 for football, beyond the remaining 7 and already schedule non-con? How will that work?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Practical question: What are the updated timelines for new schools to join? I've seen BYU as '22, Cincinnati as "no later than 2024" ... but I'm not certain ... Anyway, if UT and OU leave after this school year, who do The Leftovers schedule in '22 for football, beyond the remaining 7 and already schedule non-con? How will that work?
Saw the AAC schools as 2023. Thinking they plan all 4 that year for ease.

• Informative
Reactions: cyclones500