DJK arrest for popping pills in his drug house...

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
This is going to get very ugly:

Star athlete lives in home where drugs were sold.
Roommate of star athlete charged with selling
Roommate of star athlete comes from a family with some wealth
Athlete shows up in court wearing a sharp-looking suit and with his attourney
Roommate of star athlete has arraignment in orange jumpsuit via video conference from jail

Now my background in law goes only as far as watching reruns of Law & Order, but when there is wealth and reputation on the line for both parties and their families, I'd be willing to bet more students (perhaps even student-athletes) are going to named connected to this case.

Not good news in Iowa City at all...

Well the whole athlete in suit is the defense trying to make him look like he is proffessional, or trying to show the judge he is not a scum bag. If what you say about the roommate being wealthy, I don't get why he is not there in a suit with lawyers. Unless they are planning on him taking the fall, and trying to detract all of the problems from DJK....

Last edited:

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Not sure if anyone saw, but they sealed the warrant because of ongoing investigation. Which to me says they are still trying to arrest people involved, unless I am mistaken.

Judge Seals Warrant In 'DJK' Arrest - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines

and just saw the KCRG link up there sorry. This may get interesting.

I, and many others, feel that the cops are interested in whoever these guys are getting their stuff from (probably specifically who the roommate got his stuff from). Their operation didn't scream 'big time' so, I'm guessing the cops are interested in taking down whatever network exists.

Yes, because teams never take flyers on players convicted of drugs:jimlad:. he cost himself some but he will still get a shot.

Yup. Depending on his punishment, he may get a shot to try out for a few teams. Somebody may pick him up, and then depending on his attitude and skill, he may get a shot at actually playing.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
This is going to get very ugly:

Star athlete lives in home where drugs were sold.
Roommate of star athlete charged with selling
Roommate of star athlete comes from a family with some wealth
Athlete shows up in court wearing a sharp-looking suit and with his attourney
Roommate of star athlete has arraignment in orange jumpsuit via video conference from jail

I wouldn't read to much into that, DJK was bailed out earlier so he had time go put on a suit. Plus he's being charged with using drugs, his roommate is being charged with selling them. Huge difference there.

If this spreads to a larger portion of the Hawk team and they all are suspended for the first few games and/or kicked off the team that would be amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of their starters sitting out against us.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
Well the whole athlete in suit is the defense trying to make him look like he is proffessional, or trying to show the judge he is not a scum bag. If what you say about the roommate being wealthy, I don't get why he is not there in a suit with lawyers. Unless they are planning on him taking the fall, and trying to detract all of the problems from DJK....

DJK got out on bail, his roommate was still in jail when he made his initial court appearance. I don't think cops would be interested in who DJK's roommate sold to, it's more likely that they're investigating who he bought the drugs from, working up the supply chain, not down.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
DJK got out on bail, his roommate was still in jail when he made his initial court appearance. I don't think cops would be interested in who DJK's roommate sold to, it's more likely that they're investigating who he bought the drugs from, working up the supply chain, not down.

I was commenting on the fact the big difference between DJK and his roommate and how it is weird his roommate isn't out on bail if his family supposedly has money.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
I was commenting on the fact the big difference between DJK and his roommate and how it is weird his roommate isn't out on bail if his family supposedly has money.

DJK paid the $800 for his $8000 bail, through what I assume must have been a bail bondsmen. His roommate had a $10000 bail, IIRC, and perhaps he or his family couldn't or wouldn't pay it?

mitchforcy

Dec 1, 2009
I wouldn't read to much into that, DJK was bailed out earlier so he had time go put on a suit. Plus he's being charged with using drugs, his roommate is being charged with selling them. Huge difference there.

If this spreads to a larger portion of the Hawk team and they all are suspended for the first few games and/or kicked off the team that would be amazing. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of their starters sitting out against us.

I've heard not too many people on the team like him much so i doubt it would.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
DJK paid the $800 for his $8000 bail, through what I assume must have been a bail bondsmen. His roommate had a $10000 bail, IIRC, and perhaps he or his family couldn't or wouldn't pay it?

Again like I said, IF his roommate's fam has money it doesn't make sense. You realize the difference needed to pay the bail for his roommate is $200, bringing it to a cool thousand.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Felony is a much more serious charge.

I realize this but regardless, getting out, getting into a suit and looking respectable can do wonders for you, especially if you have the money to do so as one poster commented earlier.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Again like I said, IF his roommate's fam has money it doesn't make sense. You realize the difference needed to pay the bail for his roommate is $200, bringing it to a cool thousand.

We don't know how DJK got his $800. Like I said, perhaps his roommate's parents weren't going to post the bail for him, and he didn't have a $1000? I've never been arrested. I have no idea how the bail/bonds system works.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010

If my son had been arrested for the second time for selling drugs, I would be in no hurry to bail him out, I would let him sit in jail for a while.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
We don't know how DJK got his $800. Like I said, perhaps his roommate's parents weren't going to post the bail for him, and he didn't have a $1000? I've never been arrested. I have no idea how the bail/bonds system works.

Usually if your bond is set at 10,000 you go to a bail bondsmen and pay them 10%. Then they post the full 10,000 for you and keep your 10%(1,000). This lets you be out, and work and live a semi normal life which lets you go to work and be with your family.

You are expected to go to court on time and fulfill any duties you are expected too. If you don't people like Dwayne "dog" chapman hunt you down and throw you back in jail and revoke your bond.

If you go to court and do everything you are supposed to the court gives the bail bondsmen their money back and the bail bondsmend keeps your 10%.

The idea is that it costs you more money to sit in jail(ie can't work) than it does to pay a bail bondsmen to pay the full price.

No I haven't gone to jail.

Edit: I kind of used the terms bail and bond just randomly, I remember there is a small difference, I am not exactly sure what it is at this point.

edr247

Aug 4, 2010
Usually if your bond is set at 10,000 you go to a bail bondsmen and pay them 10%. Then they post the full 10,000 for you and keep your 10%(1,000). This lets you be out, and work and live a semi normal life which lets you go to work and be with your family.

You are expected to go to court on time and fulfill any duties you are expected too. If you don't people like Dwayne "dog" chapman hunt you down and throw you back in jail and revoke your bond.

If you go to court and do everything you are supposed to the court gives the bail bondsmen their money back and the bail bondsmend keeps your 10%.

The idea is that it costs you more money to sit in jail(ie can't work) than it does to pay a bail bondsmen to pay the full price.

No I haven't gone to jail.

Edit: I kind of used the terms bail and bond just randomly, I remember there is a small difference, I am not exactly sure what it is at this point.

This is pretty much how much I know about the system, based off of the Wiki entry.

As for the actual issue of why DJK is out and his roommate isn't, I have no idea.