DJI Mavic

Cyville55

Oct 10, 2009
Hey all! Just curious if any of you are into flying drones. I am thinking of investing into one to take farm photos, property photos, etc. just wondering if there are many services like thay out there, and if it would even be worth the investment. Thanks!

exCYtement

Feb 28, 2011
Ames
I just bought a DJI Phantom 3 Refurbished this fall for $315 from Newegg. The phantom 3 doesn't have the hype that the Mavic has, but it does a fantastic job for half the price. Here's a video of one of my first flights with it.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I really don't get the "value" in drone photos / video. Just a gimmick in most cases. Perhaps farmland is a different story as it is hard to view it all.

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
Flying a drone, unmanned aerial system or unmanned aerial vehicle, is broken into two basic types: hobby and commercial. Simplistically stated, Hobby is done strictly for fun, relaxation, your own enjoyment. Commercial is for any sort of gain. Hobby has a set of guidelines/rules you must/should follow. Those rules are usually established by a national community based organization: the Aeronautical Modeling Academy. Commercial flying is strictly regulated by the FAA. A remote pilot's license is required and obtained by passing a 60 question, multiple choice test covering FAA regulations, classes of airspace, reading sectional charts (aviation maps), understanding aviation weather reports, etc, etc. Plus a basic background check.

There are many hobby or commercial operators/pilots in the Des Moines, Ames, Ankeny and other State of Iowa areas. Locally the $150 remote pilot's test is administered in Ankeny.

Last edited:

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Flying a drone, unmanned aerial system or unmanned aerial vehicle, is broken into two basic types: hobby and commercial. Simplistically stated, Hobby is done strictly for fun, relaxation, your own enjoyment. Commercial is for any sort of gain. Hobby has a set of guidelines/rules you must/should follow. Those rules are usually established by a national community based organization: the Aeronautical Modeling Academy. Commercial flying is strictly regulated by the FAA. A remote pilot's license is required and obtained by passing a 60 question, multiple choice test covering FAA regulations, classes of airspace, reading sectional charts (aviation maps), understanding aviation weather reports, etc, etc. Plus a basic background check.

There are many hobby or commercial operators/pilots in the Des Moines, Ames, Ankeny and other State of Iowa areas. Locally the $150 remote pilot's test is administered in Ankeny.

One small clarification is that as a hobbyist you are still required to adhere to the limitation of not going above 400 feet, not flying withing five miles of an airport or heliport (hospitals). I HIGHLY reccomend downloading and using the FAAs drone app B4UFLY and as a real pilot PLEASE abide by the rules/laws.

https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/b4ufly/

I have looked at getting one but I always come back to the fact that I could use that money to actually fly.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have a Mavic and convinced my Uncle to get one when I took it to the family farm. He is renting from another farm a couple miles away and I showed him he could go and check on his cattle from the comfort of his house. We eventually got an auto flight pattern worked in and all he does is turn it on, press a button on the app and off it goes.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I have a Mavic and convinced my Uncle to get one when I took it to the family farm. He is renting from another farm a couple miles away and I showed him he could go and check on his cattle from the comfort of his house. We eventually got an auto flight pattern worked in and all he does is turn it on, press a button on the app and off it goes.

FYI this is illegal.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
I am part 107 certified and do commercial flights for aerial mapping, topographic surveys, oblique imagery, and general construction monitoring. We use a Phantom 4 Pro and wanting to get a Matrice 210 to have more lidar capabilities and a top mounted camera for bridge inspections and such. We also have a Trimble UX5 (fixed wing) for flying larger jobs that can cover hundreds of acres with a couple flights.

It is extremely annoying when people don't follow the regulations in place because it just gives the general public an annoyance with drones.

• Winner
Reactions: wxman1

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I am part 107 certified and do commercial flights for aerial mapping, topographic surveys, oblique imagery, and general construction monitoring. We use a Phantom 4 Pro and wanting to get a Matrice 210 to have more lidar capabilities and a top mounted camera for bridge inspections and such. We also have a Trimble UX5 (fixed wing) for flying larger jobs that can cover hundreds of acres with a couple flights.

It is extremely annoying when people don't follow the regulations in place because it just gives the general public an annoyance with drones.

And other pilots. Same annoyance goes to other fixed wing pilots that buzz or fly recklessly.

I passed the 107 online test but have not been signed off since I am not current in fixed wing at this time. Hope to change that next year, no idea if I will ever use the 107 but if I can get it why not.

Cyowan008

Feb 27, 2014
Ankeny, IA
And other pilots. Same annoyance goes to other fixed wing pilots that buzz or fly recklessly.

I passed the 107 online test but have not been signed off since I am not current in fixed wing at this time. Hope to change that next year, no idea if I will ever use the 107 but if I can get it why not.

My dad is a corporate pilot so he has been giving me a hard time about making sure I'm out of his way as well.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
My dad is a corporate pilot so he has been giving me a hard time about making sure I'm out of his way as well.

I try to not be a **** about it but it is probably one of the biggest threats (outside of ATC privatization) to general aviation. If drones stay below 400-500 feet and away from airports and airplanes stay above that other than taking off and landing we can all do our thing and go home safe and happy. Sadly most people don't take the time/care about learning about regulations nor do they care about abiding by them.

LowOverhead

Jun 15, 2015
Was SE Iowa
It is also unfortunate that some one purchases what essentially is a toy and the vendor or manufacturer of said toy has no legal obligation to tell the purchaser the toy is regulated.

So that a farmer observing their cows, pigs or crops is commercial use and flying beyond visual line of sight is forbidden. Well at least until the rules are restructured to designate 200 - 500 feet the restricted space for Amazon delivery flights.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Those little micro quads can be fun too and some are priced as a good entry into the hobby but I do not have the finesse needed to fly them.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
The NTSB has concluded that a drone is to blame for a Army Blackhawk making an emergency landing. The drone and helicopter collided causing damage to a blade and the engine cooler. The drone operator was untrained, had not registered the drone and was flying it outside of visual range. All three of which are in violation of the FARs.

https://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/101/3880-full.html?ET=avweb:e3880:304074a:&st=email#230048

The drone was not to blame.

An inexperienced, unqualified, illegal pilot was to blame. Kinda like the gun debate. (runs away)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron